The fire department is begging in the middle of the intersections now???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    So I was driving near the mall area today and I saw on one side of the intersection of 3rd & College Mall Rd a woman wearing a firefighter jacket (the tan ones with the reflective bars) holding a fireman boot with a homemade paper sign which was illegible. On the opposite side of the intersection, was a man wearing the firefighter pants, with a fireman boot and homemade paper sign attached to it. The man had a helmet laying on the ground next to his feet.

I thought I had witnessed a new low to the street corner beggars.

First thought was that the fire department would not have it's members stand on the island in the middle of a busy city street/highway intersection holding their "boots" out for money from cars stopped at the light.

I called the city police department dispatch and explained to them what I witnessed. They said they would send someone over immediately.

1/2 hour later, they are still there "collecting", so evidently, they must not be doing any wrong.

Any firefighters want to chime in on this?

It was absolutely nothing that looked official. No buckets, no visible signage, no nothing. Looked like a scam to me.

I took a couple of pictures, but I don't have time to upload them right now. I can do it later if anyone wants to see.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't get out much?

Firefighters have been raising money for all kinds of CHARITIES like this for YEARS.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    They usually do this to raise money for Jerry Kids (childern with muscular dystrophy), most all firefighting precints pass the boot for this charity.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Around here, the local fire department does that on Memorial Weekend to raise money for the Jerry Lewis Telethon. Either your folk are getting a head start or some clever lowlife has mimicked this for their own "fund raising".

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    I've seen this at many different spots throughout the years as well. I saw some Sunday at the intersection of Hwy 3 and Hwy 256 in Scott County. I have never seen it in Bton though.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I have never seen it done that way in a all my 40 years.

And I am out and about every day.

One might think they would appear more "official", since they are official?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    They do it here on the south side about once a year or so (from what I have seen).... different charities if I remember right. I have no problem with it. Tends to be a few of them in uniform or at least the pants and IFD shirts ect ect.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    They do it in Kokomo, Jerry's Kids, etc..
    Usually get a little sticker for making a donation in the boot.

Official looking is a FD shirt and rubber pants with suspenders standing in traffic.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I've seen them doing it at the same intersection you're talking about. Though I did not see them before or after my lunch at Moe's today!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Common in Indy. I'd rather see them than the Black Muslims selling hate papers and incense holding up traffic. Hope that statement doesn't break any rules.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Several years ago, the local PD lost a bet with the FD and had to stand at strategic locations throughout town dressed as women, soliciting money for a good cause [which one I don't remember] dress, panty hose and all. I happened to pull up by one and recognized the guy and started to make a wise ass comment when I heard, "keep your mouth shut, put some money in the bucket and leave"! Last I heard, they collected a bunch of money, and a few off color comments as tips.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Well I feel bad for calling the cops on them now. One would have thought the police would have said they were legit, as your supposed to have a permit to do anything like that in Bloomington. However, it just didn't look right, the way thye presented themselves, the lack of proper identification, and where it was at. That intersection is a hot spot for the beggars that jump out of the vans for their shift with the cardboard sign. To think they were going to an all time low pretending to be firemen didn't set well with me, so I called them in. I'm pretty sure we have hashed the topic of sign beggars here but I have witnessed them "change shifts", hop in a van full, and relocate to another part of town

Top Bottom