The fire department is begging in the middle of the intersections now???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    They were out by Wally Mart the other day. No signage no nothing. Just some dudes holding boots. I agree, it did look a little fishy. I'm sure what they were doing was going for a good cause. But some signage would have helped.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    They do it here too but always with decent signage and in larger numbers, they also post what they are collecting for...I can see a couple people getting hold of some old fireman clothes and doing this as a scam with just the two each wearing just part of the uniform and homemade signs it does sound fishy.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I agree there definitely needs to be a nice, big sign...I always like to know what I'm donating for and the amount donated varies from cause to cause...Anything dealing with Children's misfortunes always takes top priority.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    :patriot:They do it here in the Kentuckiana area all the time .
    Whas crusade for children ,as part of the kosair charites for kosair childrens hospital ......

But they always have the Firetruck visibal on one corner and plenty of signage ..No mistaking them when they do it :ingo:

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Make a wish, Jerrys Kids, Wish upon a star, terminal ill children, poor families that has lost there home. fire fighters have always stepped up to help people. At least they did when I was involved.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Got some pics.

This is what I saw from my vehicle. Don't tell me they don't look "unofficial".

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks for posting this. I'll be honest, I was expecting this thread to be a (no pun intended) flame on the FD... I'm glad to see that it remained civil and that you got your answer. I'm also glad you posted pictures. In the absence of a truck or the "voluntary checkpoint" signs I've typically seen with the "Fill The Boot" campaign for MD, and with the woman wearing jeans, I would possibly have been suspicious also.

Admittedly, the boots, turnout pants and coat and helmet do not come cheap unless they are stolen, which is always a possibility. You did good reporting them because as indicated, if they're legit, all is well, but if not, they needed caught.

Thanks again for keeping things honest and equally so for keeping them civil.

Blessings,
    Bill

Well I feel bad for calling the cops on them now. One would have thought the police would have said they were legit, as your supposed to have a permit to do anything like that in Bloomington. However, it just didn't look right, the way thye presented themselves, the lack of proper identification, and where it was at. That intersection is a hot spot for the beggars that jump out of the vans for their shift with the cardboard sign. To think they were going to an all time low pretending to be firemen didn't set well with me, so I called them in. I'm pretty sure we have hashed the topic of sign beggars here but I have witnessed them "change shifts", hop in a van full, and relocate to another part of town

Got some pics.

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have seen it many times, but I have to say, something just does not look right about these two. Normally there are four to six of them out at a time. Looks like they only had one outfit and was sharing it between them.

Got some pics.

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've seen this before, once in Gary on Burr, and once in Cedar Lake on 41. I'm sure if they weren't legit, it wouldn't last long.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I couldn't read the signs as they were written with magic marker, and small lettering. Another red flag.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP, I totally understand your skepticism now...

When I lived at home in Crawfordsville, you KNEW it was the FD. They all had their "EMT pants" and dept. Tshirts on. Plus the fire truck parked nearby for the kids to look at.

-J-

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    If you want to get someones nose out of joint? Go get fancy hand painted signs and stand like these folks did. People wander why you are wasting tax payer dollars on fancy signs. Been there done that. Even tho the fancy signs came out of my pocket. There fore the signs are better if it is simple. Most fire fighters will tell you to keep it simple. Or that is the way it used to be.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Clear violation of federal law/regulations?

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
    Federal Highway Administration
    23 CFR Part 634
    [FHWA Docket No. FHWA–2005–23200]
    RIN 2125–AF11
    Worker Visibility
    AGENCY: Federal Highway
    Administration (FHWA), DOT.
    ACTION: Final rule

NVFC :: News - Federal Safety Vest Requirement in Effect as of November 24

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...y-law_hi-vis_yellow_vests_on_the_highway.html

On November 24, 2008, a provision in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control (MUTCD), administered by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), went into effect requiring public safety officers, including volunteer firefighters and EMS personnel responding to an incident in the right-of-way of a federal aid highway, to wear a safety vest that meets the Performance Class II or III requirements of the American National Standards Institute/International Safety Equipment Association (ANSI/ISEA) 107-2004 publication.

Oh, I understand and support the desire to collect for causes. Just sayin' be careful out there.

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds like a scam. If it were an official event then there would have been fire apparatus and in full uniform and not in turnout gear...just doesnt sound right

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I just came through Salem, IN and they had two firemen positioned on the square, however this time was a much different scene. They had large a-frame signs identifying themselves, as well as a firetruck stationed next to each one of them. It was very clear they were accepting donations for charity, unlike the two people I saw in Bloomington.

Top Bottom