• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    This sport never ceases to amaze me. In many ways but mainly the highs and lows. Take my hunt yesterday for example.

I decided to take the black widow recurve out as it hasn't seen any action this year and the longest shot I was likely to see was 30 yards. A shot I'm comfortable with and have shot thousands of times the last couple years. On the way to the stand walking through the last field of beans we still have standing I spot the spawn of satan himself (ground hog). To me groundhogs are never too far to shoot at. Load up an arrow, let fly and hear the telltale "thump". No way did I just make that shot! Sure enough.....Satans spawn is deader than a hammer. At 41 yards with an instinctive recurve. I'm the next generation Fred bear! (High). This took place at 2:15 pm. I paused to take a couple pics and went on to my stand.

Upon reaching my stand I tie my bow to the rope get my harness clipped in and start to climb. Just as I am ready to step onto platform here comes a mature doe and 2 button bucks. Dang! If I wouldn't have messed with that stupid groundhog I'd he ready! Of course all 3 deer come into 10 yards and offer perfect broadside shots. It took me 45 painstaking minutes to get into stand pull up bow and get arrow nocked. They had walked away at this time but the mature doe was still under 30 yards. Remember I just smoked a groundhog at more than 40 this deer is as good as on the meat pole! At least that's what I'm thinking at the time. Take the shot and hit her high and a tick forward. Watch her run 200 yards arrow still in her. (Low. Actually really low). Decided to hunt the rest of the afternoon and give her 5 or 6 hrs. Not 20 minutes later here comes Satans other son in the form of a coyote! Aaaaaaaand I sail one over his back at 15 paces (really really low now).

An hour or so after dark we start trailing the doe I made the bad shot on. The blood trail was tough to say the least. 2 hrs later and 500 more yards and we found her. She had expired in her bed. (Really really high). Confirming my decision to give her a bunch of time this was now 7 or so hours after the shot and she was barely stiff!

So in the course of an 8 hr period I went from on top of the world to down in the dumps. Then really down in the dumps to right back on top of the world. I guess the highs wouldn't be so sweet if there weren't some lows that came along from time to time.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    it is the weather.. yesterday I was putting up a ladder stand at a new location.. so I had to trim branches.. made a lot of noise and wass sweating...
    just got into stand & radioed wife to tell he I was in it.. when a button buck walks right up to me.. she is answering back on radio that she is stuck in tower blind by a doe, she was hunting turkey with Shotgun,
    while I am quickly trying to get crossbow loaded while deer is staring at me...

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    My low, from 3:30 until 6:40, nothing. Then, 8 doe walk out of the woods into the corn field next to me. Then here he comes. 12 points that I can see through the range finder. 255 yards. Too far for the mighty Horton crossbow. I make a few grunts and some doe in a can noise and he's walking towards me! He stops and looks past my spot. A few hundered yards down the road, someone stopped. He was gone.

cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    Much better than my excursion a couple of weekends ago. Guided a youth hunt on my uncle's farm in KY. After getting everyone in the stands on Sat. I decided to grab my bow and hit a stand I haven't been too in a few years. Spent 45 minutes trying to find it to no luck, about lost my boots in muck and drenched myself in sweat. Decided to then make my way out of the woods and set up next to some hay bales to glass a big valley and hunt a trail. Saw 16 turkeys....all out of bow range.

Sunday evening I decided the same thing other than setup in my trusty stand I use for gun season to see what kind of activity there is and maybe a shot on a doe. A thunderstorm ensues. REALLY wanting to get out of the cold, wet stand but tough it out since I would be bothering the father/son duo that was hunting a shelter blind if I went back and set in the truck. After enduring the rain and seeing absolutely nothing but squirrels I get back to the truck at dark to find my hunters had walked back to camp before the rain because "it was windy".

My weekend was full of lows but at least I got out in the woods for a bit rather than honey-dos. Plus, which is the most important, the three kids whom have never taken a deer all got their first. Much more rewarding than if I were to take one.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Been there done that. Years ago on a bowhunt in Colorado I smoked a coyote at 60 yards. I had been shooting all summer and was really on top of my game. A week after returning, I completely blew a 25 yard shot on a 160 class buck standing broadside in a logging road looking the other way. I was totally dumbfounded.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom