• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    New video from Ahoy, who does great graphical, informational videos. He has an entire series based on firearms from a game perspective.

This one is on the Commodore Amiga

"FLATLINE: How The Amiga Languished"

[video=youtube_share;zB_UZsJUbwQ]https://youtu.be/zB_UZsJUbwQ[/video]

I had an Amiga 500.
    I loved it.
    Still have it upstairs, boxed up.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    OK fellow techies, any of you fluent in survielance cameras/features?

Note, I am an IT pro (UNIX/Linux Sys Admin) so know my way around most tech.

I am shopping for some IP/Network cameras. The last one I bought as a test was some LogiTec camera that only after I unpackaged it and tried to connect to it directy (http://<cammera_ip>) did I fond out you HAD to use their stupid cloud server to access it.

Sorry, I don't want any 3rd parties involved with my security camera setup I just want to be able to hook it up to my network and access it. I can do a NAT or port forawrd to it my self through my router (PFsense).

What do I need to look for to find a camera that has it's own http server and does not require a 3rd party to access it?

It seems like pulling teeth to find the specs that show it is a general purpose ip camera. None or few even mention wether it is cloud based or will work direct access on the box. I plan to setup a ZoneMinder server similar to the one I installed at my workplace.

At work we are using Axis cameras that I know are direct access (as well as Foscam), but they are VERY pricey at >$200 each for what I need.

No PTZ needed, fixed and indoor use is all I need for now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK fellow techies, any of you fluent in survielance cameras/features?

Note, I am an IT pro (UNIX/Linux Sys Admin) so know my way around most tech.

I am shopping for some IP/Network cameras. The last one I bought as a test was some LogiTec camera that only after I unpackaged it and tried to connect to it directy (http://<cammera_ip>) did I fond out you HAD to use their stupid cloud server to access it.

Sorry, I don't want any 3rd parties involved with my security camera setup I just want to be able to hook it up to my network and access it. I can do a NAT or port forawrd to it my self through my router (PFsense).

What do I need to look for to find a camera that has it's own http server and does not require a 3rd party to access it?

It seems like pulling teeth to find the specs that show it is a general purpose ip camera. None or few even mention wether it is cloud based or will work direct access on the box. I plan to setup a ZoneMinder server similar to the one I installed at my workplace.

At work we are using Axis cameras that I know are direct access (as well as Foscam), but they are VERY pricey at >$200 each for what I need.

No PTZ needed, fixed and indoor use is all I need for now.

You get what you pay for, especially in CCTV. I'm partial to Hikvision, but they are officially only sold through servicing dealers. So no warranty and no tech support for DIYers. You can get them on Amazon, but you are on your own. The only downside is unfounded security claims their competition pushes. Frankly it looks like Hik is undercutting them and eating their lunch, and they dont like it. So they whine about ChiCom security issues, backdoors, etc but nobody has been able to actually point to any proof. That rumor got them kicked out of .gov projects over a abundance of caution, which feeds back into the anti's claims. "See! We were right!"

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So, one privacy/tech thing to consider.

I've always avoided using fingerprint scanners on my phone because you can be compelled to unlock your phone by authorities.

Well, my friend was in a serious crash yesterday. Medics were able to alert his parents (he was unconscious) by using his thumb to unlock his phone and find someone in the list with the same last name as him.

Obviously they would have alerted his family somehow, but that likely ended up being the fastest way of doing so.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I've always avoided using fingerprint scanners on my phone because you can be compelled to unlock your phone by authorities.

Well, my friend was in a serious crash yesterday. Medics were able to alert his parents (he was unconscious) by using his thumb to unlock his phone and find someone in the list with the same last name as him.

Obviously they would have alerted his family somehow, but that likely ended up being the fastest way of doing so.

Or, a note in the wallet that says, In Case of Emergency Contact....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Don’t need that. At least not on iPhones. There is a medical ID feature. When configured and filled out ANYONE can hit “emergency”in the lower left of the lock screen, then medical ID in the same spot on the next screen, and it displays your name, photo, dob, blood type, allergies, and emergency contacts

You can can configure it under settings, emergency SOS.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don’t need that. At least not on iPhones. There is a medical ID feature. When configured and filled out ANYONE can hit “emergency”in the lower left of the lock screen, then medical ID in the same spot on the next screen, and it displays your name, photo, dob, blood type, allergies, and emergency contacts

You can can configure it under settings, emergency SOS.

Ah true... never really thought about settings something like that up. Or even having contact info in my wallet. I guess no one expects something like that to happen.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The 8-Bit Guy looks at how vintage game controllers worked mechanically/electronically, how they communicated with their systems

[video=youtube_share;WVnwfwXnNiQ]https://youtu.be/WVnwfwXnNiQ[/video]

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Ah true... never really thought about settings something like that up. Or even having contact info in my wallet. I guess no one expects something like that to happen.

And always wear clean underwear...just in case you have an accident and have to go to the hospital - (What my mom always said.)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I guess that's something I've always dealt with.
    US Navy had emergency contact information. Seemed it was updated every change of Duty Station. Had to wear a dog tag, so everyone knew who the body used to be, with the blood type in case I wasn't quite dead.

Steel mill. Mostly the same without the dogtag. I have emergency contacts filed with the corporation, and with the area I work in.

Paper in my wallet in case it's a car accident.
    Spent a lot of time traveling around, where there was no family in the area to know if I was missing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Marques Brownlee reviews thw Google Pixel Slate tablet... and explains why it's so disappointing.

[video=youtube_share;HOh6d_r63Bw]https://youtu.be/HOh6d_r63Bw[/video]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We need to get a smart developer to develop an android app that will remove these permanent apps. I'd pay $5 for that app and I'm sure a lot of others would.

Facebook, Uber, Samsung Health and other Samsung apps could all go. No more worries about clutter, memory drain, apps working in the background, playstore updating, etc.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This has been an issue since the dawn of smart phones. It's only now an issue as facebook has fallen out of favor with the masses. If you can gain root access on the device you can remove the apps but that has been getting more difficult and arduous. Also usually comes with some kind of penalty wherin the device claims it's not secure even though it is technically more secure without facebook and other apps you don't want/use.

PCs also suffer from this but you have the power to remove the apps. For some reason phone vendors believe they have the right to tell you what third party apps you must have on your device.

Top Bottom