• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    Anyone have a feral hog problem that they need taken care of in southern indiana? i would love to help take care of them for you! :biggun:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hmm...Bacon!

Have heard stories about Feral Pigs in South Central Indiana. I have not personally seen any yet.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I have been asking relatives and family down there to let me know if they see or hear about any feral hog problems. I told them i would be willing to make the drive down and help them out

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Everyone talks about the pig problem. Going up in North Texas, as I was in high school (mid 90's) it was beginning to become a real issue, now they have traveled further north.

My question is this, How far can they travel and not have problems surviving the climate? Sure grown hogs could probably do it, however piglets couldn't do it... IMO.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Can't answer that question directly but my understanding is that pigs are pretty hardy and adapt well. Think Russian Boar. If they can survive there then North America should not be a problem.

I originally thought zombies would get us in 2012. Now I know the truth. We are going to be overrun with hogs. Better stock up on rifle shells, beer, charcoal, and barbecue sauce.

Everyone talks about the pig problem. Going up in North Texas, as I was in high school (mid 90's) it was beginning to become a real issue, now they have traveled further north.

My question is this, How far can they travel and not have problems surviving the climate? Sure grown hogs could probably do it, however piglets couldn't do it... IMO.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    the article says they are in michigan, how did they get to michigan if we dont have them in northern indiana?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Indiana residents killed everything big enough to shoot with a musket or repeating 30-30 rifle in about 50 years after first setting foot in the state.

cougars, bobcats, bears, deer, elk, bison, etc.

I doubt hogs ever make it here.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The best way to keep hogs away from Indiana is to offer to go hunting and help take them out. Everytime I hear people start yacking about how bad hogs are getting they make it sound like crowds of farmers are crying for help. Then after offering to go hunt them for free all I hear are the sounds of crickets.

I was under the impression that the hogs in michigan started to populate because they had escaped and gone feral, but the ones coming up from the south have been wild and spreading for years.

Either way, I'd love to keep my fridge full with some kind of wild/cheap meat. Farmers are getting a little too picky about who they let hunt on their land for deer.

Ronn38

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    I originally thought zombies would get us in 2012. Now I know the truth. We are going to be overrun with hogs. Better stock up on rifle shells, beer, charcoal, and barbecue sauce.

Zombie hogs--don't think it ain't comin' !!!!!:ar15:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The best way to keep hogs away from Indiana is to offer to go hunting and help take them out. Everytime I hear people start yacking about how bad hogs are getting they make it sound like crowds of farmers are crying for help. Then after offering to go hunt them for free all I hear are the sounds of crickets.

I was under the impression that the hogs in michigan started to populate because they had escaped and gone feral, but the ones coming up from the south have been wild and spreading for years.

Either way, I'd love to keep my fridge full with some kind of wild/cheap meat. Farmers are getting a little too picky about who they let hunt on their land for deer.

This,

I am not going pay to hunt a pest. If it is a huge problem then offer some free hunting. There are ways to protect the landowner legally and with proper vetting of the hunters.

Top Bottom