• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I was at the barber shop today and there was a couple people in front of me and another two that came in after me. While waiting, the topic of the "N" word came up. One of the older gentelman waiting said "let me clear everything up about the N word" He said that the "N" word had absolutely nothing do do with color to him. He said he met japanese N's, canadiian N's, mexican N's, more indian N's then he cared to count in Arizona, and more white N's than any other. He said its all about respect and honor. He said ones actions reflects one character. He talked about black men that he had been in the service with that he would trust with his life ANYTIME. My barber looked at him and said "well, I still think way down deep that you are a racist if you use that word". The old man stood up like he was ready to fight, he grabbed his wallet and flipped it open real quick...he said look at her...thats my wife. It was a black woman. He said "You know who hates N's more than anyone else???? My barber asked who? He said, MY WIFE!! He sat back down and things simmered. I hadnt said a word the whole time. Mid way through my haircut I asked the old guy, What do you think of that Kanye West fella?? He said "He fits in one of two catagories, you figure it out"

I love the barber shop.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I love true barber shops with those ol' timers who dont care at all about what they say and when they say it.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    There is no good time and place for that word. I also don't like the double standard where some people can use it but others cannot.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    While the "N" word may mean "someone worthy of lesser respect/honor" to that particular gentleman, the problem is that it does not hold that same definition to others-- therefore its use may unintentionally offend folks.

I'm sure there is much debate as to its "actual/factual/historical" meaning as well.

Personally, I can find other words in the English language that describe such folks much more effectively. (same goes for the "F" word most of the time)

Yes, the double standard is frustrating as well.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    the term means "a slave" someone who is thought to be below and worse than you. If you look down deep at a person you will find that alot of people are equal to you. Ive met some people in life that i trully envy some are not white.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I work with adults with mental retardation. One time I took a couple of my guys to IHOP in Mishawaka. The one guy has a speech impediment and when you don't understand what he says he repeats it over and over and over. He saw some change lying on the table started telling me I don't like nickles, but it sounded to me and everybody else around, like he was saying that special N word! Over and over and over "I don't like nickles"! I couldn't understand, andI couldn't get him to stop. Finally he picked one up and said "I don't like nickles"! I made sure everybody around me heard as I reapeted "OH, why don't you like NICKELS"?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    On board with it being an attitude not a race thing, we have a saying... We call them (idiots with no respect for themselves or others) Mondays, cause nobody likes a Monday.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    the "N word" comes from the Spanish word negro which means black.
    the N word is not a good word but in todays world it pretty much doesnt mean a thing...you cant listen to music anymore without hearing it...Im sick of the double standards as well. I think we should start saying things like "cracker please" or "whats up my honky" and go ape chit anytime someone who isnt white uses those words. I think its only fair? what ever happened to the NAAWP?

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Very true

There is no good time and place for that word. I also don't like the double standard where some people can use it but others cannot.

When I was in the Navy I probably had 25% blacks on my ship. Anyone who served on a Navy ship knows it is close quarters. Prior to joining the service I remember maybe four blacks in my high school. One thing quickly caught my attention is how many blacks called each other N----- this or N----- that with some MF's usually thrown into the sentences. Talk about a double standard; I bet this goes on in other areas besides the military. It is not the word but who is speaking it. :twocents:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I think people that use that word show their illiteracy ! to think that ones color of skin makes them any better or worse than anyone else is just plane ignorant One's color has no impact on their character the use of such words does.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    the "N word" comes from the Spanish word negro which means black.
    the N word is not a good word but in todays world it pretty much doesnt mean a thing...you cant listen to music anymore without hearing it...Im sick of the double standards as well. I think we should start saying things like "cracker please" or "whats up my honky" and go ape chit anytime someone who isnt white uses those words. I think its only fair? what ever happened to the NAAWP?

Um, no...You can't listen to a black rap/hip hop "artist" without hearing it.

I listen to music everyday and never hear that word.

Z350Godfather

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Southside Indy
    I agree though, it doesn't matter what your skin color is. Your actions determine the use of the "n" word. most of the people that I have met who fit that description, aren't even black. I'm white, but if there's some white trash piece of s**t acting ignorant, then guess what... he's a "n"ancy. :)

Top Bottom