• Status
    Not open for further replies.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Long read, but what it appears is that if you are white and have a black thief (three in this case, who ALL pleaded guilty) arrested, you are racist - at least according to Oberlin college students and professors, and the bakery is suing for defamation.

That's what I got out of it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rape victims among those to be asked to hand phones to police

That's the BBC headline. But let me rephrase:

Those making allegations of rape are required to hand over phones and access to social media accounts or risk having their complaint dropped.

This is in response to a high profile case where evidence was withheld from the defense.

Seems like a good first step to weed out the liars. I don't like the government overreach into private lives... so I'm conflicted on that front.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Those making allegations of rape are required to hand over phones and access to social media accounts or risk having their complaint dropped.

This is in response to a high profile case where evidence was withheld from the defense.

Seems like a good first step to weed out the liars. I don't like the government overreach into private lives... so I'm conflicted on that front.

As far as due process is concerned, I am with the .gov on this one. I can also understand the discomfort with having the police going through one's most personal communications. It also occurs to me that the organized critics and complainers want to keep rape as an accusation equals guilt thermonuke that the falsely accused can't escape.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

As far as due process is concerned, I am with the .gov on this one. I can also understand the discomfort with having the police going through one's most personal communications. It also occurs to me that the organized critics and complainers want to keep rape as an accusation equals guilt thermonuke that the falsely accused can't escape.

Can't roll with you guys on this one. There is almost nothing on a phone that police couldn't get via a search warrant - with the requirement to show probable cause. It is guilty until proven innocent, which I guess is a British thing but it doesn't fly over here.

I would suggest a better solution to weeding out the liars would be legal jeopardy. The accuser should be eligible for the same punishment the accused was in jeopardy of if found to be lying, and every case should be required to be presented to a judge/grand jury once a complaint is made - no plea deals or out of court settlements

In most instances I'm aware of, simply having complainants be liable for the legal expenses of the accused in lawsuits found to be frivolous drastically reduces the number of cases brought; being liable for the same 7 to 25 as the person you accuse would likely do the same for those types of cases

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Dream just come true and you got drafted to an NFL team?

Get ready for your history to be dug up

D5QBKOuXkAA5YIY.jpg:small

I didn't know Tweeter was a thing in 2011. But I don't really follow the Face****/tweeter BS.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ‘Minecraft’ Creator Excluded From Anniversary Due to ‘Comments and Opinions’

“Minecraft” creator Marcus “Notch” Persson, who sold the title to Microsoft for $2.5 billion in 2014, won’t be part of 10-year anniversary plans for the game because of his “comments and opinions,” Microsoft tells Variety.

“His comments and opinions do not reflect those of Microsoft or Mojang and are not representative of ‘Minecraft,” a Microsoft spokesperson told Variety.

You'll recall references to his name were also recently removed from the game.

Notch has formed some "right-leaning" opinions, as of late... hence Microsoft's decision to try canceling him.

Persson, once an involved member of the video game development community, has increasingly ostracized himself with his Twitter comments, including transphobic statements and comments about a “heterosexual pride day,” and that “it’s ok to be white.” Persson has about 3.7 million followers on Twitter.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Regarding: Demonstrator glues her breasts to road in climate protest :n00b:

Just pull.
    Must have been some adhesive. Trying to get something to stick to skin and dirty road.
    The dirt usually means nothing sticks.....

Any self respecting lefty protester would sweep the asphalt first. (protest manual chapter 1)
    If you want to try this out the best adhesive to use is that polyurethane spray foam in a can. (chapter 4)
    Of course you would arrange to have cops and media called to record the protest (Chapter 6)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I thought as a submariner, I was supposed to be crazy.
    But no way am I glueing, or chaining myself to something in protest.

Possible outcome...
    I'm having a heart attack.
    I need to go to the hospital.
    Well, guess I'm F'd.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Can't roll with you guys on this one. There is almost nothing on a phone that police couldn't get via a search warrant - with the requirement to show probable cause. It is guilty until proven innocent, which I guess is a British thing but it doesn't fly over here.

I would suggest a better solution to weeding out the liars would be legal jeopardy. The accuser should be eligible for the same punishment the accused was in jeopardy of if found to be lying, and every case should be required to be presented to a judge/grand jury once a complaint is made - no plea deals or out of court settlements

In most instances I'm aware of, simply having complainants be liable for the legal expenses of the accused in lawsuits found to be frivolous drastically reduces the number of cases brought; being liable for the same 7 to 25 as the person you accuse would likely do the same for those types of cases

I agree completely, have attempted to get the ideasome attention that makes a difference and got nowhere. I would also include public officials who knowingly run up an innocent defendant as evidenced by such things as internal communications or possession of evidence indicative of the accused not being guilty. Same punishment you suggest--the maximum sentence the falsely accused could receive and liability for expenses.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I agree completely, have attempted to get the ideasome attention that makes a difference and got nowhere. I would also include public officials who knowingly run up an innocent defendant as evidenced by such things as internal communications or possession of evidence indicative of the accused not being guilty. Same punishment you suggest--the maximum sentence the falsely accused could receive and liability for expenses.

So you're saying you want Mueller's whole team questioned by hostile prosecutors seeking process convictions and those that can to be impeached? I like it :yesway:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So you're saying you want Mueller's whole team questioned by hostile prosecutors seeking process convictions and those that can to be impeached? I like it :yesway:

Dyslexia can be humorous. I first read that as hottie prostitutes. I’m like huh? Oh. Hostile prosecutors.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

Not much conflict for me. A rape allegation alone is enough to ruin a mans life.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom