• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Man, reading about that Mother killed by road rage. Turns out it wasn't a stranger as the Police and family told the media, it was their freaking neighbor. It was a setup to get the neighbor 19y/o to come out of hiding. They arrested him today.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Back when I was a kid, I was signed up for nuclear engineering in the Navy. Most of the nuclear assignments were subs. Rolled my ankle really bad playing basketball the week before ship date, tore a ligament. 6 months later, I was healed up, new ship date was 1 year out. Army gave me ship date in 1 week, so in the Army I went.
    The night before I was supposed to leave, they put me in a hotel downtown. Had friends come over and party, was late to the MEPS center. Stayed home an extra day.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Man, reading about that Mother killed by road rage. Turns out it wasn't a stranger as the Police and family told the media, it was their freaking neighbor. It was a setup to get the neighbor 19y/o to come out of hiding. They arrested him today.
    Where did that happen?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And this stuff is fun to play with
    Composition H6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Real stable. Unless you melt it. Once it goes from solid to liquid, not so solid.

I'm interested

H6 is used in "underwater munitions". Guess what kind of "underwater munitions" are on subs. Torpedoes.

In a fire on a sub, you have to worry about the burning, and you have to worry because it is sucking down your oxygen (you don't have an infinite suppy of 02).

1st fire team fights the fire. Usually a man on the nozzle, and two men on the hose.
    2nd fire team sprays water on the fire to keep them cool and burning up because you can't get far from the fire like you can on land.
    (Nowadays they have special fire fighting "ensemble" to fight the fire, no longer need 2nd team to spray 1st team. But in my day, dungarees was firefighting gear).
    Then you have a "man in charge" directing the fight.
    And usually a guy for comms, either on a phone, or a runner.

Now a fire in the torpedo room. That's special.
    We had 9 torps sitting there. Each torpedo can split a destroyer in half, and that's from the outside. Inside the pressure hull will focus the blast.
    So, 1st team fights the fire.
    2nd team keeps the torpedoes cool to keep the H6 (we called it torpex, but that's actually no longer used) from melting.
    The act of stepping on the melted H6 would detonate.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Back when I was a kid, I was signed up for nuclear engineering in the Navy. Most of the nuclear assignments were subs. Rolled my ankle really bad playing basketball the week before ship date, tore a ligament. 6 months later, I was healed up, new ship date was 1 year out. Army gave me ship date in 1 week, so in the Army I went.

Big difference.

Besides, I signed up to be a nuke as a junior in high school. Already waited a year. I'd have waited another year.
    Didn't want to be a "bullet catcher".

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And this stuff is fun to play with
    Composition H6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Real stable. Unless you melt it. Once it goes from solid to liquid, not so solid.

H6 is used in "underwater munitions". Guess what kind of "underwater munitions" are on subs. Torpedoes.

In a fire on a sub, you have to worry about the burning, and you have to worry because it is sucking down your oxygen (you don't have an infinite suppy of 02).

1st fire team fights the fire. Usually a man on the nozzle, and two men on the hose.
    2nd fire team sprays water on the fire to keep them cool and burning up because you can't get far from the fire like you can on land.
    (Nowadays they have special fire fighting "ensemble" to fight the fire, no longer need 2nd team to spray 1st team. But in my day, dungarees was firefighting gear).
    Then you have a "man in charge" directing the fight.
    And usually a guy for comms, either on a phone, or a runner.

Now a fire in the torpedo room. That's special.
    We had 9 torps sitting there. Each torpedo can split a destroyer in half, and that's from the outside. Inside the pressure hull will focus the blast.
    So, 1st team fights the fire.
    2nd team keeps the torpedoes cool to keep the H6 (we called it torpex, but that's actually no longer used) from melting.
    The act of stepping on the melted H6 would detonate.

And yes, we had fires. I was on an old submarine.
    We had fires, flooding, "loss of depth control incident" in the deep ocean (exceeding crush depth), scraped the bottom twice in the littoral waters, high airborne radiation once, and maybe others I'm forgetting.

That's my scary stuff.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    And yes, we had fires. I was on an old submarine.
    We had fires, flooding, "loss of depth control incident" in the deep ocean (exceeding crush depth), scraped the bottom twice in the littoral waters, high airborne radiation once, and maybe others I'm forgetting.

That's my scary stuff.
    That certainly beats a fear of heights.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Big difference.

Besides, I signed up to be a nuke as a junior in high school. Already waited a year. I'd have waited another year.
    Didn't want to be a "bullet catcher".

I waited a year already. When my ankle healed I needed to get out of a potentially bad situation, so I took what was available. Never looked back, did a lot of awesome stuff, tossed a lot of bullets, dodged those inbound. Army fit my mentality better as well, I've always been a full speed ahead, consequences be damned kind of guy.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics