• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Alrighty folks, got my new Arken EP-5 5-25x56 scope the other day and spent the morning comparing it to my 5 other Arken scopes (SH-4 GenII 6-24x50). Here is an in-thread mini review for anyone who cares to read (gmcttr already stopped reading by this point....).

My initial comparison of the EP-5 vs SH-4.

Glass/image quality:
    EP-5 has a slightly improved image that is slightly sharper with better definition and brighter. This is very subjective and was with my eyes, looking out my back yard across a field at various distances out to over 1000 yards. I tried to get good pictures with my phone, but did not like the way they came out, so once the battery charges in my camera, I'll attempt better pictures later. Hopefully some at dusk to see if the glass is really improved.

Eyebox:
    I "think" the EP-5 might have a slightly better eyebox, but I need to get the scope mounted before making that call.

Illumination:
    Slight improvement with EP-5, enough to notice at least. Still not "daylight bright". So, it should be a little more useful.

Weight/Robustness:
    EP-5 feels like a tank, a very "robust" feeling and in my opinion "similar" to how a Razor feels, though I believe a Razor is still heavier. Weight on mine is 40.1 ounces w/battery installed. I feel like I could drive stakes in the ground with the damn thing :). Once I get an SH-4 removed from one of the rifles, I'll compare them in hand side by side. Looking at the objective ends of the scopes, the rim is drastically thicker on the EP-5. I don't know if the scope's body is thicker all the way throughout or not.

Turrets:
    Huge improvement with the EP-5, like night and day better (and I really like the SH-4 turrets). The 10 mil per revolution is nice. The EP-5 clicks are more audible and tighter feeling, I'll say more tactile because everyone loves that word it seems. The only downside I could see on the EP-5 is with the detents have closer spacing, it will be easier to over-adjust when dialing. On a slow easy going range day, that should easily avoidable. In competition or something with a faster pace?

Diopter adjustment:
    One of my biggest gripes about the SH-4, is how hard the diopter ring is to adjust, it's way too tight. The EP-5 does not have that issue and I would compare it how a Vortex diopter adjustment feels. Smooth, not too tight or loose.

Parallax Adjustment:
    EP-5 parallax adjustment has a rotation of 330 deg versus 300 deg on the SH-4. It also goes to 1000 (vs 500) and then infinity. The EP-5 seems to be more spread out about 200.

Internal travel (elevation and windage):
    EP-5 advertised elevation is 32 mil and windage is 16 mil.
    Mine measured 34.2 mil and 18.1 mil.

I also checked my SH-4 scopes (genII 6-24x50).
    SH-4 advertised elevation is 32 mil and windage is 10 mil.

A) 35.5 mil / 12.7 mil
    B) 35.6 mil / 12.7 mil
    C) 35.6 mil / 12.6 mil
    D) 35.6 mil / 12.8 mil
    E) 35.8 mil / 12.1 mil

2795970791.jpg

View attachment 179933

View attachment 179934

View attachment 179936

View attachment 179937

View attachment 179938

View attachment 179939
    Have you ever thought about being a hand model?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Alrighty folks, got my new Arken EP-5 5-25x56 scope the other day and spent the morning comparing it to my 5 other Arken scopes (SH-4 GenII 6-24x50). Here is an in-thread mini review for anyone who cares to read (gmcttr already stopped reading by this point....). TLDNR version...the EP-5 might/maybe/is sorta a slight bit better...maybe.

1. Glass/image quality:
    EP-5 has a slightly improved image that is slightly sharper with better definition and brighter. This is very subjective and was with my eyes, looking out my back yard across a field at various distances out to over 1000 yards. I tried to get good pictures with my phone, but did not like the way they came out, so once the battery charges in my camera, I'll attempt better pictures later. Hopefully some at dusk to see if the glass is really improved.

2. Eyebox:
    I "think" the EP-5 might have a slightly better eyebox, but I need to get the scope mounted before making that call.

3. Illumination:
    Slight improvement with EP-5, enough to notice at least. Still not "daylight bright". So, it should be a little more useful.

4. Weight/Robustness:
    EP-5 feels like a tank, a very "robust" feeling and in my opinion "similar" to how a Razor feels, though I believe a Razor is still heavier. Weight on mine is 40.1 ounces w/battery installed. I feel like I could drive stakes in the ground with the damn thing :). Once I get an SH-4 removed from one of the rifles, I'll compare them in hand side by side. Looking at the objective ends of the scopes, the rim is drastically thicker on the EP-5. I don't know if the scope's body is thicker all the way throughout or not.

5. Turrets:
    Huge improvement with the EP-5, like night and day better (and I really like the SH-4 turrets). The 10 mil per revolution is nice. The EP-5 clicks are more audible and tighter feeling, I'll say more tactile because everyone loves that word it seems. The only downside I could see on the EP-5 is with the detents have closer spacing, it will be easier to over-adjust when dialing. On a slow easy going range day, that should easily avoidable. In competition or something with a faster pace?

6. Diopter adjustment:
    One of my biggest gripes about the SH-4, is how hard the diopter ring is to adjust, it's way too tight. The EP-5 does not have that issue and I would compare it how a Vortex diopter adjustment feels. Smooth, not too tight or loose.

7.Parallax Adjustment:
    EP-5 parallax adjustment has a rotation of 330 deg versus 300 deg on the SH-4. It also goes to 1000 (vs 500) and then infinity. The EP-5 seems to be more spread out about 200.

8. Internal travel (elevation and windage):

9. I also checked my SH-4 scopes (genII 6-24x50).

10. A) 35.5 mil / 12.7 mil
    B) 35.6 mil / 12.7 mil
    C) 35.6 mil / 12.6 mil
    D) 35.6 mil / 12.8 mil
    E) 35.8 mil / 12.1 mil

2795970791.jpg

View attachment 179933

View attachment 179934

View attachment 179936

View attachment 179937

View attachment 179938

View attachment 179939

FIFY...added a TLDNR version and with all respect, doddg enumeration.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Alrighty folks, got my new Arken EP-5 5-25x56 scope the other day and spent the morning comparing it to my 5 other Arken scopes (SH-4 GenII 6-24x50). Here is an in-thread mini review for anyone who cares to read (gmcttr already stopped reading by this point....).

Glass/image quality:

Eyebox:

Illumination:

Weight/Robustness:

Turrets:

Diopter adjustment:

Parallax Adjustment:

A) 35.5 mil / 12.7 mil
    B) 35.6 mil / 12.7 mil
    C) 35.6 mil / 12.6 mil
    D) 35.6 mil / 12.8 mil
    E) 35.8 mil / 12.1 mil

2795970791.jpg

View attachment 179933

View attachment 179934

View attachment 179936

View attachment 179937

View attachment 179938

View attachment 179939
    This is probably the best review that I have ever read on Maryland Shooters.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down

Glass/image quality:

Eyebox:

Illumination:

Weight/Robustness:

Turrets:

Diopter adjustment:

Parallax Adjustment:

A) 35.5 mil / 12.7 mil
    B) 35.6 mil / 12.7 mil
    C) 35.6 mil / 12.6 mil
    D) 35.6 mil / 12.8 mil
    E) 35.8 mil / 12.1 mil

2795970791.jpg

View attachment 179933

View attachment 179934

View attachment 179936

View attachment 179937

View attachment 179938

View attachment 179939
    That’s a lot of pictures and words. Can you just you just put in big letters at the top if I should buy one or not?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I don't even know why I bother sometimes. Nobody appreciates my efforts. Thankfully, my Mommy still loves me. But she also hasn't read one of my scope reviews, so there's that.

I'd Google the reticle type, but now I don't know if I want to know since that pic was discluded.

Actually your reviews are helpful. Several brands I've never heard of. I wouldn't mind a different setup on the M77. Its a hunting rifle so a less busy reticle is priority. The one in the Nikko you sent me is choice (half mil-dot). It's on the 93v.

I spent hours browsing OP last couple weeks looking for "the one". The SWFA mil-quad on it is grand (love the scope), but I'm not sure it's for "that" rifle.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I have a Swampfox Patriot 6-24. Excellent glass and reticle for the price and was very happy with it. Ended up replacing it with a Bushnell Match Pro for illumination and more tactile turrets.

No a t-dogg worthy review but....FWIW.

I was leaning towards that one (SF). I like the lower end mag range for field use. I had originally considered the Nikko from TD for the rifle, but it just didn't seem beefy enough for the larger bores.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I was leaning towards that one (SF). I like the lower end mag range for field use. I had originally considered the Nikko from TD for the rifle, but it just didn't seem beefy enough for the larger bores.
    What about that Sig BDX combo with the range finder in the classies? Looks interesting. I believe 88 has that setup and seemed to like it.

For $350 it doesn't seem too bad of a deal. I haven't checked online pricing.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/th...3-bdx-scope-rangefinder-combo-350-nwi.517487/

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsonboys78
    Top Bottom