HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Meanwhile, at the CLE seminar:

Cdwu8GVWwAAmH9_.jpg:large

I went to 2 seminars in New Orleans last week. In the first seminar, one of the sessions was about effective Powerpoint use including such tips as not crowding too much info on a slide and definitely not reading from the slides.

In the second seminar, all of those rules were violated....repeatedly.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I went to 2 seminars in New Orleans last week. In the first seminar, one of the sessions was about effective Powerpoint use including such tips as not crowding too much info on a slide and definitely not reading from the slides.

In the second seminar, all of those rules were violated....repeatedly.
    Dude.... I worked for, and taught at, the University for 10 years. PowerPoint was the DEVIL. My favorite example: a 1 hour lecture in front of 150+ students. 80+ slides in the deck. NO PICTURES. Each slide was a wall of 12-point font that the instructor (a PH. D., mind you) read aloud and then clicked to the next one. She did NOT make the slides available to the class, so rather than pay attention, they all had to scribble FURIOUSLY to catch even a little of it. Most interesting: what she said and what was written could be DIFFERENT, and one or the other would be the RIGHT answer on a test. Absolutely awful.

</rant>

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Dude.... I worked for, and taught at, the University for 10 years. PowerPoint was the DEVIL. My favorite example: a 1 hour lecture in front of 150+ students. 80+ slides in the deck. NO PICTURES. Each slide was a wall of 12-point font that the instructor (a PH. D., mind you) read aloud and then clicked to the next one. She did NOT make the slides available to the class, so rather than pay attention, they all had to scribble FURIOUSLY to catch even a little of it. Most interesting: what she said and what was written could be DIFFERENT, and one or the other would be the RIGHT answer on a test. Absolutely awful.

</rant>

That the technologically advanced version of what my World Civ prof did in college. He had an overhead projector with the roll of acetate he could crank across it....which was covered in his tiny handwritten notes, as he lectured he would hand crank the notes across the overhead. The lectures touched upon the notes, rarely, and sometimes contradicted them....then the tests were on the projected notes, not the lecture.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That the technologically advanced version of what my World Civ prof did in college. He had an overhead projector with the roll of acetate he could crank across it....which was covered in his tiny handwritten notes, as he lectured he would hand crank the notes across the overhead. The lectures touched upon the notes, rarely, and sometimes contradicted them....then the tests were on the projected notes, not the lecture.

tumblr_nv4l0qiqqT1tp42tfo1_500.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom