The Funny Picture/Video Thread, 15th Edition: Be more like Coleman.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    perfect-reaction-pic-instead-expressing-my-emotions-healthy-communicative-way-artmemescentral

That's not "healthy communicative"?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    True Story:

1976. I am 16 years old. Mom has a ‘69 Chevelle with hardly any miles on it for its age, maybe 25,000. It’s a very basic budget Chevelle, no power anything, no air-conditioning, four doors, basic V8, IIRC 307? The only concession to luxury is an automatic transmission because my mom can’t drive a stick. She didn’t learn to drive until she was in her 40s and she never liked it. She did not like cars, did not understand anything about them, and it scared her to drive. Her very first car accident came not long after she learned to drive, and three year-old me was there for it. I remember being on this multi lane turn in the middle of Columbus, and hearing a loud noise. I looked to my right, and saw the front tire of the semi that she had just wandered over the lane into. Made a hell of a racket, but oddly enough, it didn’t scare me. By the way, this was in a Dodge station wagon, before the Chevelle.

Anyway, it’s now 1976 and mom still doesn’t like cars and doesn’t know anything about them. 16-year-old newly licensed me? Oh yeah, I know about cars.

I notice dad and the Chevelle are gone. That’s interesting because dad generally sticks to driving his car. I don’t remember exactly which car he had in those days, but it didn’t matter because nobody ever drove dad’s car except dad. If I did any driving, it was with mom’s car. So I’m keenly interested in what happens to mom’s car. I asked mom what’s up?

Mom: “Dad took the Chevelle down to McDonald’s Chevrolet in Nashville to trade it in on a Corvette.”

My face: :wow:

My brain: :runaway:“A CORVETTE!?! DAD IS TRADING IN THE CHEVELLE FOR A CORVETTE!?!? HOLY MOTHER OF MOTORS WE’RE GETTING A CORVETTE!?!?”

Then rational thought intrudes. These are my very responsible, sober, unflashy parents. My depression-era raised, very frugal and conservative WWII veteran hard working parents, who never took a sick day from work, who had a very modest house, whose idea of vacation was to visit mom’s relatives every couple years, who did not spend a dime they didn’t have to, and sometimes even then didn’t spend that dime.

My brain spins around a couple more times and then latches onto a horrific thought.

Me: “Did dad say he was going to trade it in on a CORvette, or a SHUHvette?”

Mom: “ Corvette, Chevette, what’s the difference?”

Me: :ugh::n00b::crying::facepalm::puke:

Sure enough, dad came home pretty soon with a brand new 1976 2-door+hatchback Chevette. Chevy‘s first pathetic attempt to compete with the Japanese economy cars.

It was a serious downgrade from the Chevelle. 1.4 L engine, and just to make it worse, because mom hated driving and didn’t/wouldn’t drive a stick, an automatic transmission. It had the acceleration and top speed of a geriatric gerbil. It seated two and a bag of groceries uncomfortably, but if everybody held their breath, it could seat five skinny people in agony. (I did get 23 high school girls into it one time. There’s photographic proof in the 1978 BCHS year book.) I don’t think it even got all that much better gas mileage than the Chevelle.

But that’s what I began my driving career with, and because mom hated driving and didn’t like cars, I got to do a lot of her errands, or chauffeur her around. When I went off to college, I think it had 19,000 miles on it, of which I put on 18,758 or so.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom