churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What about some well done ghost flames?

I have always appreciated a good set of old school flames on the right ride.
    I have had a few flamed out Harley's and 2 cars done old school.
    Black primer with yellow nose (pull all the front chrome/fascia and paint everything yellow.....put it all back on) and fade into some res and white.

Ghost flames have to be on the right ride as well.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What about some well done ghost flames?
    Flames just don't do it for me. I guess a lot of flame jobs I've seen have just been horrible. Ghost flames always seem out of place. I appreciate the talent that goes into the good jobs, but most just look goofy. Occasionally I see a 50's ride that looks right with flames, but in my opinion anything after that just doesn't look right.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Flames just don't do it for me. I guess a lot of flame jobs I've seen have just been horrible. Ghost flames always seem out of place. I appreciate the talent that goes into the good jobs, but most just look goofy. Occasionally I see a 50's ride that looks right with flames, but in my opinion anything after that just doesn't look right.

If you are doing any custom work outside the box you have to be committed to it.
    The right ride. The right paint the right stance....the whole package.

Love it or don't but this was cool.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you are doing any custom work outside the box you have to be committed to it.
    The right ride. The right paint the right stance....the whole package.

Love it or don't but this was cool.

Everyone is different. I worked with a guy that was obsessed with flames, he put them on everything. He wasn't very good at it either.... That made me dislike them early on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Everyone is different. I worked with a guy that was obsessed with flames, he put them on everything. He wasn't very good at it either.... That made me dislike them early on.

If you look at the detail in the skull you will see what I am refering to......just freaking cool.

Linkage/throttle plates in the eye sockets at WOT and the K-9's. This was buried so deep in the clear it was smooth as glass.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am trying to stay focused on getting myself a car trailer. Have been going back and forth between open and enclosed. I would prefer open as I am a little bit of a sissy when it comes to towing in the wind if I have to, but enclosed certainly has advantages.

I am also wanting to get a truck more suitable for towing. Our '78 Cheyenne camper special will not tow an enclosed trailer well, 350 barely has the power to tow an open trailer. I would also like more room in the cab and dually wheels to help with stability. I would like to stay with a square body, but crew cab one ton with a 454. I know most people would opt for a newer diesel, but I'd prefer to have the capability to work on it myself and I like the classic trucks.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I will take enclosed any day over an open trailer. It's always going to have some extra storage space too. And when you pull into the gas station you don't have to deal with everyone walking around looking/touching your car. Plus inevitably you will tow through crappy weather so the added protection is nice. Towing in wind is made easier with a pair of load leveling bars and sway controls on the hitch.
    As for a tow rig depends how much you really plan to tow. Many years ago we towed a stock car with a 78 F150 with a 400 & c6 trans. It got the job done. Then when we decided to ge an enclosed trailer we bought a 26'er and hauled it home empty with a 2000 F150 with a 5.4 and there is no way that truck would live long with the trailer loaded. So we ended up with an F250 super duty diesel mostly bc diesel was cheap then...it's come back down now

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Not sure why your truck will not pull well enough to have an enclosed.

Having had both options I will go enclosed every time.
    It's just not a truck I want to tow with. Not set up for it and not comfortable at all on the road. Being a reg cab, it doesn't have a enough room for me. It does OK, but lacks in a lot of areas.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I will take enclosed any day over an open trailer. It's always going to have some extra storage space too. And when you pull into the gas station you don't have to deal with everyone walking around looking/touching your car. Plus inevitably you will tow through crappy weather so the added protection is nice. Towing in wind is made easier with a pair of load leveling bars and sway controls on the hitch.
    As for a tow rig depends how much you really plan to tow. Many years ago we towed a stock car with a 78 F150 with a 400 & c6 trans. It got the job done. Then when we decided to ge an enclosed trailer we bought a 26'er and hauled it home empty with a 2000 F150 with a 5.4 and there is no way that truck would live long with the trailer loaded. So we ended up with an F250 super duty diesel mostly bc diesel was cheap then...it's come back down now
    A majority of my towing experience has been behind the wheel of an f250 with v10 gasser towing a 26ft enclosed. Hate that truck. Lacks power and rides like crap. The truck I felt the most confidence behind was a dodge mega cab with 5.7 Hemi, had lots of power and rode pretty well, also had a much better road presence than the ford.

I like the simpleness and reliability of a BBC and minimal computers. Must have some creature comforts such as AC and cruise control. I like the old crew cabs for all their room, ability to sleep in the cab. The truck will get driven where ever I have to go, I understand the limits of the fuel milage on a gasser, but having towed a similar trailer to what I want with a Cummins and only seeing a few MPG more than what the 454 should put out, I don't personally see the need.

And damnit if I don't just like the look of the old ones better!

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I have always appreciated a good set of old school flames on the right ride.
    I have had a few flamed out Harley's and 2 cars done old school.
    Black primer with yellow nose (pull all the front chrome/fascia and paint everything yellow.....put it all back on) and fade into some res and white.

Ghost flames have to be on the right ride as well.

I did this Fairlane GT in about 1978-9

View attachment 51479

View attachment 51480

390, factory 3 spd

Centari with hardener, Laquer flames, with mixing clear (we didn't have top coat enamel clear back then)

Note, the car was never buffed, this is how it came out of the booth.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    View attachment 51481
    Do you know how confusing it is to build a 351 Cleveland!
    How can an engine that was only built from 1970-74 have so many different recipes?
    I think A stroker is the way to go it will only add about $500 to the budget.
    Any thoughts would be welcome it's going in a my 1970 Mercury Cyclone GT.
    That will be used for nice days is an auto 3.25 gears wife is insistent that the A/C works!
    imagejpeg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    View attachment 51481
    How can an engine that was only built from 1970-74 have so many different recipes?
    That will be used for nice days is an auto 3.25 gears wife is insistent that the A/C works!
    imagejpeg

Slots rule.....:cool:

Cubic inches offsets the need for a radical valve train to make power.
    Also makes it easier on the trans as no high stall converter would be needed.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    imagejpeg

Kinda

71 Mach 1 351 Cleveland C-6 (1977-8 with the practice wife)

View attachment 51484

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A majority of my towing experience has been behind the wheel of an f250 with v10 gasser towing a 26ft enclosed. Hate that truck. Lacks power and rides like crap. The truck I felt the most confidence behind was a dodge mega cab with 5.7 Hemi, had lots of power and rode pretty well, also had a much better road presence than the ford.

I like the simpleness and reliability of a BBC and minimal computers. Must have some creature comforts such as AC and cruise control. I like the old crew cabs for all their room, ability to sleep in the cab. The truck will get driven where ever I have to go, I understand the limits of the fuel milage on a gasser, but having towed a similar trailer to what I want with a Cummins and only seeing a few MPG more than what the 454 should put out, I don't personally see the need.

Yeah the Ford v10 seems to lack power IMO

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    View attachment 51481
    imagejpeg

Well the 351 Cleveland had different builds for different appplications. The 2v heads are better suited for mild performance/ street use. The 4v heads were designed for racing and were well suited for that but they tend to lack throttle response on the street. But done right they made big block power and Bob Glidden did very well with them. NASCAR used them until late 80s too.They made excellent cleveland stuff in Australia through the late 80s early 90s. Dad used to build them with a stroker crank and 6" small journal chevy connecting rods and it came out to 357cuin with 12.5:1 compression. I had planned to put one in my 88 mustang until I aquired an engine with a lot more cubic inches. BTW we still have 351C parts

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Just get a 95 Kenworth. 400 hp and 1600 ft lb of torque.

I'm so dang spoiled. I pull 80,000 to 130,000 pounds around all day with ease. 10 foward gears and a jake brake.

Life is good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom