• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    How what?

Are you not following?

How do you logically make a statement like the one you did. How is it that Republicans want State or Federal identification in order to vote, provide ID service for free (for those that don't already have a state or federal photo ID), allow exemptions for those who vote by mail and are handicapped, and the reason isn't to decrease voter freud. No, the reason Republicans want this is purely because poor people with a (D) beside their name can't manage it? Walk me through that logic please.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'd be careful how you answer BBJ. I have a died-in-the-wool southern democrat uncle that lives in Owensboro Kentucky, living on a fixed income, rolling around in a wheelchair, that I'm quite certain could kick your arse if you don't tread very lightly how you talk about poor people who happen to have a (D) by their name.

DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'd be careful how you answer BBJ. I have a died-in-the-wool southern democrat uncle that lives in Owensboro Kentucky, living on a fixed income, rolling around in a wheelchair, that I'm quite certain could kick your arse if you don't tread very lightly how you talk about poor people who happen to have a (D) by their name.

If someone wants to fight me for making a political statement, I guess I'll take my chances.

An intensive effort on the part of the federal government to
    uncover and prosecute voter fraud in Wisconsin resulted in only 14 indictments and five convictions
    or guilty pleas for illegal voting in an election in which over 3 million ballots were cast.

I got that out of a bipartisan study on voter fraud. I'd like to know how much money and time would be spent to stamp out that kind of "rampant" fraud in Wisconsin.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Photo ID laws do hurt voter turnout: study - Washington Times

Senate, House, Governor Races - Election Center 2010 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

This says lower income people tend to vote democrat. I am guessing the republican's know this. Other studies suggest lower income minorities will be the most adversely affected when voter ID laws are passed. They are in that bracket who tend to vote democrat. I am guessing the republicans know this too.

I know what the media says. I've read the reports and there are just as many that say Republicans want to combat voter freud more than Democrats - draw your own conclusions:

Courts block voter ID laws in Wisconsin and Texas, ahead of 2014 midterms (+video) - CSMonitor.com

There are lots more, but I'll leave it there.

The report you cited says it's debated. The data is debated. The conclusions are debated. What it doesn't say is why - in the state of Texas - where if one is so poor they can't afford a free ID, can't get out of their house, where exemptions allow you to vote without an ID by mail, exemptions allow you to vote without ID if you are handicapped, How is it only poor democrats can't manage it. If Republicans have no interest in voter freud, then the only conclusion is poor people with A "D" by their name can't manage it.

Could it be...perhaps...most media sources are...slanted in their views? Could it be, perhaps, media sources don't include in their stories about Voter ID the logic of exactly how it is only poor people with a "D" by their name can't manage a free ID. No, they don't want to sound racist or biggoted in any way. It can't be voter freud.

I ask for logic. All I get are media stories about unsubstantiated squabbles about data.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    If someone wants to fight me for making a political statement, I guess I'll take my chances.

I got that out of a bipartisan study on voter fraud. I'd like to know how much money and time would be spent to stamp out that kind of "rampant" fraud in Wisconsin.

You made a biggoted statement, not a political one. There is a difference.

What bipartisan study? What source?

And, still no logic out of you. Not surprised.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    I know what the media says. I've read the reports and there are just as many that say Republicans want to combat voter freud more than Democrats - draw your own conclusions:

Courts block voter ID laws in Wisconsin and Texas, ahead of 2014 midterms (+video) - CSMonitor.com

The report you cited says it's debated. The data is debated. The conclusions are debated. What it doesn't say is why - in the state of Texas - where if one is so poor they can't afford a free ID, can't get out of their house, where exemptions allow you to vote without an ID by mail, exemptions allow you to vote without ID if you are handicapped, How is it only poor democrats can't manage it. If Republicans have no interest in voter freud, then the only conclusion is poor people with A "D" by their name can't manage it.

Could it be...perhaps...most media sources are...slanted in their views? Could it be, perhaps, media sources don't include in their stories about Voter ID the logic of exactly how it is only poor people with a "D" by their name can't manage a free ID. No, they don't want to sound racist or biggoted in any way. It can't be voter freud.

I ask for logic. All I get are media stories about unsubstantiated squabbles about data.

:rockwoot::yesway::chest: Just cheering you on.

DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield

Ha, yea I guess you are right. Republicans just want a good clean fight and that's all this is.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    You made a biggoted statement, not a political one. There is a difference.

What bipartisan study? What source?

And, still no logic out of you. Not surprised.

My statement that I'm convinced Republicans push for voter ID laws because it affects a traditional Democrat demographic is my own opinion. I (as you encouraged me to do) formed my own conclusion. What you haven't done is to explain how that statement is in any way bigoted.

I've made no statement about the ability, or lack thereof, for people who don't currently have an adequate ID to obtain one, I'm only stating my opinion that I believe Republicans know that most of the people in that group vote Democrat and that even requiring that group to take one extra step before they vote the next time would be worth their effort.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My statement that I'm convinced Republicans push for voter ID laws because it affects a traditional Democrat demographic is my own opinion. I (as you encouraged me to do) formed my own conclusion. What you haven't done is to explain how that statement is in any way bigoted.

I explained in vivid detail exactly that. You are not listening. The logic - sir or ma'am - is poor people with a "D" by their name can not manage a free voter ID OR vote without one by mail OR manage to obtain an exemption allowd for handicaps. That is a biggoted statement. That is the only logical conclusion if you throw out the only other logical conclusion that Republicans are combating voter freud. That is the biggoted statement you hid inside your unsubstantiated opinion based on slanted media opinions about debated data and therefore debated conclusions based on that debated data.

"I am convinced..."

Based on what?

Media stories telling you how to think?

I'm asking for logic. Your own if you can manage it.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Since we need media sources to substantiate our logic, here's another: Voter ID laws unlikely to change | Amarillo Globe-News

“The facts don’t show that,” he said. “The facts are these and that is we’ve had voter ID laws in the state of Texas for several elections now and it has in no way suppressed the votes of minorities. In fact in the other states that have implemented voter ID law you’ve actually seen an increase in turnout among minority voters.”
    Abbott said the law is needed to combat voter fraud.
    “Within this last month, there’s been a massive FBI operation that has led to the arrest and guilty pleas of politiceros in the Rio Grande Valley who were buying votes by using cocaine and that kind of voter fraud violates the integrity of the election process,” he said.
    As attorney general, Abbott said he has prosecuted voter fraud cases across the state.
    “I have arrested people who cast votes on behalf of dead people, people who registered foreign nationals to vote illegally. Voter fraud is real and must be stopped.”

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    More media substantiated logic: The Reality of Voter Fraud | National Review Online

“Unfortunately, the United States has a long history of voter fraud that has been documented by historians and journalists,” Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens wrote in 2008, upholding a strict Indiana voter-ID law designed to combat fraud. Justice Stevens, who personally encountered voter fraud while serving on various reform commissions in his native Chicago, spoke for a six-member majority. In a decision two years earlier clearing the way for an Arizona ID law, the Court had declared in a unanimous opinion that “confidence in the integrity of our electoral processes is essential to the functioning of our participatory democracy. Voter fraud drives honest citizens out of the democratic process and breeds distrust of our government. Voters who fear their legitimate votes will be outweighed by fraudulent ones will feel disenfranchised.”

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As I recall, they have known that some college student were voting both at their home district by absentee and then at their college address. Hopefully this will eliminate that.
    Hopefully this will eliminate precincts that had greater than 100% votes for the Democrat Presidential candidate like they had in Ohio.
    Hopefully this wil eliminate people from voting multiple times like at least a couple of Democrat operatives got caught doing in the last election.
    I guess if voter suppression is another phrase for stopping the other party from stealing elections, then so be it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

I've made no statement about the ability, or lack thereof, for people who don't currently have an adequate ID to obtain one, I'm only stating my opinion that I believe Republicans know that most of the people in that group vote Democrat and that even requiring that group to take one extra step before they vote the next time would be worth their effort.
    Even if the republicans did it to screw the dems I wouldn't care. Look at all the shady illegal stuff the D's constantly pull. Plus they are more responsible for ****ing up this country than anyone else.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I explained in vivid detail exactly that. You are not listening. The logic - sir or ma'am - is poor people with a "D" by their name can not manage a free voter ID OR vote without one by mail OR manage to obtain an exemption allowd for handicaps. That is a biggoted statement. That is the only logical conclusion if you throw out the only other logical conclusion that Republicans are combating voter freud. That is the biggoted statement you hid inside your unsubstantiated opinion based on slanted media opinions about debated data and therefore debated conclusions based on that debated data.

"I am convinced..."

Based on what?

Media stories telling you how to think?

I'm asking for logic. Your own if you can manage it.

I know what logic is, but I'm not convinced that you do (as long as we're being condescending). I know you're making the point that, the only reason to believe that any person couldn't get a legal ID is to say that they must be really stupid, since it's so unbelievably easy and free. I get that part, and I've heard it on several conservative talk radio programs. As I said, I stated no support or not for that requirement or what effects that the voter ID laws would have in that respect.

I'm ONLY stating that it is my OPINION that Republicans realize that Demographic is traditionally Democrat (it's no secret), and that Republican leaders believe that they could benefit if they passed the ID law, because it might catch some of those voters who didn't have the legal ID and who failed to obtain one in time to vote, even if only because they didn't know about the new law, or maybe it just slipped their mind, or they just didn't make the time to go through the ridiculously easy and free process to get one. I know several very smart and responsible people who forgot to get their drivers license renewed and none of them seemed to feel at all stupid about that, they just called it an oversight.

Top Bottom