• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, maybe it's because nothing has ever been given to me that would have sentimental value. Both parents and grandparents are still alive, but I can't think of anything that they have that I would absolutely want.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Why? I've never seen the sense of having an emotional attachment to something that you can't take with you when you're dead.

Just because I can't take my Great Grandfathers Shotgun with me to meet Jesus doesn't mean it isn't important to me. It will go to the only boy in the family that is carrying on the family name.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Yeah, maybe it's because nothing has ever been given to me that would have sentimental value. Both parents and grandparents are still alive, but I can't think of anything that they have that I would absolutely want.

As you get older things that were not important suddenly become important. I would suggest that you spend some time with your Grandparents and Parents and ask them if they have something special that they intend to leave to you and why.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I take it back. My grandparents have a leopard skin that my grandfather killed when they lived in India. I remember countless hours laying on that, playing games, and taking naps. However, I realized long ago that I wouldn't get it because my cousins have no problem asking for things and generally bleeding them dry. So, I'll just keep the memories.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    When each of my boys turned 1 year old, my dad gave them each a .22 rifle. One boy got the 10/22 that I shot as a boy and the other got an old Remington Nylon 66 (circa 1964) with no serial number. I look forward to the day that I can give the rifles to them permanently. My boys are now 9 and 10.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I take it back. My grandparents have a leopard skin that my grandfather killed when they lived in India. I remember countless hours laying on that, playing games, and taking naps. However, I realized long ago that I wouldn't get it because my cousins have no problem asking for things and generally bleeding them dry. So, I'll just keep the memories.

If it is important to you then you should approach them and let them know your feelings. I didn't do this with my Dad and when he passed I realized that my sisters had asked him for several of the antiques and he let them take them home during visits after he got sick. I didn't want to feel like a vulture when he was alive so I didn't ask. I talked with him several times and when he would ask if there was anything I wanted I would just say "You Pop"

I think that I led him to believe that none of his possessions had any sentimental value to me. This wasn't true. They did, but I hadn't made it clear.

I wished that I could go back in time and let him know that I wanted the thirty gallon cast Iron kettle that we used at his place on the white river near the wabash river by Mt Carmel, IL. We cooked burgoo, chili, chicken and dumplings, and thousands of ears of sweet corn at the numerous get togethers at his place. Dad was very particular with the kettle. If it was ever loaned (which wasn't much) it had better be cleaned and greased back up for the next use. My sister got it and the last time I saw it, it was rusting down behind her garage. I asked her for it and she said she was going to use it as a planter. I have nothing against flowers but my Grandmother cooked many meals in that kettle and so did my Dad. Sadly the meals that the kettle produced had come to a halt and I had myself to blame.

Take the time to talk with them and let them know how you feel.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    If it is important to you then you should approach them and let them know your feelings. I didn't do this with my Dad and when he passed I realized that my sisters had asked him for several of the antiques and he let them take them home during visits after he got sick. I didn't want to feel like a vulture when he was alive so I didn't ask. I talked with him several times and when he would ask if there was anything I wanted I would just say "You Pop"

I think that I led him to believe that none of his possessions had any sentimental value to me. This wasn't true. They did, but I hadn't made it clear.

I wished that I could go back in time and let him know that I wanted the thirty gallon cast Iron kettle that we used at his place on the white river near the wabash river by Mt Carmel, IL. We cooked burgoo, chili, chicken and dumplings, and thousands of ears of sweet corn at the numerous get togethers at his place. Dad was very particular with the kettle. If it was ever loaned (which wasn't much) it had better be cleaned and greased back up for the next use. My sister got it and the last time I saw it, it was rusting down behind her garage. I asked her for it and she said she was going to use it as a planter. I have nothing against flowers but my Grandmother cooked many meals in that kettle and so did my Dad. Sadly the meals that the kettle produced had come to a halt and I had myself to blame.

Take the time to talk with them and let them know how you feel.

Wow, if properly cared for that thing would have made some delicious food. I can also sympathize with this a little bit, my dad had a dolphin figurine that was given to him by his mother, that had two smallish diamonds in it for eyes. He gave it to my sister and she broke it by throwing it in an argument. It was one of the few things that my dad had got from his parents, due to his other siblings pawning and auctioning off the other stuff.

To answer the thread, the ashes, food, and water bowls from my cats who have passed, the collection of National Geographics (1963-2008) I inherited from my grandfather, the old webley revolver copy I got gifted from my grandmother, and the little S&W .22 I got gifted by my father that was his aunt's.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Mine is eerily similar to 88GT. My grandparents loved doing "crafty" things together. My granny lost her eyesight in one eye by the time she was 30 and by the time I was a teenager she was pretty much totally blind. In 1982 they hand painted a ceramic nativity. That was the last crafty thing they did together before her eyesight was too far gone. They gave it to my parents as a gift one Christmas. Every year after Thanksgiving dinner it was tradition to put up the nativity. I especially loved it...more so than anyone. My granny told my father that she wanted it to be mine one day.

Without totally ragging on him, all I can say is that my father is not sentimental and sold pretty much everything he could after my grandfather died and my granny was put into a nursing home. One night he called me at about midnight and told me he was coming over to bring me the nativity. I don't know exactly what happened to make him so adamant to bring it to me in the middle of the night but I know she had something to do with it. About 2 months later she was gone. I'm positive that if she hadn't forced him to give it to me it would have been thrown in the trash somewhere.

That is my absolute most prized possession. It isn't fancy and there are pieces that have hands broken off as well as an ear missing off the donkey. That was mostly because in her old age she would pick it up and try to arrange it because it reminded her of my grandfather. With her lack of eyesight she would often knock pieces into each other. I don't care though. It's perfect to me. And I wouldn't sell it for anything. There are some things that money can't buy. Wonderful memories from my childhood fall into that category

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I have an old Elgin railroad watch that was given to my grandfather in 1954 as a wedding gift. It was carried by my grandfather's grandfather on the railroads. It is sterling silver and has gold gears inside. The key to wind it hangs on it by an old rope thats been there for YEARS holding it. Still winds up and keeps time like its brand new. Its mine, but it still stays at my parents house. Ill have to get a picture of it when I get over there.

My grandfather is leaving me his old engraved wingmaster shotgun, and my ungle is leaving me a really nice engraved nickel and pearl colt 1911.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Honestly, there's nothing I own that doesn't have a price tag on it. On the other hand, my wife thinks everything should be saved.

I agree for myself, other than perhaps my wife and kids offer enough and it's sold. The price maybe well beyond what the item is worth on an open market, but if someone wants to give me 100x or so what it is worth without sentimental attachment, well.... But that also depends on what the item may be worth, I have a stone that my grandfather considered lucky, and carried with him every time he went to Vegas, along with the coin purse he carried it in. Actual value maybe $.02, offer me $100 I'll tell you no. Offer me a billion, well.......

Nothing?
    How sad.

Why? Perhaps the money could be used to create new memories. The stone I mentioned above would have no sentimental attachment to my kids, other than I cherish it. They were both born long after my grandfather passed away. Now if I were to sell it, that money could be used to fund things that they would have memories of and cherish.

It's not about being sensible. That's why it's called an emotional attachment as opposed to a rational fondness.

There's nothing in my house that doesn't have a price tag either (that includes my chidlren, big strapping boys, young so you can train them up to your liking, can we start the bidding at $1). I do believe it's all just stuff. But that doesn't mean that some of it doesn't have a very, very, very high price tag.

How old are your boys? I'll put in a bid for $2 if they are under 14 and over 4.

You can't take people with you either. Are they for sale?
    Things I have that help me remember people or events, are not for sale.

I have a few things (well maybe more than a few) that help me remember people. For example a radio that sat on my grandpa's shelf in the kitchen. I have it sitting next to my bookshelf. me as I type this I remember it from as long as I can remember, but offer enough I would probably sell it. That amount would not be anywhere near what it is worth without the sentimental attachment though. But my kids or grandkids wouldn't have that attachment. If someone was to offer me enough for that radio, I would sell it.

Thee was an informal auction amongst family. If more than 1 person was interested in the same item, it went to bid.

My family has had similar. We didn't "auction" the items. But a price was put on each and the total of all items was divided up. Each person got to pick in order and what they picked was subtracted from the "money" they had. Also have done it where no price was attached and everyone took turns picking one item at a time.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    At least with the auction, you can find out how "sentimental" something really is. Very few items had more than 1 interested party and anything that had appraised value was bought at that value or auctioned from there.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    At least with the auction, you can find out how "sentimental" something really is. Very few items had more than 1 interested party and anything that had appraised value was bought at that value or auctioned from there.

With my family it was sentimental value. The appraised value was just to make sure things were "even" for probate purposes. Another funeral was just pick a number and then everything went in rounds without regards to value. And yes some things with more monetary value went after things with less monetary value.

ETA Most of my family is sentimental and that is why we picked what we picked. Other families may vary. But what we did worked for us except for the first round of picks there shouldn't be any disagreements. Although I will admit I had some complaints over my 3rd and unknown number round of picks which were two rings. 3rd round was my great grandmothers engagement ring, the other was a cocktail ring which my dad gave to my grandmother. My one sister started to complain that I wasn't a girl so I shouldn't have picked them, my brothers and other sister said if they wanted them they should have picked them on the previous rounds. The engagement ring I loaned to my wife when I proposed.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My dad gave me my great grand fathers double barrel 20 ga which is a pre savage 311 made for westerfield. My grandfather on my mom's side gave me his Remington 1100 lt 20 my grandmother bought for him on his birthday back in the late 70's. She ended up passing when I was only a few months old.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom