Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Took the day off to finish priming the interior and underside:

racecar passenger rear primed.jpg

racecar windshield primed.jpg

racecar primed.jpg

I had just considered pop riveting the rear flares in place but I think I'm going to go ahead and glue them on and mold them into place. It'll give it a cleaner appearance and shouldn't take too long. Once I get that done I can finish priming the rest of the car and then get the interior and underside painted. Then the real fun begins!

:rockwoot:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey Rusty; any thoughts on bonding fiberglass flares to steel? I was thinking of using the 3M panel bond adhesive. Seems like it gets good results. Whadda ya think?:patriot:
    I had to ask my dad on this one. He didn’t specifically call out a product, but said to use something that calls out both fiberglass and steel. I don’t think panel bond does, but I wasn’t able to find a tube in the shop today to see. I’d peruse the 3M catalog and see what’s available. Sorry I couldn’t be more help! I have never gotten into anything fiberglass…

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Here’s another one that’s in the shop currently. This was a completely factory restored 1951 Chevy 3100 that was the first vehicle done in our shop (actually before the shop was built) back in 2004. It was the bosses and sat mostly covered up after completion. Until one of our customers came in one day a few years ago and wanted to buy it.

He drove it a couple times in its inline 6 and 3 on the tree configuration and decided that it wasn’t fun to drive. He wanted to make some changes.

After talking to see what he wanted, we decided on an s10 chassis swap and repower.

He just wanted a cruiser, not a race truck.
    C6D3B474-B955-43A2-A8A0-F3E345B8FEB5.jpeg516947A4-360C-4318-B735-ECE050CD1CB7.jpeg

Wheels were custom ordered because the s10 was narrower.

44AF6BCA-B2E6-414E-939E-85D7A0B7A162.jpeg

Mock up block in place here, but the powerplant is a 4.3 v6 that’s being hot rodded some. Should be north of 300hp. 700r4 trans. Suspension is stock s10 rebuilt. We adapted as many of the stock components as we could to keep the vintage vibe. Including the original steering column and shifter which I modified to shift the automatic.

ACF3EB3D-A62B-477A-A7C4-F42E7461FE50.jpeg

Custom built radiator.
    6F331BD6-A446-4C6E-BFEE-AACFD86E1461.jpeg

Interior is basically stock. We made a flip down panel for all of our electronics. When buttoned up in place, you can’t see anything. Wiring harness was 100% fabricated in our shop from scratch.
    4794CA82-4501-4B21-9EBD-D88AB2BE2C4C.jpegE4D82595-2641-46BA-9EAF-39CAA2B92887.jpeg

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Gotta say. I’m kinda torn on the new Z06. No doubt it will be an incredible driving experience, but it sure seems like they’re trying to be a competitor to the Ferrari’s of the world. I don’t think that’s Chevy’s space though. That’s not their lane. No millionaire soccer player is going to pick the Vette over an Italian sports car. Not one. Yeah the flat plane V8 sounds cool, but it feels like the Corvette is losing it’s essence. When the ZR1 came out back in 09, it was a “screw you” to all of those supercar brands. It was loud and brash had big chrome everywhere and was dumb fast in a brutal way. Jeremy Clarkson said driving it was like showing up to the Queen’s dinner party in chaps. And I love that about the Corvette. Now they’re trying to make it all refined and sophisticated. We want Rambo’s machete and they’re putting out Bond’s scalpel. I don’t know. Am I way off?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    6e2a20e7d83d2b00a291978563144156.jpg

05112ca3b30922ef391693f18547b8d3.jpg

Bone stock…Not too shabby considering the LF4 specs 464/445 at the crank.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Gotta say. I’m kinda torn on the new Z06. No doubt it will be an incredible driving experience, but it sure seems like they’re trying to be a competitor to the Ferrari’s of the world. I don’t think that’s Chevy’s space though. That’s not their lane. No millionaire soccer player is going to pick the Vette over an Italian sports car. Not one. Yeah the flat plane V8 sounds cool, but it feels like the Corvette is losing it’s essence. When the ZR1 came out back in 09, it was a “screw you” to all of those supercar brands. It was loud and brash had big chrome everywhere and was dumb fast in a brutal way. Jeremy Clarkson said driving it was like showing up to the Queen’s dinner party in chaps. And I love that about the Corvette. Now they’re trying to make it all refined and sophisticated. We want Rambo’s machete and they’re putting out Bond’s scalpel. I don’t know. Am I way off?

My biggest disappointment with the new 'Vette is the lack of a true manual transmission. Lack of a manual is a show stopper for me so I won't even consider a new one.

I know all the reasons the DCT is a superior platform and the old clutch pedal is considered obsolete by the younger new generation of car buyers and the older crowd that can no longer drive manuals easily, but I don't think I could ever have as much fun with a car without it. None of the new supercars have manuals anymore and no matter how they want to market the new Corvette - it isn't a supercar and shouldn't be (imo, opinions vary).

There's something more visceral to driving a manual, and the satisfaction of making those perfect shifts at the right time is almost intoxicating. Manuals have become rarer, but they are still in demand. Over 76% Of Miatas are ordered with a stick, Porsche dropped sticks in their lineup for a couple years until demand brought it back on certain models and some Beemers still have a 3rd pedal. Even the new Cadillac Blackwing has a manual available (the Caddy gets one and the Vette doesn't? WTF?).

The styling is sharp but maybe a little over stylized and the interior (with that wall of buttons between seats) seems fugly to me.

Bbuuut, that flat plane V8 right behind your head does sound wicked. My best friend is ordering a '23 Z06 asap. He's currently driving a '21 GT500 until he gets the Z.

Oh, and nice numbers on that ATS avboiler11. Makes me a jealous C6 Grand Sport owner.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom