• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Indiana residents killed everything big enough to shoot with a musket or repeating 30-30 rifle in about 50 years after first setting foot in the state.

cougars, bobcats, bears, deer, elk, bison, etc.

I doubt hogs ever make it here.

They'll make it if the DNR restricts us to handgun loads and slug guns :/
    I don't even know the DNR's stance on the issue, but if they are like coyotes (any calibre/guage, all yr. long on private land) then we might put a dent in their numbers... and some bacon on the table

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    I received this email from the DNR today:

Wild hogs pose environmental threat; following the law will help control them

In order to help control and reduce environmentally destructive wild hog populations in Indiana, regulations were passed by the Indiana Natural Resource Commission in November 2010. The regulations include the following:

• It is illegal for a person to import or possess a live wild hog in Indiana, except under stringent exemptions.
    • Resident landowners or other individuals with written permission can take (capture or shoot) wild hogs on the landowner’s property at any time without a permit.
    • The regulation removes the ability for giving economic or any other type of compensation for providing recreational opportunities to hunt wild hogs and requires captured wild hogs to be killed immediately or transported, in a container of sufficient strength preventing escape, to where they will be killed immediately.

“Wild hogs” are called many different names such as wild pigs, wild boar or feral pigs. The names all refer to non-native swine and various hybrids that have either been illegally released or were formerly domestic pigs that were allowed to become feral. They pose problems in many states, including Indiana.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources, in cooperation with the USDA-APHIS Wildlife Services and the Indiana State Board of Animal Health (BOAH), is working with landowners impacted by wild hogs by providing technical information to control wild hog populations.

The DNR, BOAH, and USDA-APHIS Wildlife Services; however, as policy, do not provide information on where to hunt wild hogs in Indiana. This practice is part of the DNR’s cooperative work with landowners.
    To help control this environmental threat, if you see feral or wild hogs, report the approximate location and number of hogs observed by contacting one of the following:

• USDA-APHIS Wildlife Services, (765) 404-0382; joe.n.caudell@aphis.usda.gov
    • DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife, dfw@dnr.IN.gov
    • BOAH at (877) 747-3038; animalhealth@boah.IN.gov
    • Individuals observing the illegal possession, importation, or release of wild hogs should contact DNR Law Enforcement at 1-800-TIP-IDNR.

Wild hogs cause extensive damage to agricultural crops, are a source of disease for domestic livestock, and will prey on young livestock and small animals. Wild hogs may carry a number of diseases that can also infect people, and contaminate human food sources and water supplies. Wild hogs have also been known to destroyed residential lawns, landscaping, golf courses, and rural cemeteries.

Wild hogs also threaten native wildlife and their habitats.

• They eat the eggs and young of ground nesting animals, including many songbirds, quail, wild turkey, and rabbits.
    • They destroy wetlands and water resources, including amphibian and reptile habitat.
    • Their habit of rooting causes serious damage to habitat management practices to develop nesting cover and annual food plots.
    • Their rooting and wallowing destroys native plants, flowers, and mushrooms.

A coordinated effort will help control this environmental threat.

More information: Steve Backs, DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife, (812) 849-4586, sbacks@dnr.in.gov.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Finally a rationalization for Thunder Rifle's helicopter class!

The Australian shooter better get squared away on his reloads. He looks like a pudknocker and Clint won't like that!:D

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    it seems to me that if wild hogs are such a problem in southern states they shouldn't charge an arm and a leg for out of state tags IMO. from what i've heard they are EXCELLENT at adapting and even thriving in new environments. although i don't want to see them pose a threat to native species/habitats i have to admit i'd like to hunt them locally(affordably).

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There are wild hogs in southern Indiana. The numbers aren't extreme but they are there. I haven't been able to take any myself unfortunately. If you want to hunt them in another state, such as Oklahoma, there is no tag to buy. You just need to find a rancher willing to have you.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thought guns are illegal in Australia? Must be a government hunter.

No. Despite the hysteria of 15 years ago, guns are not illegal in Australia.

Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it seems to me that if wild hogs are such a problem in southern states they shouldn't charge an arm and a leg for out of state tags IMO.

You had just nailed it.

When I first started going to Texas in the mid-90s, the Texans would whine about feral hogs. I innocently asked "why not just shoot them?"

The Texas looked at me like I just flew in from Neptune. They explained that you had to get the landowners' permission and the ranchers were not giving it.

If feral hogs really were a problem then permission would have been freely given otherwise it is just more hysteria like "summer of the shark" ten years ago.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    No. Despite the hysteria of 15 years ago, guns are not illegal in Australia.

Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You had just nailed it.

When I first started going to Texas in the mid-90s, the Texans would whine about feral hogs. I innocently asked "why not just shoot them?"

The Texas looked at me like I just flew in from Neptune. They explained that you had to get the landowners' permission and the ranchers were not giving it.

If feral hogs really were a problem then permission would have been freely given otherwise it is just more hysteria like "summer of the shark" ten years ago.

You mean that summer with one of the lowest number of shark attacks in recent history :rolleyes: that was such a charade.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Pretty amazing video out of Australia. They answer some questions I had at the end...

yeah baby, get some! get some!

any pig that runs, is a feral hog; any pig that stands there, is a well-trained feral hog.

-have you ever shot a sow or piglet?

sometimes.

-how can you shoot sows and piglets?

easy, you don't lead them as much.

neat vid.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You had just nailed it.

Actually getting permission is not that hard. A person just has to be willing to pay. "Hey I have this problem, but the hunting is great so you owe me ....." Really not any different then Deer in Indiana or Pheasent in the Dakotas. I do understand property rights and I am not suggesting the farmers/ranchers are doing anything wrong. But I do wish that more of them would work with responsible sportsman to manage animal populations.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I understand that these hogs need to be controlled but, I saw several in this film that appeared to have been wounded and then passed over to suffer! I was raised and I taught my sons and we teach this in 4H Shooting Sports that you never take a shot unless it is a clean one and then if you wound your animal you end it as quickly as possible!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Actually getting permission is not that hard. A person just has to be willing to pay. "Hey I have this problem, but the hunting is great so you owe me ....." Really not any different then Deer in Indiana or Pheasent in the Dakotas. I do understand property rights and I am not suggesting the farmers/ranchers are doing anything wrong. But I do wish that more of them would work with responsible sportsman to manage animal populations.

The way I took it in some of the emails I've seen and articles I've read, is that in a lot of instances, irresponsible hunters have caused more/worse damage than the feral hogs.

Maybe if we can get the word out in our respective areas to anyone that asks where to hunt, or who to let hunt, either more hunters might be responsible, or more landowners might carefully chose decent hunters and we can start working on this negative image...

:dunno:

Top Bottom