Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I miss Doom! I used to play Doom with a couple of buddies from work. I think I liked Castle Wolfenstein better though. I'm guessing that the graphics, while great back in the day, would not impress today.

Nope. I remember loading it up for my son to play when he was young, so probably 10 years ago and it looked so bad I uninstalled it after just a few minutes. Ironically, I bought the new Doom a month ago and can't even play it. My system is under the minimum specs, which I found pretty bad (I have a Core i7, 12GB of RAM and a GTX 660 with 4GB of RAM). Need to buy a GTX 1060 when they go on sale tomorrow I guess... :ugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Never been a gamer and my kids did not go that way either. I put the latest greatest computers in their hands but they pretty much ignored them.
    School work and such but no games.

Now they are never without the phone and hooked up.....:dunno:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Never been a gamer and my kids did not go that way either. I put the latest greatest computers in their hands but they pretty much ignored them.
    School work and such but no games.

Now they are never without the phone and hooked up.....:dunno:

Yeah, I don't get the whole smartphone fascination. I have one, but use it sparingly compared to most people. Younger people act like it's the most important thing in their lives. I just don't get it. I've left my phone at home when heading to work before and not even missed it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, I don't get the whole smartphone fascination. I have one, but use it sparingly compared to most people. Younger people act like it's the most important thing in their lives. I just don't get it. I've left my phone at home when heading to work before and not even missed it.

If you watch the kids their hands are permanently shaped to carry the phone.

In my 20's my hands was shaped to hold a wrench (or a beer...:))

This is a serious addiction and nothing more.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think 'addiction' is the right word for it. Sure, smartphones can be handy and it is nice to be able to check the weather radar when out and about, but I think our society has become obsessed with instant information.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If you watch the kids their hands are permanently shaped to carry the phone.

In my 20's my hands was shaped to hold a wrench (or a beer...:))

This is a serious addiction and nothing more.

I think 'addiction' is the right word for it. Sure, smartphones can be handy and it is nice to be able to check the weather radar when out and about, but I think our society has become obsessed with instant information.

Yep, addiction is the right word for it. Sad.

Without my phone, you guys wouldn't hear from me.... Pretty much my sole communicator with the outside world.

Well, the problem has an easier solution than I'd thought... :laugh:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The rain has stopped for a bit, so I got to go for my walk. Happy Day!

On a totally unrelated note: Has anyone ever had the Ancestry.com DNA test done? If so, any surprises? My younger sister had it done and it turns out that our family is 10% Irish, 20% English and 40% Italian. The Italian and English has always been known to us, but we had no idea that we were part Irish. St Patty's day will be more fun next year for sure. The remaining 30% is a mix of western European, eastern European, Caucasus, Iberian Peninsula, European Jewish and Middle Eastern. That seems like an unlikely mix, but it came about some how. We grew up thinking that we were 50% Italian, and 50% English, French, Belgian and German. Interesting stuff.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The rain has stopped for a bit, so I got to go for my walk. Happy Day!

On a totally unrelated note: Has anyone ever had the Ancestry.com DNA test done? If so, any surprises? My younger sister had it done and it turns out that our family is 10% Irish, 20% English and 40% Italian. The Italian and English has always been known to us, but we had no idea that we were part Irish. St Patty's day will be more fun next year for sure. The remaining 30% is a mix of western European, eastern European, Caucasus, Iberian Peninsula, European Jewish and Middle Eastern. That seems like an unlikely mix, but it came about some how. We grew up thinking that we were 50% Italian, and 50% English, French, Belgian and German. Interesting stuff.
    I have not done the DNA test, I have spent a significant amount of time chasing the family back to Europe. I'm a big time mutt... English, German, French, Polish, Irish, Swiss. Can trace the French side back to the 1600's and the Swiss and English back to the 1400's. Pretty freakin incredible. I just found out last year that I had a little Irish in me, come St. Party's day though, I forgot.... I don't drink anyway...

Not my story, but a coworker of mine has a cousin that did the DNA test, turns out she's not even related to the family... She wasn't adopted, but they are thinking her and the real daughter were switched at birth. Once I heard that, I really don't care to know anymore....

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    All I know is that someone traced things back in the family at some point and I'm a mix of German, Irish and Scottish. Not sure of the validity, but that's what I was told.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    We were just talking about this last night. I would like to know what the cost. We've always known we were mostly from Scotland, Wales, a little German, and a whole bunch of other stuff. My wife is 100% Italian, so probably would not test her.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We were just talking about this last night. I would like to know what the cost. We've always known we were mostly from Scotland, Wales, a little German, and a whole bunch of other stuff. My wife is 100% Italian, so probably would not test her.

You might be surprised at what you get back if your wife does the test. My father was 100% Italian. Both of his parents came from Isernia in central Italy, yet, instead of being 50% Italian, we are only about 40% with a bunch of Caucasus, Eastern European and middle eastern mixed in. So, even though both of his parents were from Italy and sure seemed to be pure Italian, there was a mix in the bloodlines sometime in the past.

My sister said it cost her $99 to do the test, but occasionally they drop to $79 on special.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    You might be surprised at what you get back if your wife does the test. My father was 100% Italian. Both of his parents came from Isernia in central Italy, yet, instead of being 50% Italian, we are only about 40% with a bunch of Caucasus, Eastern European and middle eastern mixed in. So, even though both of his parents were from Italy and sure seemed to be pure Italian, there was a mix in the bloodlines sometime in the past.

My sister said it cost her $99 to do the test, but occasionally they drop to $79 on special.

She says, "I'm sorry for your family". LOL!!! I'm sure she has some mix...I'm not telling her that, but both her parents were born in Italy, near Naples, and I have been to the cemetery, and the grandparents go way back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom