• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leb1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The way people are responding is total BS but it does not surprise me that a lot of you feel the way you do, yes Katrina was a natural disaster but as a country we left a lot of people there to die. I know this will **** a few people off but who cares those people should have been judge by 12, and thrown under the jail.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    The way people are responding is total BS but it does not surprise me that a lot of you feel the way you do, yes Katrina was a natural disaster but as a country we left a lot of people there to die. I know this will **** a few people off but who cares those people should have been judge by 12, and thrown under the jail.

No "WE" didn't. Many people refused to leave and others who were capable of leaving, waited for the Government to do "something" FOR them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    thread_necromancer.png

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    No "WE" didn't. Many people refused to leave and others who were capable of leaving, waited for the Government to do "something" FOR them.

Exactly. If they wanted to leave they could have. Noooo, they wanted to stay because the gubment would help them no matter what. Instead they got a wake up call and many of them just complained and didn't wake up. Personally, I think it serves them right. People, kids, didn't have to die, but they and their parents made stupid decisions and people did die. I feel sorry for the kids. I don't for the adults.

OMG WE HAVE TO WALK?!?!?! Walk or die I guess... :dunno: I'd rather leave my stuff behind and walk out. (Before the hurricane. They wouldn't LET them leave after the hurricane.)

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Exactly. If they wanted to leave they could have. Noooo, they wanted to stay because the gubment would help them no matter what. Instead they got a wake up call and many of them just complained and didn't wake up. Personally, I think it serves them right. People, kids, didn't have to die, but they and their parents made stupid decisions and people did die. I feel sorry for the kids. I don't for the adults.

OMG WE HAVE TO WALK?!?!?! Walk or die I guess... :dunno: I'd rather leave my stuff behind and walk out. (Before the hurricane. They wouldn't LET them leave after the hurricane.)

I agree to some of what you are saying but where do you go if you have no money and no family or friends that live outside the hurricane zone? I understand leaving and it does make sense but where should they have gone BEFORE the hurricane?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I agree to some of what you are saying but where do you go if you have no money and no family or friends that live outside the hurricane zone? I understand leaving and it does make sense but where should they have gone BEFORE the hurricane?

If they had no money, friends, or family, they were up :poop: creek without a paddle anyway. If they had no money, how would they pay taxes on any property they had? They had no where to begin with and I'm sure there were shelters in other cities or towns. There were evacuations being conducted and they could have hitched a ride with them. Instead most people chose to stay. After the Hurricane I would have done everything possible to leave the city. No way I would have stayed.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    If they had no money, friends, or family, they were up :poop: creek without a paddle anyway. If they had no money, how would they pay taxes on any property they had? They had no where to begin with and I'm sure there were shelters in other cities or towns. There were evacuations being conducted and they could have hitched a ride with them. Instead most people chose to stay. After the Hurricane I would have done everything possible to leave the city. No way I would have stayed.

You apparently don't understand the point of people not having money to spend which I was referring to. Yes you have money to pay your property tax which is only due at certain times of the year but not the money in your account to spend on other things. I am going out on a limb but I bet that most Americans have less that $1000 in their bank accounts. That wouldn't last very long if you had to stay in a hotel somewhere and feed your family while trying to evacuate the hurricane zone.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have sympathy for those left behind.
    I have praise for those that tried in their circles to make the best of what they had and to take care of others as best they could.
    I have anger, still, that our government was as phenomenally incompetent at their response to Katrina as we all have expected our gov't to be in a SHTF.
    I hope clarity about what happened on the bridges heading out of NOLA is brought to light.

That being said,

I have no sympathy for an biased article based in heresay and no data.
    I have distain for those who want to use that heresay to point the finger and yell "racists with guns" and not have strong fact to back it. Especially when I suspect this is being done to make political gain.
    I have little patience for people protecting their homes and neighborhoods being described as evil at core for their lack of charity for all.
    I have no patience for an evaluation of Katrina that does include advise towards how to prepare yourself for a better outcome.

Given the lack of fact based evidence, the singleminded focus on "racist" men with guns, and a lack of discussion of how people can prepare better for themselves and their neighbors next time.

The article just strikes me as a slanted hit piece intended to take away Katrina as an example that preppers can use as evidence for gun ownership and survival preparedness.

And it does it under the insult of "racism".

Therein lies my frustration.

Techres

P.S. A more interesting article would have been one over the legal rights of neighborhoods to lock themselves down and bar entry to others under threat of arms. That would have been an interesting and useful article. They squandered their opportunity.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    P.S. A more interesting article would have been one over the legal rights of neighborhoods to lock themselves down and bar entry to others under threat of arms. That would have been an interesting and useful article. They squandered their opportunity.

Now THAT would have been a great discussion!!!

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I will be the first to say that in a disaster/emergency situation I would be looking to organize the neighborhood to protect what we have. Fortunately, I live in more of a family based neighborhood where almost everybody knows each other and I believe that many of us would stick together for our children and loved ones. I would not hesitate to tell someone to "keep moving" if they were looking to do some type of harm to us. I live in a location that really has to need for an "outsider" to need to come through since I am not located near a water source or particular spot of interest.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You apparently don't understand the point of people not having money to spend which I was referring to. Yes you have money to pay your property tax which is only due at certain times of the year but not the money in your account to spend on other things. I am going out on a limb but I bet that most Americans have less that $1000 in their bank accounts. That wouldn't last very long if you had to stay in a hotel somewhere and feed your family while trying to evacuate the hurricane zone.

In this kind of bug out situation, I wouldn't be relying on hotels and what not. Even with my family. There are plenty of free places to camp and plenty of shelters out there. I get what you are saying. And if they had no money, I feel for them. I understand what that's like. However, even if I didn't have anything but the clothes on my back, a home to live in that was in peril, and no friends or family or kids or anything, I'm sorry, but if I stuck around and complained about how bad it was, I have no one to blame but myself.

Obviously if they had some kind of job in NO it wouldn't be there after the hurricane. Knowing that, and knowing that it would be the largest hurricane recorded to date, there's no reason they couldn't leave the city. On foot or in the evacuation. There were plenty of people just as you describe that got out safely and did what I suggested I would do. Many joined the homeless ranks of other cities.

There was no excuse for not getting people out. I have a picture somewhere of 30+ buses that where corralled in a parking lot underwater that could have been used. No reason people couldn't have used those buses for evacuation.

The REAL shame of NO was not that the hurricane hit and destroyed the city. It's not the failures of Bush, FEMA, whatever. Yes, those were awful. But the REAL shame of NO was that people didn't help people. It showed the Country, and the world, the level of greed, selfishness, and lack of goodwill the people had for other people. If I was in charge of those buses, they'd been fueled and transporting. If I was a farmer outside the city, I'd be using my grain trucks to help transport. If I had a truck, I'd be telling people to get in the back if the front was full.

We can't just blame FEMA or the Hurricane for the disaster. We have to also blame ourselves and our selfishness for the disaster because we could have avoided it.

Not everyone, but those within helping distance.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    How about the other side of the story where these poor refugees were engaging Army Helicopters that were evacuating people from the city...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    How about the other side of the story where these poor refugees were engaging Army Helicopters that were evacuating people from the city...

Those were looters and gang members pissed that their looting and attempted take over was being rained on. Those weren't poor refugees. Those were idiots that God was trying to help us by wiping them from the Earth. Somehow they survived.

leb1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Indianapolis

You are right there was a lot of people that didnt want to leave and their was others who wanted to leave but couldn't personally I had family down there and it wasnt a point that they didnt want to leave it was a point that they couldnt get out its hard trying to watch something on tv wondering if your family is going to make it out alive or not.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    You are right there was a lot of people that didnt want to leave and their was others who wanted to leave but couldn't personally I had family down there and it wasnt a point that they didnt want to leave it was a point that they couldnt get out its hard trying to watch something on tv wondering if your family is going to make it out alive or not.
    Leb, why? What, specifically, kept them from walking away?

I understand the, "But where do we go? Which direction do we head? Where will we stay? Where will we get food?" part of not leaving. Given a choice between life (leaving, even on foot) and possible death (staying), I don't understand.

When the Captain calls "abandon ship", even if you don't have a life raft, a person is to jump overboard, swim as far away from the sinking ship as is feasible/necessary and then look to help others near them.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Leb, why? What, specifically, kept them from walking away?

I understand the, "But where do we go? Which direction do we head? Where will we stay? Where will we get food?" part of not leaving. Given a choice between life (leaving, even on foot) and possible death (staying), I don't understand.

When the Captain calls "abandon ship", even if you don't have a life raft, a person is to jump overboard, swim as far away from the sinking ship as is feasible/necessary and then look to help others near them.

Exactly. QFT.

Nothing kept these people from getting as far away as their feet would take them.

Top Bottom