• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think it is much more likely that streaming will just create virtual cable companies with all the arrogance, greed and anti-competitiveness of the originals

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I'm wondering how the ransomware had permissions to do anything on a domain controller. Someone failed miserably at the principal of least privilege.

The first goal of pretty much all malware/hackers once they enter a network is to elevate privileges. Once you have admin/root, you can do almost anything. There are ways to minimize such attacks, but no way to absolutely shut it down.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The first goal of pretty much all malware/hackers once they enter a network is to elevate privileges. Once you have admin/root, you can do almost anything. There are ways to minimize such attacks, but no way to absolutely shut it down.
    Yep, which is why there should be a single digit number of accounts that could do anything damaging to a domain controller and those accounts should only be used when making a change to the domain. For malware to be executed with a credential even remotely capable of accessing a DC is a security failure of monumental proportions.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This isn't more competition. This is each studio creating a monopoly for their content.

I get that, but most people will pick one maybe two based on what content they want to watch. So still competition, but with licensing rights.

If there was only 1 in play, do you think it would charge less than if there are many (even with different content)? And while I don't like it, I can understand content producers/license owners wanting to get as much $ for their intellectual property as they can and maximize that streaming market.

I love Marvel stuff, but I likely won't ever pay for Disney's streaming service as I just don't want to pay for another streaming service.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Netflix is going to edit out a scene from their show "13 Reasons Why", which is about suicide.

Raises questions about media preservation going forward... especially since they say they will go after people that upload the original, unedited version to the Internet.

+1 for Piracy
    -1 for Revisionists

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Netflix is going to edit out a scene from their show "13 Reasons Why", which is about suicide.

Raises questions about media preservation going forward... especially since they say they will go after people that upload the original, unedited version to the Internet.

+1 for Piracy
    -1 for Revisionists

Meh.

That stuff has been happening far before Netflix. Pre-coffee, but I can at least point to South Park as an example.

It's their material, they can decide that they want to make an edit after it originally airs. Heck, this sort of stuff has been happening ever since Gutenberg made his contraption.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    FYI - Don't use "FaceApp", the viral thing going around that makes people look older.

It's a Russian-owned app that has 100% ownership of you by using it. Your photos, et al, can be used for whatever commercial purpose they choose.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Meh.

That stuff has been happening far before Netflix. Pre-coffee, but I can at least point to South Park as an example.

It's their material, they can decide that they want to make an edit after it originally airs. Heck, this sort of stuff has been happening ever since Gutenberg made his contraption.
    You can go back a lot farther than that. Just look at some of the older Looney Tunes episodes. As a kid I didn't even realize they were censored and the jokes had no impact on my current treatment of people. I watched Bugs Bunny as blackface plenty of times and didn't even know what it was until the SJWs made a big deal out of current affairs where someone painted their face black.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    FYI - Don't use "FaceApp", the viral thing going around that makes people look older.

It's a Russian-owned app that has 100% ownership of you by using it. Your photos, et al, can be used for whatever commercial purpose they choose.

Yeah. If the product you're using is free, chances are YOU are the product.

Top Bottom