The Funny Picture/Video Thread, 16th Edition…The laughs just keep on coming…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Ok you asked for it.
    In mathematics, a fractal is a geometric shape containing detailed structure at arbitrarily small scales, usually having a fractal dimension strictly exceeding the topological dimension. Many fractals appear similar at various scales, as illustrated in successive magnifications of the Mandelbrot set. This exhibition of similar patterns at increasingly smaller scales is called self-similarity, also known as expanding symmetry or unfolding symmetry; if this replication is exactly the same at every scale, as in the Menger sponge, the shape is called affine self-similar. Fractal geometry lies within the mathematical branch of measure theory.
    :laugh6: :rofl::lol2:
    Snail shells more closely resemble the Fibonacci progression.

1+1=2, 2+1=3, 3+2=5, 5+3=8, 8+5=13 and continuing to be as large as the constructure needs to be. It becomes very strong!
    This progression is used in development of certain horn shaped musical instruments as well, but with predictable log fractions of each dimension, instead of whole numbers.

I can't remember if it was Mandelbrot or one of his students that proved, using fractal geometry, that the shoreline around the main isle of Great Britain was indeed, infinitely long.

:dunno:
    That's right! Fibonacci is what I was thinking of.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Here is a visual. It's similar to the the infinite shoreline paradox. There will always be more "edge" if you look closely enough.

Mandelbrot's self same, demonstrated as an understatement of enormous proportions.

That's only a few hundred iterations.

... and not yet exploring negatives in the formulae, squares, roots, cubes, cube roots, etc, let alone the vast "matheverse" of decimal logarithmic functions imaginable.

There's a lot more here, but I think you've done a fine summation.
    Thank you for finding that graphic!

Addendum:
    Sorry. I did not watch the whole thing, at first. I watched further and realized this was more than a few hundred iterations.

Title states 10 to the 227th power. Impressive.

Can't say how deep I've gone, but my computer sometimes takes days to render a 10K X 10K pixel image to peruse for imagery I can print and sell.

Sometimes I have more than one rendering going at uselessly small resolutions with a few odd factors thrown in to the formulae.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Mandelbrot's self same, demonstrated as an understatement of enormous proportions.

That's only a few hundred iterations.

... and not yet exploring negatives in the formulae, squares, roots, cubes, cube roots, etc, let alone the vast "matheverse" of decimal logarithmic functions imaginable.

There's a lot more here, but I think you've done a fine summation.
    Thank you for finding that graphic!

Addendum:
    Sorry. I did not watch the whole thing, at first. I watched further and realized this was more than a few hundred iterations.

Title states 10 to the 227th power. Impressive.

Can't say how deep I've gone, but my computer sometimes takes days to render a 10K X 10K pixel image to peruse for imagery I can print and sell.

Sometimes I have more than one rendering going at uselessly small resolutions with a few odd factors thrown in to the formulae.
    IMG_7271.gif

I mean, yea, me too! That’s what I meant to say.

Top Bottom