I only take out zombies with this

31hfmtc1GFL._SL500_AA300

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    btw: The Chinese don't shoot AR's. Go for a ChiCom shooter. There will be plenty of ammo laying around to resupply with.

They do have a QBZ (their standard rifle) that does shoot the 5.56 NATO, so its possible. I have no idea as to how often they actually issue it, but they do exist.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    AK because I may start off on foot, but I sure as heck am not walking 150 miles through Chinese soldiers and zombies. I would look for a nice dirt bike along the way.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I don't know the AR platform, so I'd have to pick the AK just from sheer familiarity. My gut says to grab the AR and learn it as I go.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I think I would go with the AK. For one, I don't claim to be the best shot, nor the most experienced shooter, so long distance shooting is a non factor for me. I would want something that would run reliably and inflict the most damage at 100 yards or less. just look at the two rounds side by side, which one do you think would cause more damage?
    l.jpg

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I chose the AK 5.45x39. I'm not sure if the Chinese are using a compatible round or not, but the AK is reliable and the smaller AK cartridge is as effective as the 5.56x45 and weighs less than the 7.62x39. Good point about the larger cartridge's penetration capabilities, though.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Carrying 1000 rnds of anything is tough. I'll go with the ar... brass cases light, bullet.
    Only head shots count on zombies....I only want long shots on chi-coms!

schoolmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    I pick the AR. I am most familar with the AR and know what its capabilities are. If I need a Chinese weapon one could be acquired. Now all that foot travel might be another story.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I chose the AK in 5.45x39. Some of my reasons are, the inherent reliability of the AK compared over the AR since it can take more dirt and abuse than the AR and still keep ticking. Plus the AR you listed would be a DPMS 20" rifle with it being an A2, you guys didn't realize that did you? For one I don't trust DPMS, for two I'd rather have the shorter rifle than a longer one for up close encounters. And I chose the 5.45 for lighter ammo than the 7.62, and yet more accuracy cause they normally have thicker barrells and are more accurate.

But then once I'd get home I'd have my 16" AR and use the AK for backup duty. :D

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I chose the AK in 5.45x39. Some of my reasons are, the inherent reliability of the AK compared over the AR since it can take more dirt and abuse than the AR and still keep ticking. Plus the AR you listed would be a DPMS 20" rifle with it being an A2, you guys didn't realize that did you? For one I don't trust DPMS, for two I'd rather have the shorter rifle than a longer one for up close encounters. And I chose the 5.45 for lighter ammo than the 7.62, and yet more accuracy cause they normally have thicker barrells and are more accurate.

But then once I'd get home I'd have my 16" AR and use the AK for backup duty. :D

very good point i missed the DPMS info on this, that would make me think twice for sure. i do like to buy american tho :D

jake

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I think I would go with the AK. For one, I don't claim to be the best shot, nor the most experienced shooter, so long distance shooting is a non factor for me. I would want something that would run reliably and inflict the most damage at 100 yards or less. just look at the two rounds side by side, which one do you think would cause more damage?
    l.jpg

Unfortunately in this case, the way the two cartridges look is very deceiving.

The 5.56x45mm causes a lot more trauma due to the violent fragmentation & bullet yawing, where as the 7.62x39mm literally goes in one side & out the other, punching a straight line hole.

The 5.45x39mm acts very similar to the 5.56x45mm, but in my experience it is not as reliable as the 5.56x45mm is w/regards to terminal performance.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    I'd go with the 7.62x39 for the better knock down power at 100yds or less. And with the chinese comming, better chance for more ammo and mags. Plus zombie head shots with AK is cooler.

Top Bottom