Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Very first shot.
    30ft.
    I'm not that good.
    This gun made me look good...
    It's ok to be jelly.

FirstShotafterrebuild_zps3551d90f.jpg

Maybe your better then you thought :) I hope the rest of the trip went as well

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Seriously. It shoots better than I'm capable of. If I was a better shot, that string on the left would be closer to the middle. And there wouldn't be a flyer up top.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Seriously. It shoots better than I'm capable of. If I was a better shot, that string on the left would be closer to the middle. And there wouldn't be a flyer up top.

That's pretty good for the first range trip since the makeover. It will settle in once you get a little more range time with it. My Colt/Caspian that Allen built is a range favorite when I shoot with new people. One of the guys was ready to sell/trade his XD45 for a 1911. After a long conversation, he finally realized they all are not built the same... and mine wasn't for sale.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    AllenM, what's your opinion on the stripping block modification below (skip to the 3:00 mark)?

http://youtu.be/WvVEkSNp_VE

I have seen it and I actually kind of like it. In my "opinion" it would be of a greater benefit to something like an open or limited competition gun that you want to cycle without hesitation. I have been tempted to play with it but when everything is tuned properly there isn't much resistance from the disconnector anyway.
    However like I said I do like the concept just haven't gotten around to trying it I do have an open gun I am putting together that would make a candidate though.
    I don't see any advantage for the standard 45 1911 though

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's pretty good for the first range trip since the makeover. It will settle in once you get a little more range time with it. My Colt/Caspian that Allen built is a range favorite when I shoot with new people. One of the guys was ready to sell/trade his XD45 for a 1911. After a long conversation, he finally realized they all are not built the same... and mine wasn't for sale.

That is always a point in the conversation that will either propel them into 1911 ownership or they realize their budget is not up to the task

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    That is always a point in the conversation that will either propel them into 1911 ownership or they realize their budget is not up to the task

I've seen that look on their faces when I tell them what my fancy 1911s cost.
    I also pulled out the Range Officer (you talked me into) and let them shoot it. Their eyes got real wide again knowing they can afford a quality gun. They understand it's not a custom hand fitted gun but they weren't 1911 shooters to begin with. Once they get spoiled on the trigger and sights it's all over for them.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Once they get spoiled on the trigger and sights it's all over for them.

That's usually how it goes! I tell folks the worst single action trigger still feels better than the best double action.
    I have a 70's Colt with a not-so-great trigger (you wouldn't think that would be the case, eh?), and I have a Kahr CW45. The Kahr's trigger isn't bad as far as DA goes, but at the end of the day, it's still a DA and has a long crap pull. Side by side with that gritty chunky 70's, it makes the SA feel like butter. They always get saucer-eyed at the difference and usually weed all the DA types out of their "Gotta buy now!" list, in deference to any SA.

Also...
    This Gunsite gun is just getting funner and funner to shoot.
    I don't like the indoor range as much, but it's closer and not as cold...so...
    This time, I moved the target as far as the wire goes...about 50ft.
    I know if I was better, it wouldn't be such a loose group (there was one in the "6" that completely missed the Shoot N C sticker just out of picture frame...but that's MY bad, not the gun).

I just love it.

AllenM is 1911King.

IMG_4027_zps2ee392dd.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    That's usually how it goes! I tell folks the worst single action trigger still feels better than the best double action.
    I have a 70's Colt with a not-so-great trigger (you wouldn't think that would be the case, eh?), and I have a Kahr CW45. The Kahr's trigger isn't bad as far as DA goes, but at the end of the day, it's still a DA and has a long crap pull. Side by side with that gritty chunky 70's, it makes the SA feel like butter. They always get saucer-eyed at the difference and usually weed all the DA types out of their "Gotta buy now!" list, in deference to any SA.

Also...
    This Gunsite gun is just getting funner and funner to shoot.
    I don't like the indoor range as much, but it's closer and not as cold...so...
    This time, I moved the target as far as the wire goes...about 50ft.
    I know if I was better, it wouldn't be such a loose group (there was one in the "6" that completely missed the Shoot N C sticker just out of picture frame...but that's MY bad, not the gun).

I just love it.

AllenM is 1911King.

IMG_4027_zps2ee392dd.jpg
    What types of ammo have you fed it JG? I've seen pistols much more finicky than rifles as to what they really like to eat. What I see on your paper it looks like you know what you're doing.
    Put your mind into it 100% and try a few different types ammo. I'm thinking you'll be surprised at the difference

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    What types of ammo have you fed it JG? I've seen pistols much more finicky than rifles as to what they really like to eat. What I see on your paper it looks like you know what you're doing.
    Put your mind into it 100% and try a few different types ammo. I'm thinking you'll be surprised at the difference
    A little bit of a few different things. At least 50rds each of Independence, Lawman, Fiocchi, and AE. I think 150 of the Win Service Grade and PMC. and almost 100 of the Olin(Win) Match (I'm kinda stingy with that...that's what I *think* I was shooting with the target pictured, and it's what I was shooting for the very first shot). I haven't run any hollow points nor any SWC yet. Hornady CD or Zombie Max is next on the list.

2f7eb87f-ac1f-41d0-9710-aef11d0fe5ca_zpszf4ljlx1.jpg

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I would hate having to defend that :)

What load the gun would really shine at accuracy wise is 185gr lead semi wad cutters on top of 3.8grs of bullseye. That would be the true point and click load. Pretty much available hand load only and would probably require a lighter recoil spring.
    But it would be impressive, your target above is impressive enough.

Top Bottom