• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    What is the future of gun shows? Do you still plan to go or do you think it's pointless? Is there an advantage to going? I go at least once a year and I love to do it. Though every time, a friend tells me about "the good old days" and laments at how much it shrank. Having only been into this since 08, I'm only now seeing a shift.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I will still go, on the off chance of that one in a million deal, and to talk guns with like minded people, kind of why i come here. One other thing is you never know what walks through the door with the people in attendance, that's who i have been buying from lately.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I will still go, on the off chance of that one in a million deal, and to talk guns with like minded people, kind of why i come here. One other thing is you never know what walks through the door with the people in attendance, that's who i have been buying from lately.
    It's why I go. The random factor, the chance circumstance, who knows if serendipity might give you a helping hand.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I still go, and expect many to continue as well. As Drakkule said, there is still the chance of finding that one-off special you have been looking for, and if nothing else still a fun time looking at the varied things you find there. Almost like a museum except everything is for sale.

As for "the good old days", I too lament the time when quality 9mm was under $100 a case, 7.62x39 blaster was $70, quality .223 was $120 a case. Those days are gone, and we just pay the current rates if we care to continue to enjoy our sport.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Of course I'll go, I've made some fantastic deals at shows, terrific buys. Nowhere else can I see the selection of arms and ammo and reloading equipment and components all under one roof. Yes there are many with prices way to high, but there is always the chance for the golden bar at the next table.

The above is the same reason I shop Pawn shops. Two months ago I picked up a like new Winchester 94 in 30-30 for $175.00. Last week I got an B & D 18 volt cordless drill very slightly used for a mear $20.00 bucks and a nice pair of Bushnell Binocks 10 X 20 for a whapping $6.00.

Deals are out their, and you'll never find them staying at home. But if that is your wish, it works for me, it works very well for me, more for me to select from.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I've been going to gun shows since '55. Just went to one today and I can tell you, they ain't what they used to be. I have spent enough in admissions to buy a couple-three very good guns.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I think the real value in gun shows for me is trading. I almost got a deal on a glock 20 today but...was sold right in front of me when I went back to get it!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Sure I will continue to attend - probably went to 10 ~ 15 shows this year. I usually attend Tipton, Lafayette, Indianapolis, Kokomo. My son and I usually go, sometimes his wife, and some friends go with me. I find a lot of odds and ends for my gun collection, see what they are asking for different models, buy a gun once in a while, buy Ammo, bullets, Powder Misc. etc. when the items are priced what I would pay on the web with shipping. I don't sell or trade guns - once mine always mine, just buy more! I do think there are a few less vendors attending as the Gun Store business is so good right now that either they don't have the extra inventory or time, or don't need/want to bother to haul the stuff to the shows.

joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I get a lot of pleasure attending gun shows. I have my favorites and some shows that are not so good. I don't usually buy guns. Mostly I find a part that I need; an old home gunsmithing book for a great price; and even a gun sometimes. There is plenty of time for good conversation that is not always worthwhile but, it is still conversation about a subject (firearms & shooting) I still enjoy.

Just take a few hours and enjoy the time. Some day it may all be gone. Then what will we do?

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Still attend gun shows when time permits. Yes hindsight is perfect, if we could have all bought the barrels of sks's in cosmoline for $60 per rifle. But then if we don't go and enjoy, they might not be here in the future to enjoy.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Gun shows used to be gun shows. Today...they are mostly a place to buy trinkets. As more of those in the gun market become familiar with the Internet, the trend will continue to be away from LGS's and gun shows. Shows will likely survive but will never be the worthwhile events they used to be. Those days are gone forever.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What is the future of gun shows? Do you still plan to go or do you think it's pointless? Is there an advantage to going? I go at least once a year and I love to do it. Though every time, a friend tells me about "the good old days" and laments at how much it shrank. Having only been into this since 08, I'm only now seeing a shift.

The future? Very bright. As gun restrictions lessen and the gun culture expands, gun shows will continue long into the future, even if 3-D printing is perfected.

Still go? I don't understand "still"? Why "still"? Always have.

I think a lot of younger guys get confused that when they walk into a gun show someone is going to hand you a free gun or something. Or that you will get a $100 on your crappy plastic pistol that you all write paens to on the Internet.

Nah, you go to look for the Corvettes in barns. This means you have to do your homework and if you do your homework you will score deal after deal.

If you do not study, then you go on INGO and post "thar ain't no dealz I seen at the gunz show".:D I score deals every single show and I've put a few of them on INGO.

Advantage to going? Yes, you have to put in work to find what you want, whether it is a Corvette in the barn or a deal on your crappy plastic pistol.

The "good old days"? Ummm, if they were so good, why didn't your friend spend more money and get set then?:laugh:

It is currently a seller's market. Guns are selling like hotcakes to lumberjacks. Collectible guns are being snapped up as inflation hedges.

However, it's tough all over and it was tough in the "good old days" too.;)

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    I'm really looking forward to going to the one in Valpo in Febuary. It just stinks it only Twice a Year. I have one at the Lake County Fairgrounds ( right around the Corner from my house) but it kinda stinks. I've been there several times now and every time its the same old stuff. Beside, I hear that the Valpo one is really good.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    GUN SHOWS

I like gun shows i set up and desplay my grips and some antique guns . I love to talk to people about the different wood&material i use .You meet some cabby customers some that walk around with a frown on their face . no reason to be grumpy at a gun show . It can be a history lesson for people and young kids .I love to talk to younger people and have them pick up a firearm that was made when A.Lincoln was alive ,explain history of the gun that started S&W firearms ,show how it was loaded &worked. NO i'll never get rich but i have fun .It's a day well spent like going hunting you don't have to get any game to enjoy the hunt . And if all you are looking for is a GUN go to your local dealers store.How many stores will let you try grips on your gun before you buy.Had a man at the last show try on 6 sets of grips before he picked out the set he wanted, the next day he came back and bought another set. I have been going for 50 yrs and and have seen many changes but still go and enjoy.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    The only thing better than going to a gun show with a friend is taking my kids to a gun show. It's like planting vegetables in a garden...

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I like the small shows close to home. There's always a bunch of old and odd guns to check out plus maybe some parts that I might be needing.
    You can meet some interesting people and I like to shoot the breeze with them.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I still enjoy going to gun shows even if I see a bunch of overpriced stuff.

I will say that I have become somewhat "picky" about shows. I go to the Fort Wayne shows from time to time as they are convenient.

I try to attend the Indy1500 every other year as I find it to be the best locally. A 2 1/2 hour drive for a very good selection and reasonable prices can be found.

This is the first year in three (3) years I have missed the Tulsa show. I have concentrated on paying of debts and cash has been limited. Tulsa is the best show to go to hands down period ever!

I'll hit the Louisville show or Knob Creek to visit with a friend. The visit is as good as the show.

The legal movement in this country has been positive, overall. Chicago still has problems but they have been loosing their court cases. This is good.

Bloomberg has been loosing influence and this is good.

More and more states are improving their carry laws and this is good.

All of these shifts have made guns, gun owners, and outdoors-men (and women) move into a more positive light.

The internet is allowing us to educate ourselves on the values of firearms so that the "jack up the prices jerks" are finding it harder and harder to rip off folks. Still happens, always will. But it will happen less.

Gun shows are awesome for finding rare accessories. One mans junk is another mans treasure - especially at a gun show!

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom