The NEW Should Gun Owners Have to Pass a Background Check to Purchase a Gun Poll!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should one have to undergo a background check to purchase a firearm?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

kingpin1779

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    near covington
    background checks dont do any good period. if i were going to rob ,rape, pilage,and plunder do you think i would get my gun legal like ?? the only people that would do the background check are those people willing to obey the laws. when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. we are to civilized only the criminals have rights .:twocents:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    background checks dont do any good period. if i were going to rob ,rape, pilage,and plunder do you think i would get my gun legal like ?? the only people that would do the background check are those people willing to obey the laws. when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. we are to civilized only the criminals have rights .:twocents:

And yet, the statistics show that some people convicted of a crime still try to purchase firearms through an FFL...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Everyone has a right to their own life; everyone has the right of self-defense and a right/duty to defend themselves and their family - or even bystanders whom they don't know - from injury or death at the hands of others. By the same token, an individual who initiates violence against anyone else has forfeited his "right to life"; if killed as a result of his violence, the individual who responds should not face any further inconvenience beyond determining who initiated the violence. At some point, the conundrum of "violent felons with guns" would solve itself as people joined together to eradicate them during or after their initiation of violence against others.

Requiring background checks only hinders law-abiding folks; it doesn't significantly hinder anyone who is willing to get a firearm by other means, such as theft, straw purchases, or private sales. It is a waste of time and resources and serves primarily as a means to make firearms purchases more difficult for the average law-abiding citizen.

Anyone who thinks "gun control" laws of any sort reduce crime needs to look at the increase in violent crime rates in Great Britain and Australia since both countries enacted strict hand-gun bans. Home invasions and violent crimes have increased as criminals have learned they do not have to fear being shot by their victims.

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Since it is illegal to sell a gun to a felon, how is an FFL supposed to know if they are selling a gun to a felon or other prohibited person?

The current system in place doesn't seem to have slowed down America's purchase of guns at all. In fact, year after year, more people buy guns.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Since it is illegal to sell a gun to a felon, how is an FFL supposed to know if they are selling a gun to a felon or other prohibited person?

It's not illegal to sell to a felon unless the FFL:

"knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a felon or is within any other
    category of persons to whom sales are prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922(d)."

Your premise is, therefore, incorrect.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    It's not illegal to sell to a felon unless the FFL:

"knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a felon or is within any other
    category of persons to whom sales are prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922(d)."

Your premise is, therefore, incorrect.

But it is illegal for an FFL to sell without using the NICS...

United States Code: Title 18,922. Unlawful acts | LII / Legal Information Institute

(1) Beginning on the date that is 30 days after the Attorney General notifies licensees under section 103(d) of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act that the national instant criminal background check system is established, a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer shall not transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, unless— (A) before the completion of the transfer, the licensee contacts the national instant criminal background check system established under section 103 of that Act;

Driver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I voted yes. I do not think that someone that just got out of prison for murder should be able to walk into a gun store and buy a gun. Without doing a background check then there would be no way of knowing if that person is a criminal of any-kind. Also if the background check was not in place then there would be to many people that shouldn't have guns getting them and causing more crimes. Which in todays time in this liberal happy environment it would give the politicians a reason to due away with the 2nd amendment all together.

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    I voted yes. I do not like the idea of a felon buying a hand gun from the same local gun shop where I purchased mine. Seems like the media would have a HAY DAY when murders are commited with guns purchased at the local gun store. I don't think it is necessary if you have a carry permit, one should have already been done.

Grademan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Greencastle
    So where do FTF transaction fit in? Should they all be required to go through an FFL? 4473 on EVERY gun?

FTF transactions will never stop, legal or not. Since they are legal now, that also factors into the need for the check in the first sale of a weapon. IF the check does work and the gun is sold new to someone of decent character, then that person is more likely to care about who he or she sells the gun to down the road.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Make sure that the person has his or her DL on them and LTCH, and make sure that the name on the DL matches the name on the LTCH.

A license to drive is not a legal requirement to buy or sell a firearm.

A license to carry handgun is not a legal requirement to buy or sell a firearm.

But I understand some folks like to add their own prerequisites.

Maybe a blood and stool sample, DNA testing?

Perhaps a spinal tap to accompany their background check?

I vote no. Punish those who misuse firearms - specifically, the purchasers who do so.

Remove the ridiculous and useless burdens from licensed sellers and quit making up our own for FTF sales.

:twocents:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    You see the heavy burden pro-gunners have when you can get this number of people on a gun forum to agree to infringements that have been proven to be so ineffective at their stated purpose.

Top Bottom