2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Denny...

An icon of Saint Hubertusdepicting his vision of a crossbetween the antlers of a stag.​

The label on Jägermeister bottles features a glowing Christian cross seen between the antlers of a stag.[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14][/SUP] This image is a reference to the two Christian patron saints of hunters, Saint Hubertus and Saint Eustace, both of whom converted to Christianity after experiencing a vision in which they saw a Christian cross between the antlers of a stag.[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][16][/SUP]
    In the product name on the label is one of the few surviving examples of the use of the long s in print.
    The label contains the following verse from the poem Weidmannsheil, by the forester, hunter, and ornithologist Oskar von Riesenthal; von Riesenthal is not credited on the label.[SUP][17][/SUP]
    Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild,
    daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild,
    weidmännisch jagt, wie sich's gehört,
    den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

According to Mast-Jägermeister SE,[SUP][18][/SUP] the translation is:
    It is the hunter's honour that he
    Protects and preserves his game,
    Hunts sportsmanlike, honours the
    Creator in His creatures.

A loose translation which preserves the rhyme and meter is:
    This is the hunter's badge of glory,
    That he protect and tend his quarry,
    Hunt with honour, as is due,
    And through the beast to God is true.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

This is closer to the truth than you might realize.

ETA: Whoops, I am on my phone so I didn’t immediately see that blue falcon already denny’d this.

As noted Saint Hubertus Is the patron saint of hunters and Jaegermeister literally means master hunter. It is the only European drink I can think of that is meant to be consumed absolutely ice cold. All the bars in Europe keep it in the freezer. When I came back to the US I was surprised to see it just sitting on the shelf at room temperature. It’s designed to be a winter hunter Drink, it has a higher alcohol content so that it doesn’t freeze While you’re hunting deer thigh high in snow in the middle of the Ardennes forest. Because it’s meant to be drunk ice cold, the flavoring elements have to be strong to have any taste at all. But if you warm it up to room temperature the alcohol and the stuff used to flavor it become stunningly overwhelming!

I used to ride horseback with a Dutch ridining group in the Brunssumerheide, the forest that’s next to the city of Brunssum, not so far from Maastricht where St Hubertus was Bishop. We had a Saint Hubert’s ride every November, which involved traditional dress, horses and several shots of Jaeger Meister. :)

Those were good times.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Air Force, Navy and Marines can all wear the Parachutist Badge upon completion of Army Airborne training.

EDIT: He is wearing a Senior Parachutist Badge, which, unless I am wrong requires a couple of mass tactical full equipment and full equipment night jumps. Which the Air Force does not conduct. It could be done in one tour in an Army Airborne unit.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis