• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    So, searching for a few dates to fill out the collection I got a few rolls of half dollars at the bank. I did get a few of the ones I wanted, but then what to do with the duplicates? I usually just take them back for cash, but I decided I might as well save the gas and just spend the darn things.

So, fast forward a few weeks and I've got a pocketful of half dollars clanging around. They really make quite the noise, but it isn't quite socially acceptable for a man to have a coin purse so pockets it is. I'm at the county fair and decide to get a drink. $1.50 Mountain Dew. I hand the kid at the counter (probably 13 years old or so) three half dollars.

He looks at me. He doesn't have any idea what they are. One of the older teenagers there tells him what they are, laughs, and hands me my drink.

This has got me thinking of the fact that I'm the only person I've ever seen actually spend a half dollar. Why no love for them? It may sound odd, but they feel very nice in the hand. Anyone else here a user of the lowly half dollar?

Next I think I'll start using those $1 presidential commemorative coins. A lot of people don't even know they exist, let alone use them to pay with.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I "bought" several when I was a manager at Ritter's, same for 2 dollar bills and the few and far between pre 64 silver coins that came through.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    I've got a half dollar that I picked up at Marsh, I think, that I carry around with me all the time. I dunno why. I just do. It's a nice coin, and it the size kind of reminds me of the old Loonies/Twonies that we have up in Canada.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I love half dollars. Stop in at the bank every so often and look through theirs (or buy them all if they have rolls). Have found quite a few 1965 - 1969 halves that are 40% silver and even a couple of 1964 90% silver halves. I stash them all, they are worth far more than the 50 cents it costs me at the bank. I love getting the rolls, you never know when somone will take their parents coins in for cash after they die, or some dumbass kid steals a bunch from the grandparents so they can buy a rock or two. One of these days I will find me some rolls of those and laugh all the way home.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I love half dollars. Stop in at the bank every so often and look through theirs (or buy them all if they have rolls). Have found quite a few 1965 - 1969 halves that are 40% silver and even a couple of 1964 90% silver halves. I stash them all, they are worth far more than the 50 cents it costs me at the bank. I love getting the rolls, you never know when somone will take their parents coins in for cash after they die, or some dumbass kid steals a bunch from the grandparents so they can buy a rock or two. One of these days I will find me some rolls of those and laugh all the way home.
    I used to "prospect" if you will, but I never had much luck. I did hear of a guy who got something on the order of 160 pre-64 half dollars in just a single mint box of them. Lucky fellow! I'm really surprised the mint bothers to still make these things what with their low usage anyhow.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I don't know why but I love $2 bills. Can you get them anywhere specifically? Ask your bank for them? What's the most practical way?

I've always been told to go ask your bank. Mine never have more then a couple on hand.

I've got around 150 or so... 32 in an uncut sheet.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I love dollar coins. When I used to drink more often, I used to love when I got some because I'd use them at the bar on dollar beer night and feel like an old cowboy or something.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    I think they pretty much quit circulating half dollars because vending machines are all made for quarters and smaller coins so there is really no good reason to carry them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom