Camby area

iu

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Cornell tells students if they are 'privileged' or 'oppressed'

A Cornell University student says student ambassadors were given an "orientation packet" that told them if they were "privileged" or "oppressed."

The packet categorized groups of people based on age, race, gender, gender identity, religion, and education level, to name a few.

Cornell_Freshman_Orientation_Handbook1.jpg

I feel like I am living in an alternate universe. I grew up being taught that it was wrong to judge individuals or entire groups based upon things like sex, race, etc.

Now we are literally teaching it, and have even managed to create more categories. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, after reading the revised Code of Conduct, I really don't see the problem

That sort of stuff would get me fired, so why can't an OS project apply that standard to contributors.

Furthermore, if the scope is truly limited as stated:

Then that same level of scrutiny would apply to me. If I use a corporate account, or go to a trade show, I better behave.

Someone please explain what I'm missing. It's pretty obvious that Mr. Ehmke is off the deep end, but if we restrain ourselves to what the document actually says, and to to the author, I don't see a problem.

Why didn't you quote the whole thing?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I feel like I am living in an alternate universe. I grew up being taught that it was wrong to judge individuals or entire groups based upon things like sex, race, etc.

Now we are literally teaching it, and have even managed to create more categories. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

It would be hilariously ironic if it wasn’t so sad and scary.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The logical conclusion of "intersectionalism" is that the potential number of intersections is equal to the number of individuals. Give it time. It will eventually sink through their heads approximately how much **** they're full of when their ideology leads back to individualism.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why didn't you quote the whole thing?

Because the rest seemed benign. Is there something else in there that you find objectionable?

Perhaps the pledge:
    [h=2]Our Pledge[/h] In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we as contributors and maintainers pledge to making participation in our project and our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.

Which doesn't seem that out-of-line for these things. A little SJ, but meh, let them feel how they want to feel.

If I'm contributing OS code, I don't see how or why I would ever need to harass the author (Coraline) by using his true pronouns. In the interest of politeness I'll just say "her".

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well...

Copy/pasting from KIA

Less than 24 hours after the COC was announced, noted SJW troll Sarah Sharp is attempting to use it to purge the mailing list of her enemies.

Specifically, one of the technical board members is conservative and will not accept her attempts to redefine rape to mean "regret," and wants to force him off the board for "conflicts of interest" -- read: he doesn't agree with her. This technical board is the board that will be overseeing any COC complaints. That means that the predicted attempts to fill the COC enforcement committee with SJW gatekeepers is already well on the way.

Sarah Sharp has been discussed on KIA before -- notably, 2 years ago she ragequit the Linux mailing list, citing Linus being "brutal" -- in effect, she was trying to tone police Linus and the entire kernel mailing list. This "fainting couch" maneuver was picked up by sympathetic media throughout the tech sphere.

It is worth noting that Sarah Sharp is also a member of the Ada Initiative. The Ada Initiative officially closed 3 years ago, but in actuality it just renamed and started "diversity consulting" firms such as "Frame Shift Consulting" which are designed to blackmail companies into hiring SJWs, as well as "Double Union" which provides "safe spaces" for people in tech unable to stand working with men or white people.

The Ada Initiative is also well known for being outed by Eric S Raymond for attempting to frame Linus Torvalds for rape.

So we have a woman who, within a day of the COC being active, is attempting to get the very board that would police COC violations at the Linux Foundation purged of people who disagree with her, as well as to have any oversight and transparency removed from the process.

A woman who has intentionally tried to push a narrative on Linus Torvalds in order to get him drived out of the Linux Foundation -- something that she appears to have finally been successful at 3 years later.

A woman who has ties to a Radical Feminist organization that was literally trying to frame Linus Torvalds for rape.

Context images:

https://twitter.com/carloslage/status/1042829596675190785/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/nickmon1112/status/1042834982849441793/photo/1

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Cornell tells students if they are 'privileged' or 'oppressed'

A Cornell University student says student ambassadors were given an "orientation packet" that told them if they were "privileged" or "oppressed."

The packet categorized groups of people based on age, race, gender, gender identity, religion, and education level, to name a few.

Cornell_Freshman_Orientation_Handbook1.jpg

As I understand this, if you are old, heavy, and speak with a hillbilly/southern drawl, you're partially oppressed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How many do you have to check in the right side column to be more marginalized/oppressed than privileged?

Is there some kind of weighting system wherein some categories trump others?

I'm concerned because I only get two check marks from the right side column and I fear that I may, in fact, be privileged. That will hinder my ability to continue claiming victim status.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    How many do you have to check in the right side column to be more marginalized/oppressed than privileged?

Is there some kind of weighting system wherein some categories trump others?

I'm concerned because I only get two check marks from the right side column and I fear that I may, in fact, be privileged. That will hinder my ability to continue claiming victim status.

I believe it’s graded on a curve.

For example, you have 2 check marks, so I’m more privileged than you, so your opinion and belief automatically outweighs mine without any validity. Now someone with 3 is more of a victim than you, so your opinion becomes invalid in comparison. Anyone who is tied has to thumb wrestle for victim hood status.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Here they give us a list, but not a clue what the leftist victim hierarchy is. This needs to be in some kind of order so we can tell just how oppressed we are, and who is lower down that we can take on with impunity.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Because the rest seemed benign. Is there something else in there that you find objectionable?

Perhaps the pledge:

Which doesn't seem that out-of-line for these things. A little SJ, but meh, let them feel how they want to feel.

If I'm contributing OS code, I don't see how or why I would ever need to harass the author (Coraline) by using his true pronouns. In the interest of politeness I'll just say "her".
    No one likes to work with jerks. That’s the purpose for such guidelines. Just say that. And, no need for you to post the link. I’ve read it a few times since it was released. It’s going to end up making it more of a toxic environment for sane people.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I believe it’s graded on a curve.

For example, you have 2 check marks, so I’m more privileged than you, so your opinion and belief automatically outweighs mine without any validity. Now someone with 3 is more of a victim than you, so your opinion becomes invalid in comparison. Anyone who is tied has to thumb wrestle for victim hood status.

Ah-HAH!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom