code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D03h8JSgW04
    How the Olympics is exposing feminist hypocrisy

See. Here's the thing. It's...okay. Dude has a smile on his face. That explains the whole dynamic difference.

The number of dudes who don't mind a bunch of reasonably attractive females fondling their chests is far greater than the number of women who wouldn't mind a bunch of reasonably attractive dudes fondling their chests.

It can be hypocrisy. But it depends.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Some big names in the anti-SJW crowd... Eric Weinstein, Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, and Dave Rubin

[video=youtube;PagNM_oxssE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PagNM_oxssE[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    See. Here's the thing. It's...okay. Dude has a smile on his face. That explains the whole dynamic difference.

The number of dudes who don't mind a bunch of reasonably attractive females fondling their chests is far greater than the number of women who wouldn't mind a bunch of reasonably attractive dudes fondling their chests.

It can be hypocrisy. But it depends.

It's still hypocrisy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's still hypocrisy.

It's context dependent. If in the same contexts then sure. It's hypocrisy. Cackling *****es ogling "packages" is the same as a group of jerks ogling T&A. Those women admiring the beach dude's pecks effectively gave every man permission to ogle them to their hearts content.

So I guess what I'd say is the difference is that the women who are okay with it because they're okay with it just because it's the result they want, that's a good indicator it's hypocrisy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I did. Your link doesn’t work. Is it a source for tipping as racism before about 2014?

Explain how tipping predates the Civil War by quite a bit, but yet originated to keep freed slaves down. Time travel?

This further ignores the reality that IF A PERSON DOES A GOOD JOB they can do quite well with tipping. Getting paid more when you do a better job? I’ve always wanted to be in that situation.

In the video says "in America." You should note that historical precedent may be set in some place, but does not prevent it from evolving elsewhere, either at the same time, or at some other point in the future... for example, the invention of the wheel. While one may give credit to where it first was invented, that does not mean that every instance henceforth originated from the initial discovery.

In the case of tipping, in the United States, it actually predates just after the Civil War; except in the context of the video, which applied to all free men following the conflict. Tipping, in the United States started as a bonus payment to slaves and indentured servants. Both groups were not entitled to "extra" payment, as they were hired out by their those who owned them, or their contracts. Tips allowed a number of those persons to buy essentials, and in some cases, even their freedom. There was no obligation, by the employer, to compensate the worker, anymore that the worker's owner required. Slaves also, with their owners approval, could hire themselves out to make money in their free time... but again, there was no legal obligation to pay them a wage.

Following the Civil War, there was an influx of former slaves looking for employment. Given that the vast majority did not have skilled positions, or would not be allowed (if skilled) to complete for those positions, they were relegated to jobs in the service industry. Employers balked at the idea of having to pay, what they considered, an inferior a standard wage, so those former slaves given employment without a wage, relying on the generosity of patrons.

You may wish to believe that a practice that originated in Europe in the 1600s, slow rolled it's way, as a natural transition, across the Atlantic to be seamlessly applied in the United States, following the emancipation of a enormous slave work force, which was still regarded as inferiors, 200 years after the fact, but I do not.

I would hope, that rather that making a it a personal matter, which I have tried avoid, you would rather attack the facts, or (if you believe differently) non-facts, presented.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In the video says "in America." You should note that historical precedent may be set in some place, but does not prevent it from evolving elsewhere, either at the same time, or at some other point in the future... for example, the invention of the wheel. While one may give credit to where it first was invented, that does not mean that every instance henceforth originated from the initial discovery.

In the case of tipping, in the United States, it actually predates just after the Civil War; except in the context of the video, which applied to all free men following the conflict. Tipping, in the United States started as a bonus payment to slaves and indentured servants. Both groups were not entitled to "extra" payment, as they were hired out by their those who owned them, or their contracts. Tips allowed a number of those persons to buy essentials, and in some cases, even their freedom. There was no obligation, by the employer, to compensate the worker, anymore that the worker's owner required. Slaves also, with their owners approval, could hire themselves out to make money in their free time... but again, there was no legal obligation to pay them a wage.

Following the Civil War, there was an influx of former slaves looking for employment. Given that the vast majority did not have skilled positions, or would not be allowed (if skilled) to complete for those positions, they were relegated to jobs in the service industry. Employers balked at the idea of having to pay, what they considered, an inferior a standard wage, so those former slaves given employment without a wage, relying on the generosity of patrons.

You may wish to believe that a practice that originated in Europe in the 1600s, slow rolled it's way, as a natural transition, across the Atlantic to be seamlessly applied in the United States, following the emancipation of a enormous slave work force, which was still regarded as inferiors, 200 years after the fact, but I do not.

I would hope, that rather that making a it a personal matter, which I have tried avoid, you would rather attack the facts, or (if you believe differently) non-facts, presented.
    Do you have anything more factual? This looks to me like it’s mostly people claiming it’s racist because the industry wanted to pay employees less, so encouraged customers to tip. And, since some of these employees were black, IT’S RACIST! :runaway:

I just read many articles claiming the same thing. The general gist of most of them wasn’t as much about it being racist, it was more against the practice of tipping itself. The pattern seems to be, give a brief history of tipping, some acknowleging the European aristocratic origins, then go into how it hurts the employees, and how socially corrupt the practice of tipping is, then they top it off with the whole, “plus it’s racist” without really providing evidence that it was exclusively for blacks. It’s really bad deconstruction. I mean. It’s like deconstructionists aren’t even trying anymore.

It’s a useful formula for useful idiots. Pick a social practice you don’t like, then figure out how you can claim it’s racist. Then shame everyone who does it. I kinda need more than people claiming the entire tipping practice, was exclusively for blacks. Not buying it.

And about tipping being so bad. I dunno. I generally tip pretty well. I’d rather not have to. I think it makes the price much higher than it would be if they just were paid minimum wage. So fine. Let’s get rid of tipping. If they did, I doubt my bill would increas 20%. Reastaurants would have to eat some of that expense.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Do you have anything more factual? This looks to me like it’s mostly people claiming it’s racist because the industry wanted to pay employees less, so encouraged customers to tip. And, since some of these employees were black, IT’S RACIST! :runaway:

I just read many articles claiming the same thing. The general gist of most of them wasn’t as much about it being racist, it was more against the practice of tipping itself. The pattern seems to be, give a brief history of tipping, some acknowleging the European aristocratic origins, then go into how it hurts the employees, and how socially corrupt the practice of tipping is, then they top it off with the whole, “plus it’s racist” without really providing evidence that it was exclusively for blacks. It’s really bad deconstruction. I mean. It’s like deconstructionists aren’t even trying anymore.

It’s a useful formula for useful idiots. Pick a social practice you don’t like, then figure out how you can claim it’s racist. Then shame everyone who does it. I kinda need more than people claiming the entire tipping practice, was exclusively for blacks. Not buying it.

And about tipping being so bad. I dunno. I generally tip pretty well. I’d rather not have to. I think it makes the price much higher than it would be if they just were paid minimum wage. So fine. Let’s get rid of tipping. If they did, I doubt my bill would increas 20%. Reastaurants would have to eat some of that expense.

It deserved repeating and emphasis because it's just that true.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I'm not calling it racist. However, the origin of the practice in the United States, was based on the payment of social or legal inferiors (most notably the Irish and Black). The service industries following the Civil War, concerning free persons, was almost completely dominated by black people. There wasn't this "industry wanted to pay employees less," so encouraged tipping - then black people came along. That's the way it always was. Obviously slaves weren't paid, and once they were emancipated, people either weren't inclined, nor had the money to pay for labor that had previously been free. The solution? Pass the cost along to customers.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not calling it racist. However, the origin of the practice in the United States, was based on the payment of social or legal inferiors (most notably the Irish and Black). The service industries following the Civil War, concerning free persons, was almost completely dominated by black people. There wasn't this "industry wanted to pay employees less," so encouraged tipping - then black people came along. That's the way it always was. Obviously slaves weren't paid, and once they were emancipated, people either weren't inclined, nor had the money to pay for labor that had previously been free. The solution? Pass the cost along to customers.
    So the motivation was definitely to oppress people of lower social status. Couldn’t possibly be something so simple as wanting to save on labor costs.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So the motivation was definitely to oppress people of lower social status. Couldn’t possibly be something so simple as wanting to save on labor costs.

Why couldn't be both? Do you think people kept slaves because they wanted to keep black people oppressed? Practice and intent are always the same thing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why couldn't be both? Do you think people kept slaves because they wanted to keep black people oppressed? Practice and intent are always the same thing.
    Well, before you go around saying it, don’t you think there should be a bit more necessary than just claiming it? Is there a smoking gun? Any empirical evidence? Historical documents? Anything other than suspicions? Otherwise, if we are just making assumptions about various hypothetical motivations, I’ll most suspect the one which requres the fewest assumptions is most likely true.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30

ti73ih.jpg

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, before you go around saying it, don’t you think there should be a bit more necessary than just claiming it? Is there a smoking gun? Any empirical evidence? Historical documents? Anything other than suspicions? Otherwise, if we are just making assumptions about various hypothetical motivations, I’ll most suspect the one which requres the fewest assumptions is most likely true.

Here is an excerpt for the book "The Negro in the New World," (1910) by Sir Harry Hamilton Johnston:

11v4egx.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Johnston

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County

WOW, interesting claim / suggestion. Practice and intent ALWAYS the same? People "wanted" to keep slaves? I am sure "some" did. I am also sure that MANY freed slaves stayed without being forced. Many many times, slaves actually became part of the family.

I believe in todays world, people will believe what they wish, in in spite of the facts. Many times people choose to call themselves victims, when in fact they are victims of their own set of chains and NOT due to the practice of others.

Believe what you want, but don't drag me into your fantasy world.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    ^^^^
    I may add, that regardless where you came from and what you believe one's past was / is........the only one who holds the key to your future is YOU. NO one else, regardless of color, you bank balance, your traditions.......YOU are responsible to your decisions and path you take. NO ONE ELSE.

People need to stop blaming others and take responsibility. It is too easy to blame everyone else for your laziness.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom