• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been a gadget guy my entire life. I love finding simple, relatively inexpensive things that work well and make life easier. Some gadgets I just like due to the design, materials used and/or quality. Doesn't have to be a mechanical device, I have a mild fascination with Amsteel and paracord as examples.

Today I'm trying out my latest find and it's working superbly. I prefer to cook my bacon slowly to render out as much of the fat as possible. I cut the package in half and just pay the pieces in the cast iron and put it on the lowest setting, moving things around every 5-10 minutes. Works awesome but the mess was always an issue. I tried the splatter screens but they're mediocre at best and the heat from the propane stove melted whatever adhesive they used. This thing is called the Frywall and they make a few different sizes, mine is the 10".

hsLbs3qh.jpg

QN5Rw7yh.jpg

Anyone else?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If one is looking for truly effective gadgets for the kitchen them Americas Test Kitchen is the absolute best source. They do independent equipment tests from potato peelers to massive coolers and in between.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If one does not have a pizza stone in their oven they are missing an awesome piece. Great for baking homemade pizza, it also makes leftover pizza taste as good as fresh and sometimes better, Then if you do not have a peel and a great pizza cutter, to pick up that pizza and cut it you are missing another pair of great tools.

A pizza stone should live in your oven, it helps maintain more even temperatures in the oven and faster recovery after you open and close the oven door.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If one is looking for truly effective gadgets for the kitchen them Americas Test Kitchen is the absolute best source. They do independent equipment tests from potato peelers to massive coolers and in between.
    They're a resource I use before I buy much of anything for the kitchen, I haven't been disappointed in one of their recommendations yet.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I bought a $20 OBDII Bluetooth scanner several years ago because of a check engine light that kept coming in my truck. One of the best $20 I've spent.

Screenshot_20220306-125606.png

This is the one I bought. It's $21 now on Amazon. I use a free app called Torque to use the scanner. You can check engine codes, clear them and display all things your computer has a setting for, realtime.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I found one.

cheap but really handy. A 180 lumen lantern for camping. can hang from the top of your tent, or sit like a Weeble on a table. And under $5. Its a little bigger than a baseball so it doesnt take up much room.

Website says 100lm but the tag on it says 180. Regardless its just enough light for inside a tent.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I bought a $20 OBDII Bluetooth scanner several years ago because of a check engine light that kept coming in my truck. One of the best $20 I've spent.

View attachment 186154

This is the one I bought. It's $21 now on Amazon. I use a free app called Torque to use the scanner. You can check engine codes, clear them and display all things your computer has a setting for, realtime.
    I bought the hundred dollar one but it sure is nice not to have to run to a parts store to get it scanned then wonder how much bs they’re trying to feed you.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Well maybe not the best gadget this close to Uvalde but…

When working in areas of my building with self closing locked doors a small magnet on the metal door frame keeps the door from latching shut when I step out to get the one tool/part I forgot to bring with me. No digging for keys, no loaning out my key ring to someone else working in the locking room.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well maybe not the best gadget this close to Uvalde but…

When working in areas of my building with self closing locked doors a small magnet on the metal door frame keeps the door from latching shut when I step out to get the one tool/part I forgot to bring with me. No digging for keys, no loaning out my key ring to someone else working in the locking room.
    How about a little closer to Uvalde... Ive got some militaurs. They are nice. And work on Aluminum doors too.

Name

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Randolph County
    I've been a gadget guy my entire life. I love finding simple, relatively inexpensive things that work well and make life easier. Some gadgets I just like due to the design, materials used and/or quality. Doesn't have to be a mechanical device, I have a mild fascination with Amsteel and paracord as examples.

Today I'm trying out my latest find and it's working superbly. I prefer to cook my bacon slowly to render out as much of the fat as possible. I cut the package in half and just pay the pieces in the cast iron and put it on the lowest setting, moving things around every 5-10 minutes. Works awesome but the mess was always an issue. I tried the splatter screens but they're mediocre at best and the heat from the propane stove melted whatever adhesive they used. This thing is called the Frywall and they make a few different sizes, mine is the 10".

hsLbs3qh.jpg

QN5Rw7yh.jpg

Anyone else?
    I'm a little late to the party but...
    Oven on °380
    Line baking sheet with parchment paper
    Lay bacon out flat on said sheet, and put in oven
    Drain grease off every 7ish minutes until cooked to your liking.

I also prefer to dig the the packs to find the fattiest one.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Most things I buy to make life easier involves tools for work = not cheap:(

My latest investment is a Hilmor hydraulic swage tool and reverse kit for my benders.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm a little late to the party but...
    Oven on °380
    Line baking sheet with parchment paper
    Lay bacon out flat on said sheet, and put in oven
    Drain grease off every 7ish minutes until cooked to your liking.

I also prefer to dig the the packs to find the fattiest one.
    Used to bake ours and have tried it on foil, parchment paper and cooling racks above a sheet pan. None of them compare to slowly frying the bacon in its own fat for my taste.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Used to bake ours and have tried it on foil, parchment paper and cooling racks above a sheet pan. None of them compare to slowly frying the bacon in its own fat for my taste.
    And if you cook with the grease, the pan method seems to yield the most grease.

But parchment paper in the oven is the easiest especially for cleanup and splatter.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy

View attachment 186154

This is the one I bought. It's $21 now on Amazon. I use a free app called Torque to use the scanner. You can checke engine codes, clear them and display all things your computer has a setting for,the same on realtime.
    I have the same one and it has saved me a ton of money.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I found one.

cheap but really handy. A 180 lumen lantern for camping. can hang from the top of your tent, or sit like a Weeble on a table. And under $5. Its a little bigger than a baseball so it doesnt take up much room.

Website says 100lm but the tag on it says 180. Regardless its just enough light for inside a tent.

And for the INGO approved light: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Firefly-...nWKNgy&athancid=null&athena=true&athbdg=L1300

Sparkle Light.jpeg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I found one.

I have a few of these from Harbor Freight and I like them a lot. If they're predicting power outages I put one in each bathroom at home and I take them camping too. On sale right now for $3.99 (ends today, but they go on sale frequently). You can adjust the brightness depending on how much you pull the top up too.

1654442893844.png

Top Bottom