The CZickness XLIII prepping for winter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Morning all.

Prayers for CM, CKW and family.

Yesterday, the wife and I took the Mustang on a rally from Plainfield, to Nashville, IN, to Louisville. The drive was mostly back roads other than 67, 39, and 135 to Nashville. There was some spirited driving here and there, with the curves and what not. We spent around an hour in Nashville. Then the real fun started.

We took what I think is SR 135 south out of Nashville, with an accidental turn into Brown County State Park, nice covered bridge though. 135 south of Nashville is a hilly, twisty, turny lovely drive, where there was much spirited driving. We were headed to Seymour, where would get on to I-65 for the rest of the trip to Louisville.

Well along those back roads somewhere, I came around a corner a bit hot, and had a Tire Pressure Sensor alert on me. So while I was looking for a place to pull off, my wife was none to happy with me that I didn't use someone's driveway, we had a cat run between two northbound cars, and in front of our car. The cat didn't make it. I feel really bad about it. Eventually we found a place where there was a shoulder to pull off on, and the tires were all fine. We continued on our way till we hit the Truck stop in Seymour. We had a bit of rest there to use bathrooms, get fuel, drinks, etc. When we started up again the tire sensor had shut off.

We drove down I-65 to Louisville, they were going to Malibu Jacks. My wife and I decided to check out some other parts of Louisville. We hit Guy Fieri's Smokehouse. While it was good BBQ, 317BBQ is better. I did like the Alabama White Sauce though. My wife figured out that the flavor that she has been trying to make for pork chops is the Alabama White Sauce, she just didn't know what it was called. She had it as a kid when they lived in Florida.

Before we left Louisville, we hit a place called Sweet Surrender, and got desserts to take home. I got the Carmel Pound Cake, my wife got the Double Chocolate cake.

We had a nice uneventful drive back to Indy. Picked up some BBQ for our kid, and went home. The cakes were really good.

After all that, before the Mustang goes into hibernation for the winter, I need an oil change, check the brakes, and check the tires. These are the original tires that came with the car in 2013. I have put 37K on them, so probably near time to change them.

All in all, a good day, lots of fun.
    Wow....that's a busy day ! :thumbsup:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Youngest son earned the pleasure of dragging this one out of the wood this morning.

e1c6b4a6a5edb8ffa0b455157be6698a.jpg
    Love it! Congrats to him.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm sorry to hear about your family gun troubles, bc. Hate to hear stories like that. I got a Marlin/Glenfield 75 as a gift when I was a kid. I kept it at my Grandparents and it was hidden in a corner of their utility room. When they passed, my uncle and his friends "cleaned it out". Since I didn't keep it with my grandpa's guns, they didn't find it. I went up to take one last look at their house and miraculously it was still hidden. They had somehow missed it. Took all of the ammo I had for it but I didn't care.

It's still in my safe and always will be. I've brought it to all the Gala Events I've been to and love that rifle. So many good memories. Sorry for the long post, I know everyone has similar stories.

Happy Sunday.:)

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I used to have some really nice 1911’s. Then my friend Matt borrowed a bunch of them for a range trip with his BIL. Now he has most of them. Sure he paid me for them, but I think deep down there was some jealousy there.
    Are you saying I should keep my 1911's away from your friend Matt. I might know this person.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry to hear that. Something similar happened in my family. My dad is the middle of three brothers. When my grandfather passed, his older brother took some guns that were supposed to go to his younger brother. They didn’t speak for 30 years because of it. The older brother passed last year and they never reconciled.
    It just shows the true character of some men and woman. That goods and things are worth more than family and the love that is supposed to come with them.

I suffered through the same thing when my dad passed. Youngest sister turned into a greedy lunatic. We have not spoken since the estate was finalized and never will.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm sorry to hear about your family gun troubles, bc. Hate to hear stories like that. I got a Marlin/Glenfield 75 as a gift when I was a kid. I kept it at my Grandparents and it was hidden in a corner of their utility room. When they passed, my uncle and his friends "cleaned it out". Since I didn't keep it with my grandpa's guns, they didn't find it. I went up to take one last look at their house and miraculously it was still hidden. They had somehow missed it. Took all of the ammo I had for it but I didn't care.

It's still in my safe and always will be. I've brought it to all the Gala Events I've been to and love that rifle. So many good memories. Sorry for the long post, I know everyone has similar stories.

Happy Sunday.:)
    Reminds me of when my great grandfather passed and the family descended on the farm. I can never wrap my head around the greed and insanity that comes out.
    CKW's family are the poster children for how this is handled in a civil manner. When Gramma passed the siblings gathered and went through all her personal belongings taking time to pick and choose with the approval of all involved. It was so refreshing to do this in that way. Story's were told of memory's attached to many things she had kept. Everyone stepped up to get things in order. They all had a say in what took place. I picked out her coffin as they were just stuck on that decision. Handling these things can be done with love. You just have to want to.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    It just shows the true character of some men and woman. That goods and things are worth more than family and the love that is supposed to come with them.

I suffered through the same thing when my dad passed. Youngest sister turned into a greedy lunatic. We have not spoken since the estate was finalized and never will.
    Are we still talking about Matt?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Reminds me of when my great grandfather passed and the family descended on the farm. I can never wrap my head around the greed and insanity that comes out.
    CKW's family are the poster children for how this is handled in a civil manner. When Gramma passed the siblings gathered and went through all her personal belongings taking time to pick and choose with the approval of all involved. It was so refreshing to do this in that way. Story's were told of memory's attached to many things she had kept. Everyone stepped up to get things in order. They all had a say in what took place. I picked out her coffin as they were just stuck on that decision. Handling these things can be done with love. You just have to want to.

I'm greedy AF, but I try to reign it in and use it to fuel ambition in my career, but I never want to do it in a manner that hurts someone else.

When my Mother passed, my Sister was still alive. Her and her family had problems with money, mostly self inflicted. We each got $10k from an insurance policy my Mother had. A few months later, after some court/legal BS, we each got another $20k paid out from her estate. My Sister and her family had hers taken for taxes or something that they hadn't paid, don't remember what. I immediately gave her half of my portion. The way I looked at it, that's what my Mother would have wanted. Needless to say my wife at the time was PISSED. Told my 2nd wife about it and she assured me she would have been pissed as well... :dunno:

Just the kind of person I am. It wasn't my money to begin with and I helped my Sister the way my Mother would have wanted. To me, that was just the way it should be. I don't understand any other way to look at it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've found the same with red dots vs iron sights. Consistent presentation means that the sights are there no matter what, whether red dot or iron sights. I just need to get better at being consistent... ;)

Where the difference for me comes in is that with irons, I’m looking for the front sight. With dots, I’m looking at the target the whole time and the dot just appears where it needs to be. I struggle with that change by looking for the dot instead of just pushing out and the dot is there. If I focus on the target, it works well. If I’m in an iron sight mode, I find myself chasing the dot around

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Where the difference for me comes in is that with irons, I’m looking for the front sight. With dots, I’m looking at the target the whole time and the dot just appears where it needs to be. I struggle with that change by looking for the dot instead of just pushing out and the dot is there. If I focus on the target, it works well. If I’m in an iron sight mode, I find myself chasing the dot around
    This was my issue in the past. I would try to find the dot, then get on target. I would eventually get frustrated with it, and just grab a gun with iron sights instead. As my eyes continue to age, I need to give dots another try.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    This was my issue in the past. I would try to find the dot, then get on target. I would eventually get frustrated with it, and just grab a gun with iron sights instead. As my eyes continue to age, I need to give dots another try.
    This is still referring to Matt, correct?

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I like red dots on certain longer-barreled (longer than typical handgun) firearms, but have not adopted them on a handgun.
    Having read a large number of articles on the subject, and tried them on friends' pistols, I should be primed to make the leap.....but I hesitate.

Right thread now, WT ! ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom