• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I was not sure where to post this thread hopefully its in an appropriate spot.

My younger brother (19) is a bouncer (his nicname is the title of this thread). He is just like his older brother (hopefully soon to be employed as a bouncer) is only 5'8 155lbs. Mind you bouncing drunk frat boys isn't too hard regardless of size but my brother has run into a few situations that ended well but could have been kinda nasty. He (and i both) are looking for tools / training that may help persuade those who like to get a little rough to move along.

I have to stop and say now that I am truely proud of my little bro for his people skills, ability to talk people down and bring tense moments to a calm. He is responsible, professional and regarded as the best employee where he works. However that said some people just want to play rough.

I've looked into kubatons and pressure points and well as pepper spray / mace and expandable batons but know it would take some practice and training for either of us to weild these efficiently. I need your guidance and wisdom INGO.

-PFC

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    What does his employer allow? Hands only? Baton/club/sap, Pepper spray, Taser, .....

It would be terrible if he used a device and then his employer wouldn't back him when needed.... you know, lawyers and stuff.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    A Bar in Muncie. It's legal. Though when people find out how old he is they have the same reaction.

-PFC

No reaction from me, just curious. :D I guess if you are not serving the booze your age is really irrealevant. But I can imagine some of the reactins he would get from some drunks. I would think it just makes his job a little tougher sometimes.

I bounced/bartend while in college (Ball State) and found my mouth was usally enough to get the sitution to calm down. When I did get physical I really appreciated the training I received from the Corps and a small stint as a prison guard.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    He and I both are BSU students and university ave isn't the roughest place in town, he does well managing with his words, and he's a rugby player so I've seen him take down some big guys (once in the bar) and I've passed along some of my army combatives and detainee management training (which is still minimal) He tells the drunks (if they ask) that he's 21, its his size they usually laugh at, but he's nice...until Dalton tells him not to be nice.

-PFC

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'd be inclined to think that battons would be a bad idea. In most scenarios I've ever seen where bouncers have taken someone out of a club it's packed. There would be no room to swing w/o hitting other patrons.

Also, most owners don't want a fight IN the establishment. They want the offending party outside ASAP.

Manpower is probably what the club/bar owner should invest in. The extra man goes a long way. It also gives the would be tough guy the chance to say "There was X of them!"

Nobody wants roadhouse breaking out in their place. Especially if it's a nice place.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Yeah, and pepper spray would be bad in a crowded environment. I've been sprayed and near it when it is sprayed. Just shooting the stuff onto the floor would clear out a crowded area. Get as much hand to hand training as possible and like said above, an extra man.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i was a bouncer at a local bar for a couple years. all i had was a year or so juijutsu and thought that was fine. so my adivse to you is take a martial art besides bjj. the ground is the last place you want to be in a bar fight. i love my bjj for my cage fights but there is only 1 man in the cage with me at a time. (if im fighting more than one my corner better be climbing the cage.) a arm bar is a great move for restraining a drunk until the cops show but it loses alot of effect when the drunk guys drunk friend kicks you in the teeth (i speek from experience in that issue). let me be clear. when i put a drunk in a armbar or ? i just sank it in enough to let them know this is starting to hurt and i better hold still. i NEVER went for the bone breaking.

since then i started kung fu (great for hand speed and flexibility. worthless for no wepons fighting) and kempo (a great stand up form)

i would atleats fimiliarize yourself with one or more stand up martial arts.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has some good bouncer style stand up technique. there are standing arm bars and chokes. It's great for breaking up a fight, but for nasty situations with more than just one guy you will need a level head (which it sounds like he has) and some stand up. Find your self a good mix martial arts school. Try to learn some of everything, use what you're good at throw out the rest.

I've submitted guys in comps standing, Jiu Jitsu is worth looking into. You'll learn alot sparring. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want some self defense, any form of martial arts, bar room bouncer instructional DVD's, I have hundereds and hundreds

Top Bottom