• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Lets see no GUNS on State Fair grounds during the August Fair each year due to INSURANCE restrictions says the ISP commissioner..............but its OK during INDY1500 Gun and Crap show weekends?

Go figure.

Different situations.
    Indiana sate Fair has to purchase the insurance for the event. They control complete access.
    Gunshow or any other leasee controls the accesss for the building they lease and have to provide insurance for their event.
    Only fly in the ointment is the the Indiana Sate Fair grounds charges parking fees.;)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Checked my local Fairgrounds (Hendricks), and they are indeed owned by the County. That said, I'm pretty sure the 4H Program leases it for the fair. I suspect your local fairgrounds are the same.

That would translate to: no COUNTY rule against carry, but the 4H could have a rule during the fair.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

That reads that the "fair" is run by "Lake County Agricultural Society, Inc. is a non-profit organization formed in 1852". I'm not seeing where it says that the LCAS actually owns the land where the fair is at (ie. LC Fair Grounds).

Unless I'm not reading/missing it.

Also don't see anything about no guns on that website but I'm sure they do have the sign somewhere.
    Like I said I won't be attending this year just like I have not in the past.

About the only way I will ever attend one of these is if
    anne_hathaway6.jpg

ask me to take her on a date to this event. :D

That's Anne Hathaway btw. Who I think is sadly an anti-2A Hollywood star. :(

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    That reads that the "fair" is run by "Lake County Agricultural Society, Inc. is a non-profit organization formed in 1852". I'm not seeing where it says that the LCAS actually owns the land where the fair is at (ie. LC Fair Grounds).

Unless I'm not reading/missing it.

Also don't see anything about no guns on that website but I'm sure they do have the sign somewhere.
    Like I said I won't be attending this year just like I have not in the past.

About the only way I will ever attend one of these is if
    ]
    ask me to take her on a date to this event. :D

That's Anne Hathaway btw. Who I think is sadly an anti-2A Hollywood star. :(

It's in two places.... there's a permanent sign on the fairgrounds that says no weapons or maybe no firearms, I don't remember.... which is amusing, since you drive past that sign when you pull in for the bi-monthly gun shows there.

When the fair's going on, there's a board with the fair rules on it, and one of those is a no weapons/firearms rule. I CC'd past the sign last year. There were sheriff's deputies at the entrance but they didn't notice.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It's in two places.... there's a permanent sign on the fairgrounds that says no weapons or maybe no firearms, I don't remember.... which is amusing, since you drive past that sign when you pull in for the bi-monthly gun shows there.

When the fair's going on, there's a board with the fair rules on it, and one of those is a no weapons/firearms rule. I CC'd past the sign last year. There were sheriff's deputies at the entrance but they didn't notice.

OK on the signage so it comes back to who owns the land?
    & does it matter?

I'm now more confused on the new gun laws then before.
    If the Lake County Fair Grounds (LCFG) is public land then during the LCF event the LCAS can set whatever rules they want and if you break it (ie. no guns) they can ask you to leave and if you don't then it's treaspassing.

Is this right?

If the Lake County Fair Grounds (LCFG) is private land then during the LCF event the LCAS can set whatever rules they want and if you break it (ie. no guns) they can ask you to leave and if you don't then it's treaspassing.

Is this right?

The end result is that in either case you can still be charged with treaspasing if you don't leave.

So how is this any different than what we had before 01 JUl for the LCFG?
    :dunno:

In the case above the new law does nothing for us? :dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If the fairgrounds are owned by the government, then they can no longer make LTCH-holders disarm by law. However, if they lease the fairgrounds to a private entity for an event, that private entity can have a no firearms POLICY. It then become a trespass issue (same as no shirt, no shoes, no service).

If the fairgrounds are owned by a private entity, then there is no change. They can continue to have a POLICY, as can anyone they lease to.

I think it is a net win, as dealing with policy/trespass issues in some special circumstances (like the fair) are much better than dealing with blanket disarmament.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If the fairgrounds are owned by the government, then they can no longer make LTCH-holders disarm by law. However, if they lease the fairgrounds to a private entity for an event, that private entity can have a no firearms POLICY. It then become a trespass issue (same as no shirt, no shoes, no service).

If the fairgrounds are owned by a private entity, then there is no change. They can continue to have a POLICY, as can anyone they lease to.

I think it is a net win, as dealing with policy/trespass issues in some special circumstances (like the fair) are much better than dealing with blanket disarmament.

Not sure how it's a net win (in terms of the county fairs) as the law does not "help" us per say. From what I am reading all the county fairs are NOT run by the local gov but instead a private organization which leases the land. Thus the "no firearm" rule is valid and thus you can get slapped with treaspasing. So nothing has changed (in terms of the fairs).

Yes we got wins over the parks, etc..

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not sure how it's a net win (in terms of the county fairs) as the law does not "help" us per say. From what I am reading all the county fairs are NOT run by the local gov but instead a private organization which leases the land. Thus the "no firearm" rule is valid and thus you can get slapped with treaspasing. So nothing has changed (in terms of the fairs).

Yeah, that's why I said "net".

I still think being asked to leave (as required prior to a trespass charge) is better than just being arrested (as the "old" ordinances allowed/required). Makes CC a viable option, and OC plausible (just leave if asked).

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

The difference is that now, if someone who is an agent of the private entity who leases the property sees you carrying a handgun, he CAN ask you to leave, and you must.

Before, if a LEO saw you carry a handgun, you would be immediate arrested.

Either way, you won't get to spend the rest of the evening at the fair, but I'd much rather have to leave than be arrested!!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Lake County fairgrounds are [STRIKE]privately[/STRIKE] county owned, jsut FYI
    It took too long to find that out. But the Lake County Fair is run by the Lake County Agricultural Society. I wonder if they lease the fairgrounds or what the relationship is?

Top Bottom