KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    SJW gets out-SJW'd.

Hp5hGfA.jpg

This is dumb and I mean that in the worst possible way you can ever imagine.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ableist?

Is is ableist to say that I don't understand a (made up) word that is being said nowadays?

Cleverly sidestep with a "gosh;" problem solved.

Nah. My dad wouldn't let me get away with saying "Gosh". He said it was just a technicality so Christians wouldn't feel like they're taking the Lord's name in vain. It would have to be replaced with something obviously not a replacement word. Maybe invoke a little Flo: "Oh My Grits!".

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Nah. My dad wouldn't let me get away with saying "Gosh". He said it was just a technicality so Christians wouldn't feel like they're taking the Lord's name in vain. It would have to be replaced with something obviously not a replacement word. Maybe invoke a little Flo: "Oh My Grits!".

My mom wouldn't let us say "Heck" or "Darn".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

While I get it, no one can never change the iconic "Kiss my grits."

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

My mom did too. She'd say "you're trying to say 'hell," or 'damn'." I couldn't even whistle in the house.... but "dagnabit," was fine for some reason.

Learning how to be careful about what you say when you were a kid was just good training for when you grew up and got married. It's a wonder any of us can talk at all.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ableist?

Is is ableist to say that I don't understand a (made up) word that is being said nowadays?

Not sure whether we can answer that or not, it might be victim blaming?

In case the first is not sarcasm, I'll 'splain it... Ableist (able-ist) is kinda like sexist, racist, etc., in saying that you're favoring one of a type over another, in this case, able vs. disabled (or as they call it now, "differently-abled"... I have to say, that's a nice turn of phrase for what it is. Saying someone is disabled means they have no ability. Period. Hell, YOU try riding a wheelie in a wheelchair, if you're not in one most/all of the time!)

Screw that. :):

When I was growing up, the actual cuss words were forbidden, but the substitutes were OK. I think "Hell" was acceptable, but it shocked me (briefly) the first time I went to the golf course with my Dad.

When my daughter was growing up, we taught her a couple of phrases she could use and not get in trouble at school. (It's fair to note that this is the child who, having heard me driving and upset at being cut off one time, asked from the back seat, "Can I say this just once?" My wife and I both asked, "What?" (which is automatic permission... duh!)

"He's a m*****f***er."

"No, you can't say that. That's a big people word. When you're a big people, you can say it."

oops)

The phrases we taught her were innocuous expressions, along the lines of, "Oh, that's nice" (no, that was not one of them) that we explained to her she could use to mean something like, "Bite me."

I briefly considered teaching her one in Latin, but decided against it. I have nothing against the horse anyone rode in on.

While I get it, no one can never change the iconic "Kiss my grits."

No one can never? Does that mean we can? I'm so confused.

Sorry Kut... I had to call the double negative. :stickpoke:

Blessings,
    Bill

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    It is kinda entertaining that they can't even argue their points without violating their points.

That was the whole point of Newspeak in 1984, to reduce language to bare minimum practically incapable of use to express complex or unpleasant thoughts.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A rare positive article in this thread, from the estimable Christina Hoff Sommers

How to make feminism great again

Perhaps the women’s movement is too elitist and out of touch with ordinary citizens, especially working-class women. That seems right, but I would go one step further. Today’s feminism is not merely out of touch with everyday Americans; it’s out of touch with reality. To survive, it’s going to have to come back to planet Earth.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom