The Czickness LII.2…..the sunshine and roses version.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Got everything set up, supplies and chemicals all laid out, pot of boiling water, toaster oven, heat gun, gloves and carding brushes, etc.
    After first application of Express Blue & boil

1705010498830.jpeg
    after carding
    1705010540653.jpeg
    Second application/boil
    1705010579825.jpeg
    After Second carding
    IMG_0448.jpegIMG_0450.jpeg
    IMG_0451.jpegIMG_0454.jpeg
    Hoping to do 3-4 more cycles tomorrow and evaluate if more needed. Several on the the interwebs say keep doing until it no longer rusts with application of the bluing agent, others say until you like the color. So far am pleased with this first attempt but it is far from perfect/professional. There are splotches in a few places that I am hoping will be less noticeable with more rusting. Regardless, I think I will be happy with my X grade gun.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Got everything set up, supplies and chemicals all laid out, pot of boiling water, toaster oven, heat gun, gloves and carding brushes, etc.

View attachment 324988
    after carding
    View attachment 324989
    Second application/boil
    View attachment 324990
    After Second carding
    View attachment 324991View attachment 324992
    View attachment 324993View attachment 324994
    Hoping to do 3-4 more cycles tomorrow and evaluate if more needed. Several on the the interwebs say keep doing until it no longer rusts with application of the bluing agent, others say until you like the color. So far am pleased with this first attempt but it is far from perfect/professional. There are splotches in a few places that I am hoping will be less noticeable with more rusting. Regardless, I think I will be happy with my X grade gun.

"Carding" really smooths out the metal, and adds a shine !
    (what is 'carding, Norm ?)

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    "Carding" really smooths out the metal, and adds a shine !
    (what is 'carding, Norm ?)
    Carding is where you take a fine stainless steel brush/scotch brite pad/piece of coarse material such as denim and rub the metal to get the surface rust off.

“Carding refers to the process by which the gunsmith uses a fine wire brush or low-velocity fine wire wheel to remove almost all of the cultured black rust down to a uniform, thin layer. Iron oxide is very hard, and carding permits only the finest, hardest bottom layer to remain intact on the surface metal.”

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Carding is where you take a fine stainless steel brush/scotch brite pad/piece of coarse material such as denim and rub the metal to get the surface rust off.

“Carding refers to the process by which the gunsmith uses a fine wire brush or low-velocity fine wire wheel to remove almost all of the cultured black rust down to a uniform, thin layer. Iron oxide is very hard, and carding permits only the finest, hardest bottom layer to remain intact on the surface metal.”

Understood ! :thumbsup:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

View attachment 324988
    after carding
    View attachment 324989
    Second application/boil
    View attachment 324990
    After Second carding
    View attachment 324991View attachment 324992
    View attachment 324993View attachment 324994

Looks good.:thumbsup:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom