Ryan 0%

MonmouthPoll 4/11-15

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Cindy McCain now says, seemingly denying the story, that their family has no interest in getting involved in politics.

Also, Cory Booker says he will have a "woman running mate". Must have a binder somewhere.

Finally, CNN's question to Pete about his "back-and-forth" with Pence is such a fake story. It's 100% forth, there's been no back. Pete talks ****, and everyone frames it like Pence actually gave him the time of day to respond.

Maybe Pete can have an empty chair stand in for Pence on stage? Too soon?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    2020 National Democratic Primary:
    Biden 27%
    Sanders 20%
    Buttigieg 8%
    Harris 8%
    Warren 6%
    O'Rourke 4%
    Booker 2%
    Hickenlooper 2%
    Klobuchar 1%
    de Blasio 1%
    Castro 0%
    Gillibrand 0%
    Inslee 0%
    McAuliffe 0%
    Messam 0%
    Moulton 0%
    Swalwell 0%
    Williamson 0%
    Yang 0%
    Bennet 0%
    Bullock 0%
    Delaney 0%
    Gabbard 0%
    Ryan 0%

MonmouthPoll 4/11-15

I wish we had someone on here with some political experience. I'm sure the answer is money, but I would like to know why someone with zero percent chance of winning actually goes through with the process.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wish we had someone on here with some political experience. I'm sure the answer is money, but I would like to know why someone with zero percent chance of winning actually goes through with the process.

I think Oprah is picking the candidates for them. "YOU'RE a candidate, and YOU'RE a candidate, and YOU'RE a candidate! EVERYBODY's a candidate!" :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think it depends. It’s not all the same reason. It’s more recognition for some. Maybe money. Self importance. Name recognition for future ambitions. In the case of Yang, he seems to be a one trick pony. Income inequality due to displacement of jobs from AI. Buttplug? Future ambitions. I don’t think he seriously thinks he’ll be president. But Congressman, US Senator, Governor? Having this kind of press let’s him skip more stepping stones.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

There are many reasons. I'm sure I don't know them all.
    1. Think they just aren't known well enough yet and as soon as the people know them, they will love the candidate. In other words, pure ego.
    2. Looking to raise their visibility, often for a higher office. For example, Buttigieg has already gained visibility and may decide to run for Indiana governor.
    3. Know that they are unlikely to become president, but looking to be seen as good VP material. Given the dynamics of the Democrat primary, assuming one of the current white male poll leaders wins the nomination, they would pretty much have to pick a female/black VP.
    4. As above, but looking for cabinet, ambassador or other major political position.
    5. Aren't expecting to win, but looking to push one or two issues. Swalwell (anti-gun) and Gabbard (anti-war) are possible examples.
    6. Raise visibility to transition to writing books, hosting TV shows, etc. Sanders is now a millionaire due to book sales.
    7. Opens up opportunities outside of politics.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Seems like the best case scenario.

Hopefully he gets the moderate Dem support/money to keep the crazies down, and wins the D primary. I'd feel much more comfortable with a Biden candidate than a Harris/Buttigeig/Sanders... though some could make the argument that those might be easier to beat.

After seeing how far people are willing to go to take someone down... Kavanaugh-type stuff... I'd rather not risk it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The "right" already digging up 40+ year old stuff on Biden, implying he's racist/sexist/homophobe/etc.

SJWs exist on both sides, apparently. Lazy label crap.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The "right" already digging up 40+ year old stuff on Biden, implying he's racist/sexist/homophobe/etc.

SJWs exist on both sides, apparently. Lazy label crap.

I believe that is called "being hoisted on one's own petard". Biden will get no sympathy for me now that he's experiencing what he has long helped to promote.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I believe that is called "being hoisted on one's own petard". Biden will get no sympathy for me now that he's experiencing what he has long helped to promote.

tenor.gif

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    While I don't have a lot of sympathy for debtors in general, it is a bit of a concern that it is almost impossible for a debtor to discharge student loan debt in the bankruptcy process. Perhaps a 10 year initial bankruptcy exclusion period would make sense, but after that (or at some point) a student lender ought to be subject to market forces like any other banker.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    While I don't have a lot of sympathy for debtors in general, it is a bit of a concern that it is almost impossible for a debtor to discharge student loan debt in the bankruptcy process. Perhaps a 10 year initial bankruptcy exclusion period would make sense, but after that (or at some point) a student lender ought to be subject to market forces like any other banker.

My understanding is that .gov took over all student lending programs, under Obama. I don't know the details.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I know one thing. I’m getting sick of hearing the phrase “our values”

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom