• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Just before the beginning of the all-important (for Democrats) Early Voting Period, the SCOTUS rules Texas can enforce its voter ID law (I apologize in advance for the picture you'll see when you click):

SCOTUS allows Texas voter ID law for November election - UPI.com

(...not hard to see who the media has deemed the "Star of the Court" for this ruling, is it?)

Well, good. It's nice to see the Court can still occasionally recognize what is right, regardless whose feelings it hurts. I suspect those days are limited, and we'll all see the end of them in our lifetime.

Doesn't matter that it's only one state which won't decide the outcome of anything. The Dems have their template & will run with it. And now that the appeals are exhausted, maybe we can get on with, you know, having an election?

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    It gags me that this was ever an issue, at least not in the last 100 years. The GOP wants it, the Dems don't for those of you who see no difference in parties.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Principal,

And exactly how do you propose that dead people are supposed to get a photo ID without imposing hardship on them? I happen to know there are many dead people who simply find it is not worthwhile to maintain photo IDs anymore, but, that doesn't mean their voice shouldn't count! Just the tone of your response, tells me you don't care about "justice and equality" and are just interested in "suppressing the vote."

Tch, tch...shame on you! (I'll post Chester's response for him, since he seems to be out of town).

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm just a dumb engineer...someone help me...how does a universal law requiring identification - for all races - end up being labeled racist?

Are blacks incapable of acquiring a photo id?
    Are Hispanics incapable of acquiring a photo id?
    Are - fill in the blank - incapable...?

Sounds to me like the position that universal ID requirements are racist - that statement is racist. I don't believe anyone is incapable of acquiring photo identification. It's not hard. It's not expensive. Anyone can do it. If you can get to the polls to vote, you can get a photo ID.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I'm just a dumb engineer...someone help me...how does a universal law requiring identification - for all races - end up being labeled racist?

Sounds to me like the position that universal ID requirements are racist - that statement is racist. I don't believe anyone is incapable of acquiring photo identification. It's not hard. It's not expensive. Anyone can do it. If you can get to the polls to vote, you can get a photo ID.

Preach the truth!

Only reason I can see for NOT wanting voter ID is to want to cheat the election, I'm 48 & have to show my ID to buy that wonderful Samuel Adams Octoberfest, surely voting on the leadership of the Republic is more critical than buying beer??

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

Supposedly the argument is that minorities and the poor are disproportionately affected by the requirement to get a free ID because they still have to get to the Texas equivalent of the BMV.
    Of course that argument also means that;
    - buying beer
    - getting a mortgage
    - boarding a plane
    - applying for credit
    - buying a gun
    - applying for a job
    - applying for public assistance
    Must also be racist too as all these require proof of ID

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Regardless of anything else, nobody can tell me that Republicans haven't fought hard for I.D. rules for any other reason than that it effects traditional Democrat demographics.

They even had to change the rules mid-stream to make sure that college IDs wouldn't qualify, since, you know, most college kids vote Democrat. There was even one leading Republican in Texas who publicly stated that college kids shouldn't vote anyway, since their immaturity leads them to swing liberal.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Regardless of anything else, nobody can tell me that Republicans haven't fought hard for I.D. rules for any other reason than that it effects traditional Democrat demographics.

They even had to change the rules mid-stream to make sure that college IDs wouldn't qualify, since, you know, most college kids vote Democrat. There was even one leading Republican in Texas who publicly stated that college kids shouldn't vote anyway, since their immaturity leads them to swing liberal.

That has to be the most racist comment I've ever seen on INGO...maybe anywhere.

If I were a Democrat I'd be insulted by your comments. The very idea that Democrats - the poor ones, not the republican or independent ones - are incapable of acquiring a free ID. There are a lot of Democrats in my family in favor of votor ID because they're tired of hearing Democrats are the only ones promoting voter freud.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    From the comments section of the OP article (before you try to point out there's a huge disparity between white and black poor):

From the Department of Commerce: Welfare Statistics:
    Total number of Americans on welfare 12,800,000
    Total number of Americans on food stamps 46,700,000
    Total number of Americans on unemployment insurance 5,600,000
    Percent of the US population on welfare 4.1 %
    Total government spending on welfare annually (not including food stamps or unemployment)$131.9 billion
    Welfare Demographics:
    Percent of recipients who are white 38.8%
    Percent of recipients who are black 39.8%
    Percent of recipients who are Hispanic 15.7%
    Percent of recipients who are Asian 2.4%
    Percent of recipients who are Other 3.3 %

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    That has to be the most racist comment I've ever seen on INGO...maybe anywhere.

I'm glad to hear that you've lived a life so apparently devoid of racial discord. But it must get lonely never leaving the house, never talking to other people, never listening to the radio, and never watching anything on TV.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm

:laugh:

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I've been to several countries and in every state in the US except Alaska. I've lived my 52 years visiting many places and many types of people...possibly more than you? But I have yet seen someone so poor or so un-intelligent (especially someone who attends a university) that can not obtain a free ID from nearly 300 locations in the state of Texas:

TxDPS - Election Identification Certificate (EIC)

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Excuse me, not just poor - because there are all kinds of politics in poor people - just the poor with a (D) next to their name. Just those folks. They are the only ones who can't get their free ID -YET - have the wherewithall to make it to the voting locations.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've been to several countries and in every state in the US except Alaska. I've lived my 52 years visiting many places and many types of people...possibly more than you? But I have yet seen someone so poor or so un-intelligent (especially someone who attends a university) that can not obtain a free ID from nearly 300 locations in the state of Texas:

TxDPS - Election Identification Certificate (EIC)

I didn't say anything about the merits of the voter ID rule, only that I'm convinced that Republicans pushed for it mostly, if not only because it affects traditional Democrat demographics.

In my 52 years, I've only lived and worked in six different states, and I've only visited one other country (although I am a tax-payer and real estate owner in that country), but I'll concede that you've been to more places and probably have met more people, whatever that means.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom