• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The self signed cert thing is bad. Most IT people don't even understand PKI let alone consumers bombarded by overly protective but ineffective web browsers.

My current favorite is when the security/policy office claims that a 0 day vulnerability must be patched on all windows systems immediately and pushes out the patch without even communicating to system owners before the patch goes out.

Well, no one wants to pay for CA certs on dev environments. That's the only place we use them.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For a website sure, but not when you are using it for an SSH session into a switch that is only accessible from the internal network.

Well, no one wants to pay for CA certs on dev environments. That's the only place we use them.
    By "bad" I meant "overexaggerated". A self signed cert can be more secure than one of the big budget CAs so long as you trust its publisher/creator. I always argue with chrome about self signed stuff.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    By "bad" I meant "overexaggerated". A self signed cert can be more secure than one of the big budget CAs so long as you trust its publisher/creator. I always argue with chrome about self signed stuff.
    Ah. The latest "security" changes by all of the browsers make me crazy. I have a bunch of internal tools that get all kinds of warnings when I go to them. Some even after I frickin install the self-signed cert on my laptop. :xmad:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Text messages (maybe?), photos, browser history... I don't think the carrier would have that info.

The number of companies that have different levels of insight into your phone data is much larger than most people realize:

• Typically, any info that passes through your carrier's network can be recorded by the carrier. The biggest key is whether that communication is encrypted. So, SMS (not generally encrypted), voice (not generally encrypted) and web data (mixed) can be captured/recorded. Even when actual data is encrypted, what web sites/services you are interacting with, when and from what location (aka metadata) is easily recorded.
    • Your phone's OS vendor (Apple/Google) has much insight into what you are doing. The phone OS is routinely contacting Apple/Google in the background. You are guaranteed to have at least some of the following going on: reporting on phone activities (location, apps being used, etc), backing up your data to Apple/Google, using vendor services that provide direct info for the vendor (searches, google maps, gmail, Siri, etc). It is almost impossible to stop this tracking, even when you try to turn off these services.
    • Have any apps on your phone? *Many* apps generate revenue by relaying information about your activities. Some apps are clean of such reporting, but that info is not easily visible. Here is one Android app that has 19 trackers embedded. The more apps on your phone, the more organizations are building electronic dossiers on you.

Frankly, if you carry a smart phone, you are paying a monthly fee for a tracking device that is continuously reporting on your activities to many organizations that you likely aren't even aware of. Welcome to surveillance capitalism.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The number of companies that have different levels of insight into your phone data is much larger than most people realize:

• Typically, any info that passes through your carrier's network can be recorded by the carrier. The biggest key is whether that communication is encrypted. So, SMS (not generally encrypted), voice (not generally encrypted) and web data (mixed) can be captured/recorded. Even when actual data is encrypted, what web sites/services you are interacting with, when and from what location (aka metadata) is easily recorded.
    • Your phone's OS vendor (Apple/Google) has much insight into what you are doing. The phone OS is routinely contacting Apple/Google in the background. You are guaranteed to have at least some of the following going on: reporting on phone activities (location, apps being used, etc), backing up your data to Apple/Google, using vendor services that provide direct info for the vendor (searches, google maps, gmail, Siri, etc). It is almost impossible to stop this tracking, even when you try to turn off these services.
    • Have any apps on your phone? *Many* apps generate revenue by relaying information about your activities. Some apps are clean of such reporting, but that info is not easily visible. Here is one Android app that has 19 trackers embedded. The more apps on your phone, the more organizations are building electronic dossiers on you.

Frankly, if you carry a smart phone, you are paying a monthly fee for a tracking device that is continuously reporting on your activities to many organizations that you likely aren't even aware of. Welcome to surveillance capitalism.
    Can record and do record are two different things.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom