• ...and so much more!
  • jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Glock has sold, in ≈ 26 years, MORE than 7,000,000 pieces. Which does not include their International sales or LEO / Mil. 1911-types have not even APPROACHED that in OVER 100 years. Again, NOT including any sales to LEO / Mil. Can you say "Best" in Austrian? Contest over. GLOCK: 7-million votes. 1911 and all the rest: < . Sorry, but that is not an opinion.

You're kidding, right? There has to be at least 7 billion 1911s out there.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OK here's my opinion based on the way these guns changed the shooting world. First would have to be the Colt Single action Army, because for it's time it was the revolver perfected While the Smiths of the times were in some ways more practical gun with it's top break and superior shell ejection system that were ahead of Colt, it was fragile in many ways and it used and under powered cartridge.
    Next was the 1911 It beats the Luger in reliability and sheer Brut force with a 230gn bullet instead of the little 115gn. And while the Luger is a fine piece of work it doesn't work well when dirty

Then there is the Ruger Standard model and its off spring. It was innovative with its stamped parts and Bill Ruger took a piece of :poop: Japanese Namboo pistol improved on the design, styled it like a Luger to make it look apealling. And sold a boo koo million of them starting in 1949. It was the every man's and Boy's gun. (and the ladies like them too) I think he started selling them for about $29.00.

And finally I would have to say the the original Glock would have to be in there because it was the first practical Polymer framed Pistol. So IMHO these are the 4 most significant modern guns of the last 150 years or so/

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    It would be very difficult to ever find another handgun as accurate, reliable, dependable, or just fun to shoot as a S&W 686. With that being said, I think that the S&W models 629 and 617 both would be very close to sharing that same honor.

Rip007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    My vote goes to Samuel Colts' Colt 45 SSA or peacemaker which ever you prefer to call it!

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    It's very hard to say, considering i only know the guns ive shot.....for the revolver i am stuck on the Ruger GP100, because i had one and it was the most accurate no trouble wheel gun IVE ever shot.

Semi auto.....dare i say it, the Glock is up there...lol

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    There is no greatest, but as the most influential and/or most important, I'd have to say the Colt 1851 Navy.

It was the one that made handgun carry practical. It was big enough to have decent power, small enough to carry on the belt, about as reliable as could be for the period (and far ahead of most others before), and while not cheap it was within financial reach of a lot of people.

It changed everything.

RandomCubed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    It's very hard to say, considering i only know the guns ive shot.....for the revolver i am stuck on the Ruger GP100, because i had one and it was the most accurate no trouble wheel gun IVE ever shot.

Semi auto.....dare i say it, the Glock is up there...lol

I'd have to agree with the sentiment about the GP100, great solid gun; until you want to shoot more than six rounds at a time

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I figure to start a thread for the best pistol ever built. you do not need reasons behind your example, this is just opinion. i think it would be interesting to hear from everybody. I would like to take you answers and make some sort of poll. maybe then we will be able to pick a winner. i personally will have to think on this one long and hard.
    autos, plastics, revovers, single shot, black powders, and whatever i forgot.
    pick your best and submit.

Greatest pistol...can also mean personal favorite pistol! And do you mean greatest contribution to the pistol line-up...or best innovation to influence pistol design?

I think the greatest contribution is John Browning's 1911...no other pistol design has so greatly influenced multiple generations of people than the 1911 style pistol!

I think the greatest innovation in pistol design is Gaston Glock's model 17...which has influenced an incredible change in how pistols are designed stryker vs. hammer, polymer vs. steel, simple vs. complex, etc.

I think the greatest pistol is the one you grab for personal defense, be it a semi-auto or a revolver! As long as it works...and is effective enough that you live through it...it's an awesome gun! I've carried a GP100...and for many years, an SP101...but lately, I've converted to the Glock 23 (Gen II) in .40 S&W!

On the street...a .40 is my pistol of choice as I simply want to make sure I can adequately defend myself, then evade and escape! At home...I prefer a revolver that has a heavier caliber as I want to make sure the BG is dropping in his tracks!

Top Bottom