Not open for further replies.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    1. That must mean if you don't have a holster, your gun in on a bench in its box till you are told to get into the low-ready position?

When you are called to shoot, take the unloaded pistol to the firing line/box in a case of any type. When you are told to "make ready", remove the pistol (make sure your case is oriented so the muzzle is pointed down range) from the case, lay out however many extra loaded mags you need (you will be shooting 3 strings), put a loaded mag in the pistol and chamber a round. Follow the range rules you are at as to whether you lower the hammer, use the safety etc.

When you are ready to go raise the pistol to the low ready position (it will be pointed down at an angle aimed at the ground ~10'-15' in front of you) and wait for the next command which should be your range officer asking if the shooter is ready. Say no if you're not ready or nod your head or do nothing to indicate you are ready. The RO will activate the shot timer and when it beeps, take aim and commence firing.

Pay close attention to the safety meeting prior to the match and 'course of fire' directions at each stage. Make sure your RO knows it is your first time. Everyone is usually very helpful.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    1. That must mean if you don't have a holster, your gun in on a bench in its box till you are told to get into the low-ready position?
    It's just a matter of following the range officers commands. FNS operates as a "cold range". That means no gun handling unless instructed to do so, and all weapons are unloaded. The commands are the same, whether your gun is holstered or bagged.
    While on the firing line, they will tell you to "make ready". This allows you to touch your weapon. You can unholster/unbag it, aim it, turn on the optic, and load it. When the range officer thinks you are loaded and ready, he will say, "shooter ready?". If you are ready, no response is needed. The next sound will be a beep from the timer. Start shooting the previously explained course of fire. When complete you will go back to a low ready unless instructed otherwise. You will repeat this two more times.
    After the third time, the RO will tell you to, "show clear" . You'll remove the mag, lock the action back, show him your clear, then he will tell you, "hammer down". You'll release the slide and pull the trigger. It should go click. If it goes bang, your night is over.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When you are called to shoot, take the unloaded pistol to the firing line/box in a case of any type.

1. Unless it is in a holster, obviously.

When you are told to "make ready", remove the pistol (make sure your case is oriented so the muzzle is pointed down range) from the case,

2. I learned that when Rhino gave me a range training session (thank-you Rhino: I never forgot!).

lay out however many extra loaded mags you need (you will be shooting 3 strings),

3. So, as long as I have 3 mags (the Shadow comes with that & my Bersa comes with 4 or 5 mags), I'm good.

put a loaded mag in the pistol and chamber a round. Follow the range rules you are at as to whether you lower the hammer, use the safety etc.

4. I would always have my safety on unless told not to before shooting.

When you are ready to go raise the pistol to the low ready position (it will be pointed down at an angle aimed at the ground ~10'-15' in front of you) and wait for the next command which should be your range officer asking if the shooter is ready. Say no if you're not ready or nod your head or do nothing to indicate you are ready. The RO will activate the shot timer and when it beeps, take aim and commence firing.

5. Truly sounds exciting! I wish I didn't need to wait to summer to participate!
    6. I already have meetings M - Th next week after work, though: life is just too busy right now. When I was talking to Coach about my availability next week I forgot about the meeting on Thursday! I just can't be up on my feet from 5 am to 9:30 pm anymore.
    :fogey:

Pay close attention to the safety meeting prior to the match and 'course of fire' directions at each stage. Make sure your RO knows it is your first time. Everyone is usually very helpful.

6. I'm sure they enjoy a newbie's first time since it will remind them of their novice mistakes that I will be making. :)
    7. I don't mind at all: the experience will be a teacher of things that can not be learned at the range with paper targets and no time.
    8. Thanks, gmttr for taking the time!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's just a matter of following the range officers commands. FNS operates as a "cold range". That means no gun handling unless instructed to do so, and all weapons are unloaded. The commands are the same, whether your gun is holstered or bagged.
    While on the firing line, they will tell you to "make ready". This allows you to touch your weapon. You can unholster/unbag it, aim it, turn on the optic, and load it. When the range officer thinks you are loaded and ready, he will say, "shooter ready?". If you are ready, no response is needed. The next sound will be a beep from the timer. Start shooting the previously explained course of fire. When complete you will go back to a low ready unless instructed otherwise. You will repeat this two more times.
    After the third time, the RO will tell you to, "show clear" . You'll remove the mag, lock the action back, show him your clear, then he will tell you, "hammer down". You'll release the slide and pull the trigger. It should go click. If it goes bang, your night is over.

1. Appreciate the detail, the "heads-up" insight as to expectations: education is power! (I am a teacher so I had to say that!).
    But, by even rehearsing it in your mind over and over again is a good thing to do, even practicing at home the steps where noone can see you.
    :dunno:
    2. Your last statement gave me the shivers! I hope you know I would never be capable of such neglect. Even when I go to the kitchen where my wife is to take a pic of a gun, I pull back the slide and take out the magazine to show her it's empty: she knows the routine and knows I will always do it just for that 1 in a million chance of accidental discharge with a gun you had thought was unloaded.
    3. It's one of the reasons why I love a safety or decocker (I love it when they are combined: I've had guns like that).

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...3. So, as long as I have 3 mags (the Shadow comes with that & my Bersa comes with 4 or 5 mags), I'm good...

You will have 5-6 targets to hit plus any misses (and we all miss some) and will repeat this 3 times without being able to reload empty mags.

At my range on Monday night steel we are allowed to reload mags while others shoot. Have extra mags in case something happens and you don't have time to reload before the next stage.

I have been shooting in production class which limits you to 10 rounds in a mag and sometimes we shoot 4 strings so I will go to the line with at least 5 mags. I have never used them all but I would not be comfortable without more extras than needed.

Also keep your mags and extra ammo in a bag separate from your cased pistol as you can not open the pistol bag at all unless you are given the 'make ready' command (unless you have left your squad and gone to the safety table where an empty gun may be handled).

Short version...buy some extra mags.

KJ may be better able to fill you in on the specifics of FNS at the range you are going to. I think I linked the FNS Rules in an earlier post for you.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Tell the Range officer it is your first time and you need help. They will cover all the info and walk you through it. You've got this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom