• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Treason is a serious accusation and this letter is not even close. I'm saying one could argue that it violates the Logan act. I personally don't know, it seems trivial but breaking the law is still breaking the law if that were the case.

Yes. It is a serious charge and as you can see, it has already been leveled against Senate Republicans. Feel free to present your argument against to them.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It doesn't matter what was sent. They could have sent them baking recipes. If the intent was malicious against the executive branch, it could be a violation.

How about if their intent was to assert theitr constitutional role in government, which the current Chief Executive seems to flout with impunity, in part because of opinions like yours.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    While execution may be a stretch, they should certainly face censure. It is abundantly clear that they are indeed attempting to sabotage the negotiations with Iran. While not a case of treason, it is certainly a breech of protocol and an overreaching of their powers.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    While execution may be a stretch, they should certainly face censure. It is abundantly clear that they are indeed attempting to sabotage the negotiations with Iran. While not a case of treason, it is certainly a breech of protocol and an overreaching of their powers.

These days, overreaching of powers IS standard protocol in Washington. Don't necessarily agree with it, but sure seems to be an escalating problem.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    obama doesnt follow the law. what choice do they have? How is it treason to stop the president from aiding our enemy in getting the greatest offensive and defensive weapon ever created in human history? Isnt that treason? Aiding an enemy gov't in the mass killing of our ally???? Do whatever needs to be done, law doesnt matter in washington anymore, this country is not a nation of laws anymore and if only one side plays by the rules, that side will never win against the other side that has no rules. whatever it takes at this point to stop obama is necessary.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Seems to me all they were doing is giving the Iranian government a "civics lesson" on the Separation of Powers in the US government. Quite unlike when the Democrats - Teddy Kennedy in particular - were advising Daniel Ortega to tone down his rhetoric to make it easier for the Dems to cut off funding for the Nicaraguan Contras in the 1980s.

Gotta amend this; it was John Kerry & Tom Harkin to went to Nicaragua to meet with Ortga and ask him to stop embarrassing the Dems while they werectrying to undermine Reagan's foreign policy. It was Ted Kennedy who contacted Yuri Andropov through an intermediary and offered to come to Moscow to discuss ways to undermine Reagan's nuclear policy in Europe.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Congress is a co-equal branch of government. If a POTUS announces that he intends to ignore it (and the Constitution), expect a reaction.

No, the legislative branch was intended to be the most powerful branch and they are. What exactly is Obama ignoring? It's been established that the executive branch has plenary powers in foreign affairs that do not require congressional delegation.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No, the legislative branch was intended to be the most powerful branch and they are.
    Can you please elaborate on this?

Depending on what you mean, I disagree. NO branch was intended to be the "most" powerful. When the relative strength of the branches gets out of balance, that's when things go bad.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Can you please elaborate on this?

Depending on what you mean, I disagree. NO branch was intended to be the "most" powerful. When the relative strength of the branches gets out of balance, that's when things go bad.

I mean that back when the constitution was made, there was a lot of emphasis put on congress. I don't think powerful was the best word to use, but I can't think of a better way to put it. Maybe most influential?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Gotta amend this; it was John Kerry & Tom Harkin to went to Nicaragua to meet with Ortga and ask him to stop embarrassing the Dems while they werectrying to undermine Reagan's foreign policy. It was Ted Kennedy who contacted Yuri Andropov through an intermediary and offered to come to Moscow to discuss ways to undermine Reagan's nuclear policy in Europe.

Well, in hindsight, senators were right. Reagan literally was committing treason.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I mean that back when the constitution was made, there was a lot of emphasis put on congress. I don't think powerful was the best word to use, but I can't think of a better way to put it. Maybe most influential?

Well, the power of the purse strings was viewed as strong leverage in policy decisions, so I'll give you that.

There are 2 problems with that today:
    1) We changed how senators are "made." Popular election of senators, in hindsight, might not be such a good idea.
    2) There is now a 4th branch of government - the administrative branch. It is a conjoining of parts of the executive and legislative in a way that was not intended. That branch is now arguably the most powerful.

Well, in hindsight, senators were right. Reagan literally was committing treason.

No no no - that was foreign policy. :) ;)

Plus, and for me to be consistent, I have to admit it was principled, too. Reagan's guiding principle can be summed up as: Whatever it takes to make the US the most dominant nation on the planet. His means to that end were not always ethical or legal, but... that was his principle.

Top Bottom