Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    69959592_10157746592163413_5883534823863091200_n.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Yes, thank you, I have never seen one before.

HUGE time saver for CAD/CAM work. The wheel lets you move models arounds the screen...

[video=youtube;yMhqA_GndmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMhqA_GndmY&list=FLZ6pbqHD-5F7_C74kb-ejdA&index=2&t=0s[/video]

Buttons can be mapped to keyboard shortcuts for frequently used commands.

It also works well with other programs like Chrome, any Office products, etc for scrolling, zooming, whatever.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    HUGE time saver for CAD/CAM work. The wheel lets you move models arounds the screen...

[video=youtube;yMhqA_GndmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMhqA_GndmY&list=FLZ6pbqHD-5F7_C74kb-ejdA&index=2&t=0s[/video]

It also works well with other programs like Chrome, any Office products, etc for scrolling, zooming, whatever.

I predict you might like iDrive (if you don't already) :)

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside

Is that also a CADmouse? I've been pricing out new workstations for use with soildworks and thinking about getting the mouse. I'm not sure If I could get use to the spacemouse

Is that also a CADmouse? I've been pricing out new workstations for use with soildworks and thinking about getting the CADmouse. I'm not sure If I could get use to the spacemouse

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Is that also a CADmouse? I've been pricing out new workstations for use with soildworks and thinking about getting the CADmouse. I'm not sure If I could get use to the spacemouse

Yes.

I can't get used to one... First job out of school was with a huge automotive supplier and the boss told all of us new guys not to count on a Spacemouse being there if we go to suppliers (and he was right, as well as at other jobs I've had over the years), so he didn't buy us any. I grew accustomed to "mouse only". Been that way for 14 years in the trade now and still can't get the hang of a spacemouse, but I mouse-mouse like a beast. I have his identical spacemouse rotting in my desk drawer. If it was mine, I'd give it to you.

IMO, I wouldn't say it's a time saver (the hot keys are nice, but you can do that other ways) but it is a MASSIVE hand saver. My mouse hand is wrecked, bad... So, if you CAN get the hang of one, you can divide your workload across both hands at least, which is saying something. What I do instead is buy the most beastly, comfortable, light-weight, regular mouse I can find. I usually land on Logitechs as they seem to have the lightest buttons and "scroll-iest" scroll wheels. Their current offering also runs on only one battery, which makes it have abysmal battery life (it's rechargeable), but really light weight.

Also FWIW, as far as the workstation, you really don't have to overbuy these days. The cheapest Nvidia Quatro card ($400 the last time I bought one) does a fine job and SWx isn't overly processor intensive unless you're doing a ton of simulation (in which case, SWx isn't the best tool anyhow, IMHO). It does seem to be a little RAM hungry at times, depending on what you're doing. If I open 5-6 500 part assemblies at once, it will get cranky with 32GB, jumping up to 64GB has cured any and all problems. Make sure you budget your RAM slots for at least 64GB without pulling RAM out, but I wouldn't say its a requirement off the bat. The last CAD station I built was an off the shelf HP of decent specs. Put 64GB in it, a cheap Quatro, and a 1TB SSD and I was off to the races. With dual 27" monitors included, the entire system was under $2k, and that was almost 3 years ago (running SWx 2017 SP0 at build time). Stuff has gotten a lot cheaper since then.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I still use 0.3mm mechanical pencils.

Pretty sure I've got those in my drafting box too along with scales and all sorts of other things that I hope I really never have to use... But if I must combat Google's Terminators, then rise to action I shall.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    At this juncture I am reminded that my opinion in the mid 1980s that CAD was "just a fad" was . . . in error.

Really? In the mid 80s I thought CAD was the ****, and would only get better as technology advanced. Except I thought CAD would require no human input by now. Still maybe a decade or more to go for that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom