2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    xc1v2p.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

For those of you not familiar, this is a reference to the story of Eric and the Gazebo. It's an anecdote from back when Dungeons and Dragons was a commonly-played RPG. It goes like this:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Ladies and gents, for your ultimate amusement, I hereby give you the full tale of Eric and the Gazebo!
    =============================================
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]

Let us cast our minds back to the early days of Fantasy Role Playing, back when ye Dread Gygax was loose upon the land. Funny how humor and horror can start out so alike. Let us go still earlier (yes, it is permitted to breathe sighs of relief) to the days before Gygax (and the courts) thought that he owned FRP. In the early seventies, Ed Whitchurch ran "his game," and one of the participants was Eric Sorenson, a veritable giant of a man. This story is essentially true: I know both Ed and Eric, and neither denies it (although Eric, for reasons that will become apparent, never repeats it either). If my telling of it does not match the actual events precisely, it is because I've heard it many different ways depending on how much of what type of intoxicants Ed had taken recently.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]The gist of it is that Eric, well, you need a bit more about Eric, or else I won't fill quota. Eric comes quite close to being a computer. When he games, he methodically considers each possibility before choosing his preferred option. If given time, he will invariably pick the optimum solution. It has been known to take weeks. He is otherwise in all respects a superior gamer, and I've spent many happy hours competing with and against him, as long as he is given enough time. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]So, Eric was playing a Neutral Paladin (why should only Lawful Good religions get to have holy warriors was the thinking) in Ed's game. He even had a holy sword, which fought well, and did all those things holy swords are supposed to do, including detect good (random die roll; it could have detected evil). He was on some lord's lands when the following exchange occurred: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]ED: You see a well groomed garden. In the middle, on a small hill, you see a gazebo.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ERIC: A gazebo? What color is it?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ED: (Pause) It's white, Eric.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ERIC: How far away is it?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ED: About fifty yards.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ERIC: How big is it?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ED: (Pause) It's about thirty feet across, fifteen feet high, with a pointed top.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ERIC: I use my sword to detect good on it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ED: It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo![/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ERIC: (Pause) I call out to it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ED: It won't answer. It's a gazebo![/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ERIC: (Pause) I sheathe my sword and draw my bow and arrows. Does it respond in any way?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ED: No, Eric, it's a gazebo![/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ERIC: I shoot it with my bow (roll to hit). What happened?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ED: There is now a gazebo with an arrow sticking out of it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ERIC: (Pause) Wasn't it wounded?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ED: Of course not, Eric! It's a gazebo![/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ERIC: (Whimper) But that was a plus three arrow![/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ED: It's a gazebo, Eric, a gazebo! If you really want to try to destroy it, you could try to chop it with an axe, I suppose, or you could try to burn it, but I don't know why anybody would even try. It's a *)@#! gazebo![/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ERIC: (Long pause. He has no axe or fire spells.) I run away.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ED: (Thoroughly frustrated) It's too late. You've woken up the gazebo, and it catches you and eats you.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]ERIC: (Reaching for his dice) Maybe I'll roll up a fire-using mage so I can avenge my Paladin.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]At this point, the increasingly amused fellow party members restored a modicum of order by explaining what a gazebo is. It is solely an afterthought, of course, but Eric is doubly lucky that the gazebo was not situated on a grassy gnoll...[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]=============================================
    I should now probably explain that a gnoll is a monster straight outta the Fiend Folio...
    [/FONT]

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    ya its all fun and games till i hit a school bus full of kids.... which almost happened last week...

What? I never said I didn't do the right thing, I only said that it gets old when you cross train tracks 15 times a day.

If you almost hit a school bus and you did all of the things you are required to do and the bus driver did not you need to contact the school system and report it, TODAY!!!!!

Peoples lives could be in danger.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom