• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Good luck trying to fill those spots while not causing more economic harm. Either way I don't believe it will ever come down to them touching our retirement.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Good luck trying to fill those spots while not causing more economic harm. Either way I don't believe it will ever come down to them touching our retirement.

Wait another 5-10 years. There are a lot of people from the baby boom still working, as soon as they start cashing out retirement investment accounts in significant quantity the government well step in and stop it to "prevent a stock market crash"

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Wait another 5-10 years. There are a lot of people from the baby boom still working, as soon as they start cashing out retirement investment accounts in significant quantity the government well step in and stop it to "prevent a stock market crash"

After all, it's "not fair" that you have more money to retire on than your neighbor...

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    yep. 2 years ago. paid penalties and Taxes and bought all hard assets. 401K and a Simple IRA cashed out both. Wife completely on board.

Did the same thing in September 2008 when unemployment was climbing almost as fast as the market. Didn't make sense so we bailed and have had no regrets.:tumbleweed:

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I

Agreed. I'm at the tail end of the Boomers. I don't see people behind me investing like I used to before cashing out. Older Boomers taking their distributions with less investment coming in = accelerated devaluation of investments = panic. Higher taxes added on to continue enabling our spending problem will only add fuel to the fire. Gold and lead will see us through.:popcorn:

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    FactCheck.org : IRAs, 401(k)s and You

Wrong again.
    Stop posting junk from agenda-driven websites.

I don't know if I've ever called anyone out like this before on here, but there is a first time for everything.

How about YOU stop posting junk from an agenda-driven website?

There have been multiple talks from so-called leaders in washington about taking over 401ks. No they aren't going to confiscate them they are going to protect them for you, so you don't have to worry about the evil capitalist marks going down. They want to take them and stick it all in special treasury bonds or some other gimmick just like social security.

Do a little research before you try to call someone out.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    And as a second note - your fact check link is over four years, I'm sure nothing happened over the past four years to change anything.

Besides, all they did is weasel around it calling 'confiscation' noone is confiscating it, just wanting to put it in special new accounts. Ugh. Go home.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

They can't with railroad retirement because I don't pay social security taxes anymore. After my taxes are taken out I pay roughly 12% into our retirement of my own spending money.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They can't with railroad retirement because I don't pay social security taxes anymore. After my taxes are taken out I pay roughly 12% into our retirement of my own spending money.

Five years ago we would have all agreed that the government could not commandeer a private corporation and redistribute its assets in flagrant violation of rights of ownership and bankruptcy law.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

With the recent SCOTUS decision on Obamacare combined with its previous decisions regarding congress and the commerce clause, there is virtually nothing outside the reach of our .gov's legislative desires.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    And as a second note - your fact check link is over four years, I'm sure nothing happened over the past four years to change anything.

Besides, all they did is weasel around it calling 'confiscation' noone is confiscating it, just wanting to put it in special new accounts. Ugh. Go home.

Hmmm. I believe this original story in the first post has quotes taken from 2007. Guess it's gonna happen any day now. Lol.

As as for you JTScribe....
    So it's guilt by association?
    And Annenburg does not equal Ayers. Nice try.
    The Annenberg Foundation is a private foundation that provides funding and support to non-profit organizations in the United States and around the world, like PBS.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Hmmm. I believe this original story in the first post has quotes taken from 2007. Guess it's gonna happen any day now. Lol.

As as for you JTScribe....
    So it's guilt by association?
    And Annenburg does not equal Ayers. Nice try.
    The Annenberg Foundation is a private foundation that provides funding and support to non-profit organizations in the United States and around the world, like PBS.

So when the assistant labor secretary and assistant treasury secretary publicly ask for feedback on converting 401ks and IRAs to treasuries, there is nothing to be concerned about?

Or Joe Biden floating the idea of a GRA Guaranteed retirement account that would transfer 401k holdings into, there is nothing to worry about?

Or SEIU who is one of the larger political voices in this country advocates nationalizing 401ks to help fund union and public sector pensions, there is nothing to worry about?

No seriously, you are a pretty good troll but you will have to try harder to derail the conversation happening here.

Sticks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    NE Indy
    You have to pay the 15% "penalty", plus have the amount to your taxable income at the end of the year. I'm no financial whiz but I think that pretty much wipes out your matching contributions! As always the working guy gets the shaft no matter what he does.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    You have to pay the 15% "penalty", plus have the amount to your taxable income at the end of the year. I'm no financial whiz but I think that pretty much wipes out your matching contributions! As always the working guy gets the shaft no matter what he does.

This. I did the math and with 5.5 years of contributions with a decent company match, if I pulled it out now my penalties would be almost equal to the company match + gains. Essentially it would have been a large 0 interest savings account. What a mess.

Top Bottom