Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is essentially the common argument binary thinkers have with "nuance" thinkers. Basically that nuance and understanding have an inverse relationship. Of course that's untrue. The difference between those two outlooks is temperament and worldview. People in the middle tend to see valid points on both sides of the argument. If you're firmly on one team though, you tend not to acknowledge the valid points of the other. ETA: I do acknowledge the point that sometimes nuances which are irrelevant are brought up as a form of virtue signaling.

Here's a binary statement I think you won't agree with: All Trumpers are terrorists. How do you like that? But, the truth is, some Trumpers are terrorists. Not all. Not even most. Not even many. A few. An insignificant number compared to Antifa terrorists, where nearly all are terrorists. Nuance understands that. And that's an important rebuttal to the claim that all Trumpers are terrorists.

If nuance is arbitrarily giving equal weight to all sides, and not just dividing the important and relevant things that are true and false, then you're right that that kind of nuance is not understanding. But can you tell the difference? If you're thinking about it in binary, binary good, nuance bad, always. So I'm even bringing nuanced perspective into the discussion about nuance. :laugh:

So I really have a tough time figuring out what could be valued more than booming markets, record low unemployment (esp. among minorities), China knocked onto their back foot, the US a net exporter of fossil fuels and the attendant low energy costs and the return of manufacturing jobs (which now I am again reading MSM articles insisting they're not coming back, when we know they could be)

I agree with pretty much all of that. But I understand that not everyone has the same priorities, which again are temperamental and worldview. And of course worldview will get in the way of consistent thinking. My SIL, for example, thinks that the economy was bad under Trump and Biden will make it better. Of course that's nonsense. But then she's a binary thinker. I don't think she's capable of acknowledging that the economy was good.

I can't see Kut being driven by green concerns, so have to postulate it is related to race/equity v equality - which is about as woke as it gets

CampingJosh I can see being driven by green issues, so rejoining the Paris accords and crippling our economy and jacking our domestic energy costs to stop 0.2° of warming while the CCP doesn't even have reducing coal generation in it's latest five year plan and isn't even required to slow the rate of increase of its emissions until 2035 (because it is a 'developing' country, you know). Climate change is also pretty woke
    Again, believing what the left generally believes about climate change isn't necessarily "woke". You can believe climate change is the most important issue because "science", or you can believe it because you have an ideological proclivity to believe it is oppressive to minorities. The former view isn't woke, it's just people believing what the experts tell them, the latter is almost a religious sort of belief about the DIE principle, (Diversity, Inclusion, Equity).

I'd bet you that CJ does not think of climate change in the binary terms you used to describe his belief.

I just see people who don't like Trump and developed a rationale to support it after the fact. I mean, come on - Kut belabored the idea that Trump was a dangerous authoritarian, but so far with what Xiden is pulling - not a word. Consistent? I think not
    I think this explains a lot about side takers. Kut picked team never-trump. And regardless of the inconsistent ways he might deploy :runaway:

But even those two are crystal clear in where they're coming from, relative to the 'Not all [subgroup under discussion] are [trait under discussion]' dance. Some of those folks seem all over all sides of an issue depending on what day you read their posting

I merely speculated that nuance and understanding have an inverse relationship
    If the nuance is relevant, it's worth stating. If you say black people are "x", and it's relevant to note that it's an unfair characterization, that IS understanding. Are are you saying nuance never has a place? Because that's what it seems like you're saying.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've often wondered what the dating thing must be like nowadays. Let's say you find an interesting person who seems female and you are dating her, things progress. And then you find out she hasn't had her "operation" yet... What would be the "acceptable" protocol on finding that it wasn't a banana in her pants.... Are you allowed to stop, or do you have to finish what you started?
    Former Child Star Arrested for Allegedly Beating Transvestite Prostitute (apnews.com)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Are are you saying nuance never has a place? Because that's what it seems like you're saying.
    I'm saying I view nuance through any given instance's place on the trivial/significant continuum, as judged by me

Although IANAE in most areas, I judge a position for relevance and veracity against a pretty comprehensive background of hard science and 'feels' and 'their truth' are don't care conditions for me in those calculations

Sidedness does play a roll in that if the virtue signaling only proceeds in one direction (as directly experienced by me), ie: that it always takes the form of 'not all [boneheaded progressives] are [enumerated foolishness]', but never 'not all [boneheaded conservatives] are [devoid of a point or wrong]' then I will dismiss it and its purveyor out of hand

The new formulation of 'Don't have anything to say, wear a suit' seems to be 'Don't have anything to say, talk about what you feel'

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    This is essentially the common argument binary thinkers have with "nuance" thinkers. Basically that nuance and understanding have an inverse relationship. Of course that's untrue. The difference between those two outlooks is temperament and worldview. People in the middle tend to see valid points on both sides of the argument. If you're firmly on one team though, you tend not to acknowledge the valid points of the other. ETA: I do acknowledge the point that sometimes nuances which are irrelevant are brought up as a form of virtue signaling.

Here's a binary statement I think you won't agree with: All Trumpers are terrorists. How do you like that? But, the truth is, some Trumpers are terrorists. Not all. Not even most. Not even many. A few. An insignificant number compared to Antifa terrorists, where nearly all are terrorists. Nuance understands that. And that's an important rebuttal to the claim that all Trumpers are terrorists.

But there are more than a "few" people who have thoughts that a vast majority of Trumper's ARE Terrorist. CNN and the like's have not helped it either by labeling what happened on Jan 6th as a ARMED insurrection. I use to have a very liberal friend, notice I said "Use to" that came right out and called me a terrorist because I supported Trump. Up until that moment I had the belief that he was a level headed decent minded person. Not now, he has shown that he is delusional with TDS.

The left leaning Main Stream Media since Trump was elected has intentionally altered their reporting and created a lot of this :poop:.

The media has also enabled a lot of the SJW's by giving it headlines and feet for it to run with. We're destroying ourselves from within with all this :bs:

Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben's and others have fallen victim. What's next Gatorade because it does not provide aid to Alligators?
    Pillsbury Dough Boy because he's too white and not toasted enough?
    Jack's Pizza because it's not Italian enough?
    Big Mac's and Whoppers because people think Micky D's and The King are fat shaming their signature sandwiches?

Damm, Bring back the 80's.

If I could invent me a time machine, I'd set it to loop constantly to keep me in that time frame where things was not as crazy.
    There was some crazy things that happened, but no where near as cra cra as it is now.

SJW's are the new drama queens doing nothing but seeking attention.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But there are more than a "few" people who have thoughts that a vast majority of Trumper's ARE Terrorist. CNN and the like's have not helped it either by labeling what happened on Jan 6th as a ARMED insurrection. I use to have a very liberal friend, notice I said "Use to" that came right out and called me a terrorist because I supported Trump. Up until that moment I had the belief that he was a level headed decent minded person. Not now, he has shown that he is delusional with TDS.

The left leaning Main Stream Media since Trump was elected has intentionally altered their reporting and created a lot of this :poop:.

The media has also enabled a lot of the SJW's by giving it headlines and feet for it to run with. We're destroying ourselves from within with all this :bs:

Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben's and others have fallen victim. What's next Gatorade because it does not provide aid to Alligators?
    Pillsbury Dough Boy because he's too white and not toasted enough?
    Jack's Pizza because it's not Italian enough?
    Big Mac's and Whoppers because people think Micky D's and The King are fat shaming their signature sandwiches?

Damm, Bring back the 80's.

If I could invent me a time machine, I'd set it to loop constantly to keep me in that time frame where things was not as crazy.
    There was some crazy things that happened, but no where near as cra cra as it is now.

SJW's are the new drama queens doing nothing but seeking attention.
    Well sure, but the point was to give an example of a “nuance” that Bug would probably agree is relevant when bat **** crazy people start calling everyone they disagree with “Terrorists”.

Anyway, it sounds like your former friend got brainwashed with all the media hype, which was the goal.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dear God no! Not the 80s! :runaway: The music sucked. :p
    Probably the 90’s were better. Even into fhe 2000s up to the election of 0bama was a reasonably normal time. I think the event that marked the point where things went off the rails was gamergate. And that was 2014.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Probably the 90’s were better. Even into fhe 2000s up to the election of 0bama was a reasonably normal time. I think the event that marked the point where things went off the rails was gamergate. And that was 2014.
    I think MTV ruined music in the 80's. It went from all that "Breakfast Club-esque" stuff to Punk TV to Rap/Hip Hop TV before it eventually stopped pretending to be a music video channel. Generally speaking, for me the 80's was a musical desert. I'm sure there are a few exceptions. I think there's a lot of good stuff being put out today though.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Dear God no! Not the 80s! :runaway: The music sucked. :p

80's 90's music is far better than most of the :poop: produced since 2000, heck even late 70's is better.

Well sure, but the point was to give an example of a “nuance” that Bug would probably agree is relevant when bat **** crazy people start calling everyone they disagree with “Terrorists”.

Anyway, it sounds like your former friend got brainwashed with all the media hype, which was the goal
    Ya, he swallowed the MSM media pill and was totally brainwashed. There is no hope for him. Everyone that knows him including his family thinks he is a candidate for the nuthouse.:runaway:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    '20s, '30s, '40s, '50s, '60s
    iu

iu

iu

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I tried finding a source that the INGO baizuo would approve, but if you don't like this one, type in "baizuo" in your favorite search engine, and pick a source that you like. How embarrassing:

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom