Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Fords be spendy to build.

Preaching to the choir bro. A mild rebuild of an otherwise stock motor isn't bad. But when you start building a serious Ford racing engine it's :spend::spend::spend: We looked at a pair of heads that would be an upgrade for us and they want 10k for the pair, then because we run an aftermarket block the only intake option is a sheet metal intake. A Hogans sheet metal intake will only set you back 5k and then you have to buy a carb linkage kit. Oh and then custom headers. No wonder so many racers run chevy's...they can get their stuff at Walmart lol

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Preaching to the choir bro. A mild rebuild of an otherwise stock motor isn't bad. But when you start building a serious Ford racing engine it's :spend::spend::spend: We looked at a pair of heads that would be an upgrade for us and they want 10k for the pair, then because we run an aftermarket block the only intake option is a sheet metal intake. A Hogans sheet metal intake will only set you back 5k and then you have to buy a carb linkage kit. Oh and then custom headers. No wonder so many racers run chevy's...they can get their stuff at Walmart lol

Damn it. I am never gonna live that down.......Never.....:faint:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Damn it. I am never gonna live that down.......Never.....:faint:

We're jealous CM, purely jealous!

Hell if they'd let me I'd have an LS under the hood and a bowtie on the grille of the Mustang but that would put me in a class I don't want to be in.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We're jealous CM, purely jealous!

Hell if they'd let me I'd have an LS under the hood and a bowtie on the grille of the Mustang but that would put me in a class I don't want to be in.

No matter how many times I see it done it just aint right. Even NHRA pro stock is going to allow crossdressers next year. Just aint right

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Old high school friend has a slick 1973 Formula Firebird back in the day it had a 400 Pontiac 4 speed I still remember the 2nd gear kick it had.
    Not now 383 Chevy and 700r4
    “It runs good and it’s great on the highway” How many miles do you put on it a year?
    “Like 200 or so” Man don’t you want it like it was in 1984 when we used to raise heck every weekend?
    ”This is modern “ What’s that even mean?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Old high school friend has a slick 1973 Formula Firebird back in the day it had a 400 Pontiac 4 speed I still remember the 2nd gear kick it had.
    Not now 383 Chevy and 700r4
    “It runs good and it’s great on the highway” How many miles do you put on it a year?
    “Like 200 or so” Man don’t you want it like it was in 1984 when we used to raise heck every weekend?
    ”This is modern “ What’s that even mean?

Nothing is sacred. Drive ‘em all.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    This is a good place to see if I am way off here.

1. 02 Chevy Trailblazer backup/hunting/don’t care about SUV
    2. 03 Dodge pickup everyday driver
    3. 17 Jeep Cherokee wife’s everyday
    4. 15 Challenger Hellcat Wife’s fun car
    6. 16 Challenger Scat Pack my fun car
    7. 1970 Mercury Cyclone GT When I want to remember what it was like before ABS, Fuel Injection ect.

So If I want a modern car I drive one with heated seats and lighted cup holders all that crap. It’s fast like stupid fast handles great and all that stuff.
    If I want old school I drive a Original no over freaking drive no EFI.
    Its like I don’t wanna mix the two?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

7. 1970 Mercury Cyclone GT When I want to remember what it was like before ABS, Fuel Injection ect.

So If I want a modern car I drive one with heated seats and lighted cup holders all that crap. It’s fast like stupid fast handles great and all that stuff.

Not sure what you are stressing but let me say you have a nice stable. I would hate to see your insurance premiums. :cool:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Sounds like most middle aged guys. You have grown used to the modern creature comforts but still like the idea of being able to put the hammer down from time to time. Yet you also have an appreciation for the classics with their more bare bones, strictly business, connect with the car and enjoy the driving experience like you (we) all remember when youth was still on our side. Where as your buddy took his old classic and has attempted to make it modern but has maybe lost the connection that is the driving experience.

Btw- I agree with CM you have a healthy stable of fun vehicles but dang I wouldn't want your insurance premium.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Insurance runs about $ 296 a month for the stable.

The Hot Rod power tour came though town this year most of the guys were hipsters that had never wrenched on a car. Had no idea how to set dwell with a feeler gauge or use a vacuum gauge to set a carb.
    They had never witnessed a shoebox Nova scatter a 327 @7,000 rpm or a GTO’s trans linkage lock up between gears and blow the driveshaft out. We had to drive the cars too work or school though the week as well so if we tore it up it was panic time.

Thunderchicken may have hit my point perfectly.
    CM is this what it’s like to get old? I am 48 your like 116!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Insurance runs about $ 296 a month for the stable.

The Hot Rod power tour came though town this year most of the guys were hipsters that had never wrenched on a car. Had no idea how to set dwell with a feeler gauge or use a vacuum gauge to set a carb.
    They had never witnessed a shoebox Nova scatter a 327 @7,000 rpm or a GTO’s trans linkage lock up between gears and blow the driveshaft out. We had to drive the cars too work or school though the week as well so if we tore it up it was panic time.

Thunderchicken may have hit my point perfectly.
    CM is this what it’s like to get old? I am 48 your like 116!

Yup. We drove them to work all week. Thursday night we were at Chet Elliots Sunoco on High School Rd. It had a set of rollers and a scale. Early chassis dyno. We set the tune to kill. Drove them on Friday in a seriously pissed off state of tune. After work we put the "Tires" on them and waited for dark. Then we rolled out among them. Same on Saturday night unless we broke on Friday and then it was a thrash. Same on Sunday. Had to de-tune them and change the rears.

As I got more and more into flipping cars I could let the hot rod/rods set through the week. They still went to the rollers on Thursday.

Yes......I am about 132. I sure feel like it sometimes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom