The Czickness LIII….CZing into the summer with friends near and far.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm not familiar with fall mushrooms. I'm afraid I would be eating toad stools

Chantrelles are easier to see but are not as widespread as Morels. Patience posted pictures of some from his yard. They closely resemble a toxic mushroom, the jack-o-lantern, but the easy ID is what they look like underneath and if they are growing on rotting wood.

Cooking is a little different, you heat a skillet hot with the mushrooms in it until the water is driven out of them and it stops hissing, then add a lot of butter and saute. After this they can be eaten or used in a variety of dishes.

A great culinary prize in high end cooking they have been used for centuries in Europe.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Feel this, I've lived on this planet for 24 years, with multiple near death experiences. My luck I'd be taken out by a dang fungus.
    A mere baby. As I've gotten older the near death experiences have become farther in between. The last one is coming soon enough. No sense rushing it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Chantrelles are easier to see but are not as widespread as Morels. Patience posted pictures of some from his yard. They closely resemble a toxic mushroom, the jack-o-lantern, but the easy ID is what they look like underneath and if they are growing on rotting wood.

Cooking is a little different, you heat a skillet hot with the mushrooms in it until the water is driven out of them and it stops hissing, then add a lot of butter and saute. After this they can be eaten or used in a variety of dishes.

A great culinary prize in high end cooking they have been used for centuries in Europe.
    I hear the jack-o-lanterns glow in the dark and have gills. Chants have false gills and grow in the dirt. Am I right?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I hear the jack-o-lanterns glow in the dark and have gills. Chants have false gills and grow in the dirt. Am I right?

Jack-o-lanterns always grow on rotting wood, easy enough to avoid when you see the log they are on. Chantrelles always grow in the ground, but when I pick them I always take a hard look as they come out of the ground for a rotten log. Ad that to the other visual cues and it not that hard to get the right ones.

34vwoe10ndf11.jpg

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Slept late today but feel better, virus is fading, hope none of you pick it up anywhere. Going out to look for chantrelles after the rain today. They are good for breakfast with buttered grits on the side.
    My bestie came home from work early on Thursday feeling poorly. By sat the flu had her temp to 103.5° by last night she said she was feeling better.
    I'm just glad I'm in Mississippi.

Top Bottom