• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That is probably a standard memo for every vehicle. I imagine that if you looked you could find one for each vehicle at every manufacturer.

The Chargers were particularly bad in a rear collision, as the fill door for the gas tank is very near to the drivers head and would douse the driver with fuel (no sealing caps back then) before setting them on fire.

Wasn't that Ed Norton's job in Fight Club?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    when the tornadoes hit us a few years ago we couldn’t get through on cell, but home phone worked. I’m happy to keep both for now.

When I got Uverse to my house, I had to give up the POTS connection. (Was actually the same cabling at the time, but AT&T would not run both services on it). I could still get a land-line-type phone service through Uverse, which was good because cell phone coverage is really poor at my house, but instead of paying the monthly Uverse phone fee I got a AT&T Microcell for about $125. It acts like a mini-cell tower and routes the call out of my house via my internet service, so our cell phones get five-bar connectivity in and around the house. Also I believe I can use the WiFi calling option on my phone to do essentially the same thing, but the Microcell has been working well so haven't bothered testing out WiFi calling. I have an UPS for the Wifi router and the Microcell, so when the power fails I still have phone service and wifi security camera service (and INGO surfing!) available for a few hours, and if necessary I can hook up to other backup power. So far the local electric company's outages, even in big storms, have been short enough that the UPS has been able to cover them.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    My argument has always been, "show me one other car from that era built differently." Every single one had the fuel tank between the bumper and the axle, and most didn't have it partitioned from the cabin with a firewall. The only thing separating most motorists from a gruesome death in the '70s was about 2 inches of cheap foam.

Corvair. Gas tank was in front, separated by a firewall and +/-5' back from the front bumper. Of course that car will kill you other ways if you believe the hype.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Corvair. Gas tank was in front, separated by a firewall and +/-5' back from the front bumper. Of course that car will kill you other ways if you believe the hype.

Well that, I don't believe. I actually read "Unsafe at Any Speed". The main criticism, the swing axles, were the same design as earlier Beetles (U-joints at the transaxle only) and you had to specifically try to upset it violently to get the axles to "jack" (as it was called in the book). Later Corvairs and Beetles had U-joints at the transaxle and the wheel and eliminated the possibility completely.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well that, I don't believe. I actually read "Unsafe at Any Speed". The main criticism, the swing axles, were the same design as earlier Beetles (U-joints at the transaxle only) and you had to specifically try to upset it violently to get the axles to "jack" (as it was called in the book). Later Corvairs and Beetles had U-joints at the transaxle and the wheel and eliminated the possibility completely.

Testify. In the late 1990s I had a 1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible. Great car, fun as heck. I especially loved going to the range, popping the hood and pulling out a big ol' rifle case.

Briefly had a vanity plate NDRH8R

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

...reading wikipedia.... Wait a minute, is it true that Nader didn't even have a DL when he wrote the book?!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My dad always said that his Corvair kept him safe, since it would run hot and strand him often enough that he didn't dare drive it anywhere that he wouldn't want mom to potentially have to come and pick him up. I didn't know what he meant at the time, since I was young, but I later learned he was talking about a couple of notorious bars in town.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana

My first car was a 1965 Corvair 500. Had a lot of fun with it. Loved the front bench seat for a variety of reasons. Only problem was that it did not go in reverse, so I had to think strategically every time I parked it.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    48343440_10158315039844062_8062407291158134784_n.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Someone ran out of OCD meds...about three to four days back I reckon.

I'm thinking closer to a full week. What really boggles my mind is that they took the time to cut it and arrange perfectly on the bread, then took time to take a picture of it, but didn't take time to properly fry it.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

Love corvairs. Beautiful little cars. If anyone bothered to read the manual, it also specified that air pressure in the rear tires had to be higher than the air pressure in the front tires to prevent excessive oversteer. Most people made all 4 tires the same and then wondered why it was so squirrely.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom