The "D" word came up at a work planning meeting today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Economic Depression and how we can stay in business.

6 to 9 months of deflation then inflation and high interest rates. Blame all that money the feds are printing and banks not lending. 2011 looks very bad for the economy...

We are planning for lean times at work.....

Enjoy your weekend!!!

shftn6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    NW Monroe Co.
    I have deep concerns about this as well. I subscribe to three different economic forecasting newsletters. I spend some serious $ trying to be informed on what's over the economic horizon. Two say the recession is over, but it will be a long slow slog back to economic health. The third says the coming Depression will be THE defining economic event of our lifetimes!

Hard to know who to believe - you read opposing opinions and try to sift out what makes sense to you. Put simply, I don't see how our government can continue down their present economic path of huge deficits, overspending, and wasting billions without very serious repercussions.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I wish everyone would wake up and realize that our country and our way of life is on the fast track to disaster. It's common sense...you can't keep printing money with nothing behind it and spend it like there's an unlimited supply.

I too have been monitoring our economic outlook for the past couple of years which is truly why I started thinking about SHTF scenarios and getting my family and myself prepared for what I am sad to say is at this point the inevitable fallout from the poor decisions our elected officials have made.

My :twocents:'s.

JD

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    I wish everyone would wake up and realize that our country and our way of life is on the fast track to disaster. It's common sense...you can't keep printing money with nothing behind it and spend it like there's an unlimited supply.

I too have been monitoring our economic outlook for the past couple of years which is truly why I started thinking about SHTF scenarios and getting my family and myself prepared for what I am sad to say is at this point the inevitable fallout from the poor decisions our elected officials have made.

My :twocents:'s.

JD
    Hit the nail on the head.
    :yesway:

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Buy american, it keeps/creates jobs. Sometimes its hard or darn near impossible but try as much as you can.

sonrider657

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    I have already cashed out my entire (though small) 401k as I am very confident that the dollar will be worthless if/when I reach retirement age. I also figured that the 10% tax penalty for early withdrawal is less than the tax inceases that will be coming to pay for all of our nation's debt.

I would rather have a couple gold coins under the mattress than loads of investments denominated in dollars.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Buy American, it keeps/creates jobs. Sometimes its hard or darn near impossible but try as much as you can.

While that would be one of the things you would think could benefit our economy, I truly believe the consumer doesn't have much to do with where the economy is headed. It is the government that has made it impossible for US made products able to compete in this current market. When times are tough, people try to get the most out of their dollar, and if that means buying items that are shipped from overseas, then that is simply being a smart consumer. The government has taxed our industry out of business or has driven them to move out of country to profit. I don't blame them one bit. I simply refuse to pay more for an item because it is made in the US. I will however, pay a bit more for a quality product, and that is not always a "made in the USA" one.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    +1

You need to stretch your dollar as far as you can. Like it or not, it's a global economy. Until the US government decides that humans are more important than a two inch long fish, that nuclear power is not of the devil, and that wind and solar had their chance but lost to more evolved energy providers, we will be held hostage by global tweakers.

While that would be one of the things you would think could benefit our economy, I truly believe the consumer doesn't have much to do with where the economy is headed. It is the government that has made it impossible for US made products able to compete in this current market. When times are tough, people try to get the most out of their dollar, and if that means buying items that are shipped from overseas, then that is simply being a smart consumer. The government has taxed our industry out of business or has driven them to move out of country to profit. I don't blame them one bit. I simply refuse to pay more for an item because it is made in the US. I will however, pay a bit more for a quality product, and that is not always a "made in the USA" one.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    "Old Fart" here

Well, my habit of storing and rotating food, water, ammo, fuel is going to come into its own now, I suppose. Y2K gave me the idea, and the first Y2K-minus-one was my confidence that NO-ONE knows ships from shinola on the topic of surviving. (Y2K was NOT the year 2000.) For a long time I've "bought low, sold high", buy at "fire-sale," sell into "panic". And now that is a stark reminder that some folks will NEVER catch on. I've said it here before (research my thread-posts) and some of you listened. I am still selling 7.62x39 (my favorite, for long-gun or pistol) that I bought when it was $20 per Jerry-can full. I still have some Plastic-tricked-out SKSs and AK-look-alikes, bought in "peace-times" and now selling / bartering into the "Øbama panic". I'llonly sell ammo if the buyer buys a gun. Why not? It works. Some new gun-releases and designs have made me consider even poaching-off some gold or silver to buy those, because the BATFU probably will put a thumb in the eye of the makers. They'll then actually be worth more than I paid for the metals. My "401-k" is "24-K" ! I still have the same philosophy: always think SHTF scenario; reduce caliber and die sizes to as few as possible; wait until your culls are selling for more than you paid (if you were wise); and keep your mouth shut, ears open, and powder dry. It won't be easy, but always try to have $1000 in your pocket to snatch up bargains. Pat

Last edited:
    Top Bottom