Not open for further replies.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Hot off Dragzine...SO's Monza has made some chassis upgrades and has a beautiful new Proline Racing 481x with twin 98mm turbos. Looks good

They said Kamakazi and Reaper went forced induction too. I knew the ElCamino was twin turbo but this is the first I've heard of Reaper going away from nitrous. So that means Doc is the only one left on spray.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They said Kamakazi and Reaper went forced induction too. I knew the ElCamino was twin turbo but this is the first I've heard of Reaper going away from nitrous. So that means Doc is the only one left on spray.

Yep both Reaper and Kamikaze have gone forced induction. Kamikaze has twin tutbos. Reaper has an all new car called Deez Nutz. When I saw it at PRI it had a big Procharger on it.

It only leaves Doc running nitrous. It has to be difficult to manage 4 or 5 kits and applying the power without blowing off the tires has to be tedious

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep both Reaper and Kamikaze have gone forced induction. Kamikaze has twin tutbos. Reaper has an all new car called Deez Nutz. When I saw it at PRI it had a big Procharger on it.

It only leaves Doc running nitrous. It has to be difficult to manage 4 or 5 kits and applying the power without blowing off the tires has to be tedious

And he fails miserably at it.
    He with out a doubt has one of if not the nicest looking car. But he can not tune it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And he fails miserably at it.
    He with out a doubt has one of if not the nicest looking car. But he can not tune it.

There's a whole lota voodoo involved with managing that much nitrous. Doc and Monza relied heavily on guidance from Monte Smith, a nitrous guru (he helped us over the years too). Unfortunately we lost Monte just over a year ago. I really think not having his knowledge/guidance to lean on has caused them both to struggle. Plus in a heads up race a nitrous car has to make power in the first 60' to have any chance at beating a twin turbo set up. A turbo car has a bunch more ponies that can be applied on the big end.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's a whole lota voodoo involved with managing that much nitrous. Doc and Monza relied heavily on guidance from Monte Smith, a nitrous guru (he helped us over the years too). Unfortunately we lost Monte just over a year ago. I really think not having his knowledge/guidance to lean on has caused them both to struggle. Plus in a heads up race a nitrous car has to make power in the first 60' to have any chance at beating a twin turbo set up. A turbo car has a bunch more ponies that can be applied on the big end.

Doc always looses it in the 1st hundred feet or on the big end when he pulls 1 too many triggers.

Sorry to hear of Monte's passing.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    At those RPMs I would think so but I am not the Geometry wizard.

I am by no means an expert on the LS platform. However as a Ford man with experience running 6"rods in a 9.2 deck block, I would have to bet it will live turning some serious RPMs. Years ago when we ran roundy round we (NASCAR did too) ran a 351c with small journal 6" GM rods. It was super common to turn those beasts 8k rpm.
    If I was concerned too much about the load on the side of the piston I would get coated pistons. That would help reduce the friction and reduce wear. Just my .02. But again I am not an expert on the LS platform

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom