• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    FBI to America: Reboot Your Routers, Right Now

The FBI has issued a dire warning to everyone who has a router in their home. The Internet Crime Complaint Center sent a rare Public Service Announcement declaring: "Foreign cyber actors have compromised hundreds of thousands of home and office routers and other networked devices worldwide."

The hackers are using VPNFilter malware to target small office and home office routers, the FBI said. "VPNFilter is able to render small office and home office routers inoperable," the FBI warns. "The malware can potentially also collect information passing through the router. Detection and analysis of the malware’s network activity is complicated by its use of encryption."

The feds recommends "any owner of small office and home office routers reboot the devices to temporarily disrupt the malware and aid the potential identification of infected devices." They also advise to consider disabling remote management settings on devices, use encryption, upgrade firmer and choose new and different passwords, which is pretty much best practice anyway.

... Don't tell me what to do.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dell Unveils New Ubuntu Laptops

Still doubt it'll hit mainstream... Your average consumer isn't ready to transition off of Windows.

.... Then again, I think of how my users handled the transition from Windows 7 to 10... it'd be nearly the same teaching them a Linux distro.

The real question is how long will Dell update them and will users keep them up to date. On unpatched Linux machine is just as bad as an unpatched windows machine.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Once it's in the user's hands, they are on the hook for updates and maintenance, not Dell. I've never had service done by the manufacturer (except on the ones I've built :@ya:). The advantage to this is you can get your laptop without paying the micro$oft tax. You have to be a special kind of relentless to get m$ to refund that, and only if you're never going to use it. Have you ever tried to buy a system that wasn't infected with windoze? You pay good money for it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Once it's in the user's hands, they are on the hook for updates and maintenance, not Dell. I've never had service done by the manufacturer (except on the ones I've built :@ya:). The advantage to this is you can get your laptop without paying the micro$oft tax. You have to be a special kind of relentless to get m$ to refund that, and only if you're never going to use it. Have you ever tried to buy a system that wasn't infected with windoze? You pay good money for it.
    Build your own. No cost for Windows. In fact, the price of a Windows license is what makes it more appealing to buy a complete system from someone.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Forget The GDPR, The EU's New Copyright Proposal Will Be A Complete And Utter Disaster For The Internet

The EU is trying to force websites (of all sizes) to pay taxes for every outbound link, and all forum/social media sites are held legally liable for anything their users post. Hello widespread censorship and mandatory filtering. It gets even worse--if a website links to another website that has copyright-infringing material on it, it too is liable for any legal penalties.
    Websites should just block access from EU nations.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Forget The GDPR, The EU's New Copyright Proposal Will Be A Complete And Utter Disaster For The Internet

The EU is trying to force websites (of all sizes) to pay taxes for every outbound link, and all forum/social media sites are held legally liable for anything their users post. Hello widespread censorship and mandatory filtering. It gets even worse--if a website links to another website that has copyright-infringing material on it, it too is liable for any legal penalties.

I guess that no Chinese web sites will be available in the EU then...

Top Bottom